German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously posted about my first night at a local OB class being rather puzzling. We skipped last week due to inclement weather. This week Tuesday we moved to the 6:30 pm class, which is after the one we started in. More experienced handlers to a degree and calmer, non-aggressive dogs. But two crazy puppies

Captain (5 yr old GSD) is usually over stimulated at class or trials, etc. Won't sit still, constantly looking from thing to thing. Therefore, doesn't pay attention. Additionally, when at home he usually doesn't like to show me his belly. He will but he's not happy about it. Doesn't like belly rubs, or rib rubs as I call them, there's not much soft belly on my GSD, all ribcage.

He was so much more laid back and easy going at this class. I have taught him BANG in the last six months or so which he will do at home. I taught him just to lie on his side because of the belly issue but he started offering a behavior of actually lying on his back with feet in the air. At class Tuesday night, I told him to lie down and he offered me the lie on the back BANG. That tells me he's really enjoying himself and is comfortable. He will usually offer the BANG at home when he's really in a happy go lucky mood and is being silly. I was really surprised. That last 15 minutes of class is tough though, he's hot and tired and doesn't want to do much more. He does it but unenthusiastically.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts