German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, that is. LOL! A couple of days ago I decided to start taking Kodee's collar off at night. I was grooming him, and took his collar off to brush his neck, and thought "Wow, if I were a dog, I'd love to have this collar off sometimes." (I'm a weirdo, I guess
). ANYWAY, after Kodee goes out to potty before bed (he's an indoor dog), I take his collar off for the night. I can tell already that he loves it. He stands next to me when I remove his collar, and sticks his head under my hand, and I start scratchin' his naked neck, and he is in 7th heaven. LOL!

Anyone else give their dog Naked Time? I highly recommend it...

·
Registered
468 Posts
we pretty much only put Bogart's collar on when we take him somewhere or go for a walk. Think he enjoys being "naked" as well lol
Especially in this summer heat

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Same with my dogs ~they are neked. I don't like to hear the jingle of tags either, but I think of it more as a safety issue. I am dogsitting and first thing I did was remove her overly large collar, she would slip it easily if she got it hooked on anything anyway. I don't want my dogs getting caught up in one anothers collar during the rough play that never seems to end!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If we take Elmo's collar off, he looks at you like "Hey give that back to me. It's mine." Maybe he is bashful and doesn't like being naked.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yukon only wears his collar when we go out. You can see in the way he acts that he loves having it off, no more tags jingling around his head.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Kenya is now naked all the time. She's caught her collar on the door of her crate more than once. I used to leave a collar on her b/c DH would walk her or take her running in the afternoon and always took her out a leash b/c she did not trust him and would get scared if he tried to put a collar on. Now he works days so I come home to let the dogs out. Coke wears a thin rolled leather collar all the time, but he has such a thick coat it has never been an issue, and his coat prevents the tags from jingling. Dogs are required to be licensed here, and must WEAR their license in public (cannot carry it with you) so when Kenya leaves our property she wears a collar and a Quiet Spot for her tags b/c the jingle drives me nuts.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Cooper and Ava love naked time too!! Although, it doesn't happen very often but when it does they love it. They always have them on except when swimming or just to let their necks breathe a little bit. I guess b/c I'm so use to the noise of the tags I dont even hear it anymore ... I guess after a while I just tuned it out.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Gracie's always naked unless we go for a walk or out somewhere. She'll wear bandanas around the house or yard. She LOVES them. She'll slide her head into them to put them on.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Katie and Otto are naked except on walks or leaving the house. Usually I'll leave the collars on after our afternoon walk until bed time and Katie LOVES to get her neck really scratched and her hair fluffed again...

I equate it to taking off your bra after a long day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My pups are never naked, except bath time. I could never forgive myself if one of them got out and couldn't be returned because they weren't wearing a collar.

They do love having it off during bath time though. I usually let them run willy nilly for about ten minutes before putting their collars back on.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: untsmurfMy pups are never naked, except bath time. I could never forgive myself if one of them got out and couldn't be returned because they weren't wearing a collar.
Are your dogs microchipped?

Molly is naked all the time unless she is out for a walk or when she is out in the yard (she is always supervised when outside).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Brutus is. Pax isn't, yet. He's only been home a week and two days though. We'll get it soon. I know the microchip is there. I just hear horror stories of shelters that don't scan dogs. It makes me nervous.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mine wear their ruffwear harnesses to work (to hook to the seatbelt) and at night I will usually take them off and both dogs roll around in their naked glory.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Both pups wear their collars unless their getting a bath. They don't really notice their "nakedness"

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Both my dogs are naked all the time. Even on the yard I don't have them wear their collars. I am always out there supervising them, and they do not have their collars on. The only time they wear collars are when we go for a walk or to training.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dogs wear their collars most of the time. Heidi is chipped, has a tattoo and name/phone numbers on her tags. If she were to ever get off property I want to have the best chance that she is returned to me. Tags are the best forms of ID...most people will try to help a dog that has a collar and tag. No collar, less chance of help and quick return.

I do think they do enjoy naked time when I allow it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Along with what Barbara said, I would encourage everyone to check with the local shelters on how they handle strays. Here, dogs that come in with a collar and tag are held twice as long and they make more of an effort to find the owner (not that *I* wouldn't be calling every shelter in town!). There are steep fines for not licensing the dog, and like I said earlier, our laws required the dog to WEAR the license, not just have it. So anytime we go off our property, my dogs wear some kind of collar and their tags.

Before I got really into GSDs I never knew dogs were tattoed, so any strays I found before that time I never looked for a tattoo and I suspect most people that aren't super dog savvy don't know to look. It also surprises me how many people don't know about microchips (or how many people refuse to get them). All my animals are chipped as well, but the dogs always wear a collar and tags (county license and personal ID tag with my name, address, phone, dog's name, DOB, indication that the dog is altered and UTD on shots, and the dog's microchip ID #).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally Posted By: mollysmom
Originally Posted By: untsmurfMy pups are never naked, except bath time. I could never forgive myself if one of them got out and couldn't be returned because they weren't wearing a collar.
Are your dogs microchipped?

Molly is naked all the time unless she is out for a walk or when she is out in the yard (she is always supervised when outside).
Even if they are chipped, neighbours, police, . . . anyone without a reader does not know who the dog is. It also relies on an owner keeping the chip data up to date.

A collar and a tag is VERY cheap insurance. As you never know, what could happen, a house fire, break in, etc . .

These comments come up every few months here.

A collar, tag AND chipped is the only way to go. Apart from naked time under supervision of course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts