German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So today my bf and I took our GSD out to this pet-friendly trail for some fresh air. We've been here before and the people we usually meet are nothing but sweet and awesome. Well today, we decided to take a longer trail to let our babies explore.

We were about 30 minutes into the hike when we decided to stop and let the dogs get a drink of water. These two guys who looked like they were in their late 40s, with their golden labs were coming down the trail when we stopped on the side (out of everyone's way). These BIGOTS decided to stop and at first, they were complimenting our GSDs, saying how their coats are so shiny. One of the idiots tried to lean forward and rub his palm against the muzzle of my boy, Ace who started to bark. I told him it's not a good idea to do that and to not do that again. Ace is a very friendly dog, my cousin in law trusts her 5 month old twins wit him and my other GSD with no problem. The man then had the audacity to GRAB the leash from me and say that my dog is "untrained". His friend jumped in and said that Cesar Millan says that I needed to practice being the leader of the pack. As I tried to grab the leash BACK from the idiot, he decides to "test out one of Cesar's tips" and took his foot and kicked the hip of Ace. :shocked:

My other GSD Ark started to growl and bark. I was FURIOUS that he would do that, how dare he?! I yelled "WHAT'S YOUR language issues - please review board rules PROBLEM?! DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?" :mad: I gave that dude a little shove too, and I know I probably shouldn't have done that but I didn't care. I would've gone to jail and not cared. Nobody again with the language with my babies.

My boyfriend was FUMING. He grabbed the leash back which caused Ark to bark even louder. Now both GSDs are barking and growling, which causes the two guys to take a few steps back. They told me to learn to control my "bitches" and that's when all **** broke loose. I started yelling at them and told them to again off and if I ever see them again, they bet their and again the police will be called. :mad:

Why are people such idiots?! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I started not to allow unknown people to touch or play with my dog.
Just not worth the trouble. Too much idiot in this country and super sue friendly

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You should have let your dogs go and let them get a little payback for getting kicked by these idiots. Kidding, of course. But it's probably what they deserved.

There are plenty of idiots out there. I would have probably reacted the same way as you if someone even attempted that with my dogs.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wow. I would've flipped out, I think you kept your cool relatively well with just a "little shove" I probably would've kicked the guy in the shin... I'm generally not easy to anger, but my dogs are my one very weak spot.

Sad thing is... I've seen this a few times myself and thankfully avoided a few similar situations.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would have done more then just shove them. They would have had to call the police on me. No one messes with my son or my dogs:mad:

·
Registered
32,076 Posts
Ya know, I must be really lucky. When I have my dogs out, I really do not WANT to touch or mess with other people's dogs. And when other people have control of their own leashes, they aren't too keen to interact with my dogs.

The best thing to do is to remain calm as far as is possible. But for people to grab your leash while their dogs are, what? leash tied to the ground? That's crazy.

Yes, there are yayhoos that like to practice CEASAR on their friends, relatives, and even stranger's dogs. But how crazy.

Why do you say they are bigots though? Aren't bigots people who have no tolerance for minorities?

Anyhow, language law here on the site, does not allow for slipping in characters to beat the automatic censors, so be careful about how you portray your encounters. Stay calm for your dogs, but if someone kicked your dog, and your dog then bit the person, I think you might get away with that -- might. If someone kicks your dog and you level him, you are probably going to see some sort of legal repercussions.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a stranger grabs the leash out of your hand, kicks your dog and your boyfriend
stands there and does nothing.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i would have probably punched him in his mouth.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow. I cannot believe someone would be that stupid. I am actually just amazed at the stupidity. Who on earth (especially a dog owner!?) would grab the leash of another persons dog. My first dog would have literally lost her marbles...she was super protective- I would say your dogs are extremely well trained to have not lost their marbles at that so good for you! By the way your quote is a tad funny to read after that story haha ;) but in all honesty good for you I don't think you could have done any better in that situation...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you no have to stay. go your smart people country.

I started not to allow unknown people to touch or play with my dog. Just not worth the trouble.

>>>> Too much idiot in this country and super sue friendly<<<<

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would have kicked him in a 'very private place' and called the cops for attempted damage to my property.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My boyfriend wouldn't have had a chance to do anything except hold the dogs for me ;) . I have very low tolerance for idiots, especially those that mistreat animals or children. Since I have no criminal record, I would have no problem making that guy regret his decision and I figure I'd survive the ramifications as a first-offender lol. As I say when it comes to my daughters, "Don't mess with Mama."

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think you held it better than I would or my dog. I probably would have shoved him harder and kicked the crap out of then and especially when the grabbed my leash my dog would have flipped he is insanely protective especially when it comes to me making a screaming sound. Even when messing around with my dad and I scream or shove him Chief is right there starting growling, but for a stranger to grab your leash and kick your dog or touch it like Cesar does, but to practice a training technique without your permission is ridiculous

·
Registered
123 Posts
good for you for having restraint. I would have given him a face full of bear spray!! and a *private parts* full of it.

·
Registered
32,555 Posts
Wow. I'm not even sure what to that. You did hold it together well. And if your boyfriend had jumped, it would only gotten worse with these macho men. I think I would have called the police. He did harm your dog by kicking it. And maybe the police could have better explained to the CM groupies that grabbing a dog bred to have aggression in them is a not so smart thing to do.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
OMG! I would have had a hard time holding it together as well as you did. I don't think Raina would take kindly to a stranger grabbing her leash from me during an altercation either. She reads my body language like a book and would probably have bitten the guy that kicked her especially if I raised my voice to him. I'm not sure which one of us would have hurt the guy first, her or me, but I know he would have left that place limping for sure. Don't touch my dog or my daughter and you won't meet Momma Bear. PS - I know if she bit the guy I would be in trouble but her job is to defend me and she would. And I would probably be in trouble as well for defending her so all in all I would say you have great strength of character and very good self control. Congratulations on handling a bad situation without making it worse.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If it were me I would have told the guys to not go rubbing the dog in the first place. I tell people the dog will approach them if it wants to and the dog won't respect them if they approach it. That will stop most people.

Then you can explain how a dog rely s on scent for identification and if it can't smell a person in peace then it will be suspicious of them. Engaging people you meet in conversation is better than just observing them making moves on your dogs. Giving them something to think about is a plus.

The easiest way I find of limiting aggressive displays between adults or dogs is to keep my distance/ walk away or tightly control my dogs to be at my side sitting.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts