German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zeus is now 7 months and 2 weeks. He is 22 inches at the withers and weighs around 38 to 40 pounds and for the past two months he has stopped growing taller

We feed him Royal Canin dog food for German Shepherd with lots of fruits, vegetables and eggs but they seem to not do anything about his growth

I'm kinda confused now, if he's a purebred or not, because he's not as big as some German Shepherd I have seen on this forum

Please is there anything I can do to help him grow better and is it even possible for him to grow taller at this point. I would really appreciate your replies
Thanks
Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Door

This is a current picture of him

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
they grow so fast those first 6 months. Around the 7th month it changes to a slow and steady increase. If everything else is healthy, don't worry about it. GSDs aren't meant to be huge and a smaller dog can be very nimble.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My dog's growth slowed down at around 7-8 months. I don't do anything different besides increasing his exercise about every month. He's going to continue to grow for a couple more years but it won't be as noticeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they grow so fast those first 6 months. Around the 7th month it changes to a slow and steady increase. If everything else is healthy, don't worry about it. GSDs aren't meant to be huge and a smaller dog can be very nimble.
Thanks for your response
My vet actually told me the same thing. I just hope he gains a little more height

·
Registered
7 Posts
My guy is 64lbs and I think around 24in at 2 years. He’s definitely on the smaller side for a male, but I’ve come to like his size, especially after having mixes that were 90lbs and 120lbs. I do get lots of comments about him being a “mini shepherd” but I tend to just ignore those.

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
My guy is 64lbs and I think around 24in at 2 years. He’s definitely on the smaller side for a male, but I’ve come to like his size, especially after having mixes that were 90lbs and 120lbs. I do get lots of comments about him being a “mini shepherd” but I tend to just ignore those.
I get "he's a small Shepherd" at 80 pounds

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I've an oversized dog, we didn't plan it that way, he just kept growing. I'd be happy if he was shorter and 35lbs lighter, as I can't carry him. In a medical emergency, on my own, I wouldn't be able to get him in my car.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've an oversized dog, we didn't plan it that way, he just kept growing. I'd be happy if he was shorter and 35lbs lighter, as I can't carry him. In a medical emergency, on my own, I wouldn't be able to get him in my car.
I feel the same way. I never saw Frankie's sire so I have no idea how big he is. Frankie is 10 months old and already 2" taller than my 85lb 11.5-year old and already weighs almost 82 lbs. I would have preferred smaller, but he is what he is and I'll take whatever I get. He is a pistol.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Here's Nitro 2 minutes ago. He's almost 9 years old, the meds he is on make keeping his weight optimal very difficult, as well as him having osteoarthritis. He's shedding furiously at the moment as summer is coming.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Grey

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Snout

47/48 kilos,

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Window

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts