German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it but Akbar has destroyed the door to the outside kennel. I knew he was strong but not this strong. I left him in the outside kennel which is like 10X10 or so, maybe longer, and I come to check on him 10 minutes later and there he is ripping the kennel apart like it's paper... His head was through it, almost had his shoulders out. I've never had a dog that was this strong that they would rip apart a metal link kennel just to get out.

When he was only 3 months, he was able to rip the bottom part of the kennel by lifting the metal links apart and slipping under it. So I zip tied those puppies to the bottom part and he has not been able to do that again. Then later he was able to seperate the door far enough apart that he was able to escape. Fixed that by putting sturdy zip ties whenever I wanted the kennel door to stay shut. That stopped working when he was around 5 months because he could body slam the door and the zip ties would fly off so I started using a leather leash to tie the door together. Now at 6 months he has been able to rip the metal links apart with his teeth.... No idea how I can fix that problem, the door is completely ruined. Any ideas for a better kennel door?

Guess I know what his future holds when he's older, weight pulling and bite work.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
try 1" thick reinforced steel pannels. Or maybe you can set a little cryptonite outside the kennel to weaken him a bit..... Honestly, I dont know but my heart goes out to you!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i feel for you. had a boy long ago who could chew thru chain link. adapted my lifestyle so that he never had to stay in a kennel or be confined.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I had done a lot of research to build a secure kennel to contain my goofballs and you really have to look into wolf containment and how they do that. Had a contractor come out and get estimates and we were going to use 11.5 gauge mesh? Much tougher, whatever the gauge was, he just said it was "prison gauge." He said he had one customer whose labs could still rip holes in that though.

This site had kennel parts you could order and they fit the bill for wolf containment but we have put off working on that until after the winter.
http://www.hooverfence.com/kennel2.htm

Here's a wolf dog containment site:
http://www.inetdesign.com/wolfdunn/containment/

Yea they are something, those jaws - a wonder of nature.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've given up on my outdoor kennel awhile ago. Sounds just like my boy. At first he destroyed the bottom of the kennel and would crawl out, then learned to ram the door and FINALLY when i thought I had the kennel secure and I was SURE he couldnt get out I watched him (through the kitchen window) scale the 7ft side of the kennel and jumped out like nothing. He was only 7 months old at the time so I'm sure he could do it now even more efficiently. The weird thing is, once he's out of the kennel he's perfectly fine and will entertain himself in the yard. For some reason he hates that kennel.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Kelso did the same sort of thing when he was 4-5 months old after we got an outdoor freestanding kennel from the suggestion of a trainer as he was "high energy" Now that I think back I have no idea why we wasted all that money (it was expensive and supposed to be one of the "tough" ones) and time (trying to get him to like the kennel) as we never even wanted to keep him outside in it, he did awesome in an indoor crate from day 1. And if he was "high energy" which he was, I now realize that bigger oudoor kennel probably just gave him more room to do something crazy...like try to get out! We just said no way and just crated him indoors, I was afraid he was really going to hurt himself. (and ruin his teeth for the bitework we were planning on eventually doing with him at the time) We did try the zip tye thing...he destroyed them

Now the thing just sits in our backyard, a real eyesore, although I use it for a "grooming salon" and storage area. I understand that GSDs are kept in really nice reinforced outside kennels with great success ect, I am not trying to get in an argument about that...but if they are happy and safe being crated inside, and that is an option, that is what worked better for us. Just wasnt worth it for us the other way. Now that he is older he could rip the thing to shreds for sure, jump it, or possibly bark on and on if outside alone... he has never been a sep anxiety type of dog outside or in the house, but the outdoor kennel thing did not go well. I learned my lesson there!

With that said, we did have to board him at our SchH trainers at one point and they have a nice facility with an indooor/outdoor kennel setup with concrete walls and a chain link door and access to an indoor climate controlled portion and he did fine there. So, just not something worth setting up at our house, especially since we only have 2 dogs and they are indoors 90% of the time...we also have close neighboors and I have a feeling if they were outside when we were not home they would find something like barking, ect to entertain themselves. Inside, crate, there is nothing to do but sleep!!! heheh

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've had the kennel a long time before Akbar came. I use it mostly for when I'm outside and I'm doing yard work and I don't want them in the way, especially when I'm mowing. Cody and Isa just hang out in there, never a problem.

Akbar is put in there because I can't watch him all the time when I'm cleaning or doing something else in the house that requires my focus so I would put him in the kennel.

And yes, he does have seperation anxiety but it's not as bad as it was. In his crate he's fine but I don't want to have to put him in his crate since he can't move much, unlike in the outside kennel where he can. If I just leave him in the backyard, he'll dig or do something he's not suppose to, lol.

Guess I'll have to look at those wolf kennels, lol. Akbar's a little shark.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
LOL Akbar, you beast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts