German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Does your vet carry FortiFlora? That helped a lot when mine had Giardia. It did not go away right away, and the vet gave us too many cycles of antibiotics. Then I came here and saw FortiFlora recommended, so I asked the vet for it. That worked. We eventually stopped treating with anything except the probiotics and it went away on its own. He developed a lot of allergies, though, which I think was from the lengthy antibiotic regimen. One round of good meds should knock it out.
Yes! The vet did give me a months supply. So I hope that helps like it did for you. 馃槉

Registered
Moving from one home to another is very stressful for animals, especially young ones. The stress often causes any germs in their system to start multiplying, and make them ill. In livestock, farmers call it 'shipping fever'. I think this is what's happened here.

Glad he's feeling better! And that breeder sounds like a darn good one!

Registered
See I don鈥檛 know any of this stuff as I mentioned he is my first pup/dog. So I wonder why she held onto them. Could you tell me more about why they don鈥檛? I have so much to learn!

The vet says he has giardia but that the fever isn鈥檛 typically a symptom of giardia. His temp has gone down a little as well and he seems to be eating the bland diet as well so those are good signs.

Thank you for your feedback!
Puppies WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY with all their problems-mostly miner-but you wouldn't have any other way-life is just more richer with a puppy. my new pup got well from giardia, coccidia and giardia protozoan in puppies is nothing new and will happen, mine had one then got the other and of course since she now lives on a farm she will get other nasties/worms/tick bites etc so you just have to keep up with pups med and make sure you keep up with their vet wellness checks, plus I dont see the problem with the quarantine-your vet would know all about that. you should be fine-trust you gut feelings and see the vet for piece of mind.

Registered
Well I have been looking around for a male for a little while now then with corona it seemed like they were going so quickly. I reached out to this breeder and asked if she had any male pups available and she said she has a litter of 6 imports and I would be able to get one of the males, there were 4. So I decided to go for it.

I will look into those options. Thank you.
its ok to import if that is what you wanted.

Registered
I also believe you are on the right track. I am glad you are a good dog mom! German Shepherds can have sensitive tummies. Mine came from an excellent line, yet we had the same kind of problems in the beginning. I am not saying yours will be the same as mine, but the "mucus" in the stool struck a nerve. We have things under control now, but it was a LONG road. Our baby is 9 years old now, and we still get an occasional Issue. Her underlying issue is allergies, and once we learned that, we began to make progress. I have had great luck with vets who have extra training in Chinese medicine and who practice with more of a wholistic approach. Immunotherapy was a godsend, and it is easy today with blood test to find the allergen and easy drops you put under the tongue. Another extreme help was digestive enzymes. Recently, after a really bad week long episode, my vet sent my girl's bloodwork to Texas A & M, and we got a diagnosis of disposes (leaky gut). Just another piece to the puzzle. A great vet is really key, one who doesn't automatically use steroids and antibiotics. Long post, but I wanted to share because, as a GSD lover, I know they are worth every action we can take to keep them healthy. Good luck with your beautiful boy! You are on the road to a decade or more of extreme love, loyalty, and fun!!!!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts