German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So I'm freaking out. I just got my first puppy last Saturday June 6th. He is 14 weeks old (born 3/2/2020). Came from Germany at 10 weeks to the breeder in NH she then holds them for 30 days to make sure they are good to go.

Since I got him hes been pretty laid back, just seems to want to lay around and sleep, hasn't had much of appetite for his kibble but loved treats, cheese, carrots etc. I just attributed it to unfamiliar surroundings and missing his litter mates. Then Wednesday afternoon he didn't want to eat anything, even treats and he started having diarrhea. He always drinks water however.

At night I take him out about every three hours, he always pees and late Wednesday 6/9 through yesterday 6/10 when he would go to the bathroom it was like a mucus, and he still wasn't eating. So at 3pm yesterday I brought him to the ER vet. They said he had a fever and his white blood cell counts were elevated. They took x-rays but didn't see anything. They also sent a stool sample out to be tested, and put fluid under his skin because they said he was slightly dehydrated. They gave me three medications to give him and told me to feed him a bland diet of mostly chicken and rice.

At about 8pm last night he ate about 3/4 of the chicken and rice, then about the same at 7am this morning, he just now ate a little more. which I think is a good sign. Also as of this morning he has had regular diarrhea and not the mucus. He did poop on the bed he was laying on outside earlier this morning.

As I said this is my first dog so I don't know if I'm overreacting. I cant eat I feel so bad for him. He doesn't seem to want to leave the crate, even to pee I have to go in and kind of pull him up and out. When I went to reach in and pat him a little while ago he got up and went to the back corner of the crate. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am going to try to attach the vet paperwork. I don't know what to do.

I also had him scheduled for a regular vet check up today at 11:30am I am still bringing him to that to see what they have to say.

He is up to date on his shots.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could be so many things or a combination thereof. You're covering the possible presence of parasites with the vet, so that's good. Has the puppy's food been of a consistent brand and type? Going from potentially different food in Germany to your breeder to you could upset the tummy, and even adjusting to a bland diet may take a little bit to firm up the stool. Also, the poor little guy is probably terrified. I got my pup at 16 weeks, and she was freaked out. Definitely saw some loose stool in those first days.

Also keep in mind that doxy can cause loose stool moving forward, so you may not see change there if the regimen is longer than a few days (mine was on it for 30 days).

I hope things get worked out! Congrats on your pup.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
You are doing the right thing. Yes, I would inquire about the food he got in NH. I think it is kinda odd to keep him for 30 days after he came from Germany. Could he have been sick during this time? Maybe ask her vet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The breeder said she kept them 30 days to quarantine them. To make sure they were good for their new homes. There were 6 of them. She said they were all healthy. Her vet checked them out on 6/4 as well saying they were healthy. So idk. There is always the chance that isn’t true.

The breeder told me to feed him Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20. That is what she recommends and what she was feeding the puppies.

I’m just nervous and want him to get better 😒

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Could be so many things or a combination thereof. You're covering the possible presence of parasites with the vet, so that's good. Has the puppy's food been of a consistent brand and type? Going from potentially different food in Germany to your breeder to you could upset the tummy, and even adjusting to a bland diet may take a little bit to firm up the stool. Also, the poor little guy is probably terrified. I got my pup at 16 weeks, and she was freaked out. Definitely saw some loose stool in those first days.

Also keep in mind that doxy can cause loose stool moving forward, so you may not see change there if the regimen is longer than a few days (mine was on it for 30 days).

I hope things get worked out! Congrats on your pup.
The Breeder said they were eating Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 so that’s what I’ve been giving him. He hasn’t had a huge appetite but it could be because he is terrified.a couple days ago I mixed it with cottage cheese which he seems to like better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dogs from EU don't need to be quarantined.
See I don’t know any of this stuff as I mentioned he is my first pup/dog. So I wonder why she held onto them. Could you tell me more about why they don’t? I have so much to learn!

The vet says he has giardia but that the fever isn’t typically a symptom of giardia. His temp has gone down a little as well and he seems to be eating the bland diet as well so those are good signs.

Thank you for your feedback!

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Just curious why you decided to import a dog as a first dog? Was he quarantined at the vet clinic? If Giardia doesn't clear up try Koccifree (or Kochifree?) and Bowel Pathogens. That cleared up Giardia in my 1 year old dog and it never came back (she is 6 now).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have been looking around for a male for a little while now then with corona it seemed like they were going so quickly. I reached out to this breeder and asked if she had any male pups available and she said she has a litter of 6 imports and I would be able to get one of the males, there were 4. So I decided to go for it.

I will look into those options. Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious why you decided to import a dog as a first dog? Was he quarantined at the vet clinic? If Giardia doesn't clear up try Koccifree (or Kochifree?) and Bowel Pathogens. That cleared up Giardia in my 1 year old dog and it never came back (she is 6 now).
Sorry I missed your other question. No not at a vet. The breeder in NH kept the puppies together away from the other dogs etc.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
@Jmarie I'm sorry your pup isn't well and worrying you. It's hard when a young pup is sick. You've done the right things. Kept him on a food he was used to eating. Got him vet care asap when he wasn't seeming well. He's been through a lot though. He was shipped on a long flight. Then when he was likely settling into his new place he was homed to you. That's a lot and now he isn't feeling up to par. So don't feel badly he isn't feeling social quit yet. He will come around once he is feeling better.
Seems like your vet(s) are on top of things. I've read Giardia takes 1 to 3 weeks for symptoms to appear (varifiy this with your vet to be sure). So if you have only had your pup for a few days he likely came to you already infected. I would discuss this with your breeder. The other pups in the litter may be ill as well. Giardia isn't uncommon and can spread easily through a litter. Also , if you have a health guarantee your breeder if worth his/her salt might help out with your vet bills. If nothing else they should be made aware your pup became ill within days of you picking him up so other owners can be notified.
Be sure to clean up after your pup to prevent reinfection. Be sure that you wash your hands well after cleaning up after your pup. This article may be helpful

Give it time. Let the meds work and take a breath. Your doing fine by your pup.

Oh and congrats on the new pup! We love pictures around here so if you feel so inclined to indulge us with pics of your cutie we won't complain. 😉

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
See I don’t know any of this stuff as I mentioned he is my first pup/dog. So I wonder why she held onto them. Could you tell me more about why they don’t? I have so much to learn!
Well they don’t need to be quarantined by law.... however she can have her own policy as a breeder/broker based on her experience or arrangement with the eu kennel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@Jmarie I'm sorry your pup isn't well and worrying you. It's hard when a young pup is sick. You've done the right things. Kept him on a food he was used to eating. Got him vet care asap when he wasn't seeming well. He's been through a lot though. He was shipped on a long flight. Then when he was likely settling into his new place he was homed to you. That's a lot and now he isn't feeling up to par. So don't feel badly he isn't feeling social quit yet. He will come around once he is feeling better.
Seems like your vet(s) are on top of things. I've read Giardia takes 1 to 3 weeks for symptoms to appear (varifiy this with your vet to be sure). So if you have only had your pup for a few days he likely came to you already infected. I would discuss this with your breeder. The other pups in the litter may be ill as well. Giardia isn't uncommon and can spread easily through a litter. Also , if you have a health guarantee your breeder if worth his/her salt might help out with your vet bills. If nothing else they should be made aware your pup became ill within days of you picking him up so other owners can be notified.
Be sure to clean up after your pup to prevent reinfection. Be sure that you wash your hands well after cleaning up after your pup. This article may be helpful

Give it time. Let the meds work and take a breath. Your doing fine by your pup.

Oh and congrats on the new pup! We love pictures around here so if you feel so inclined to indulge us with pics of your cutie we won't complain. 😉
Hello! Thank you for your response! You’re right about the traveling that probably took a toll on him.
I informed the breeder of everything, she seems concerned and called to check on him. The pup his name is Vinson was seen by her vet on 6/4, I picked him up on 6/6. The vet did a stool test which came back negative the breeder forwarded it to me (I have attached it). Do you think it would take 1-3 weeks for it to be seen in his stool as well?

On Thursday (after the ER but before his vet appt yesterday) I asked if she’d be willing to help out with the vet bill she said no but did offer for me to bring him up there for her vet to look at him diagnose and treat any problems at her expense. It’s about a 2.5 hour drive so I just thanked her and said I was going to bring him to my vet here yesterday for his appointment.
I will definitely make sure I clean up after him we do NOT want him reinfected!

Thank you very much! I will attached some pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
I really have nothing to add on the medical side. I think continuing with your vet is the best thing to do.

I just wanted to say that your breeder did nothing wrong by refusing to pay the bill. She can't just pay all bills people present to her but she did offer to have you bring the puppy to her and she would pay expenses in full. That is far more than most breeders would do. I don't think it's fair to her to have the statement of "If it was me I would have definitely offered to help "put out there, with receipt that has her kennel name on it, as if she didn't offer to help at all when in fact she offered to care for the puppy and pay medical expenses in full.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Giardiasis very unlikely will manifest with fever and elevated white count.
Oh ok! He seems to be doing better this morning, more alert and eating! So I’m happy about that!
I really have nothing to add on the medical side. I think continuing with your vet is the best thing to do.

I just wanted to say that your breeder did nothing wrong by refusing to pay the bill. She can't just pay all bills people present to her but she did offer to have you bring the puppy to her and she would pay expenses in full. That is far more than most breeders would do. I don't think it's fair to her to have the statement of "If it was me I would have definitely offered to help "put out there, with receipt that has her kennel name on it, as if she didn't offer to help at all when in fact she offered to care for the puppy and pay medical expenses in full.
Oh I know! If I sounded ungrateful I wasn’t and I’m not upset with her. I understand she was nice to offer and I could have accepted but chose not to. I would have taken her up on it if it turned out to be more serious of an illness. I have spoken with her a few times and she has been very nice.
I didn’t even realize I left the name on there, I just cropped it out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Does your vet carry FortiFlora? That helped a lot when mine had Giardia. It did not go away right away, and the vet gave us too many cycles of antibiotics. Then I came here and saw FortiFlora recommended, so I asked the vet for it. That worked. We eventually stopped treating with anything except the probiotics and it went away on its own. He developed a lot of allergies, though, which I think was from the lengthy antibiotic regimen. One round of good meds should knock it out.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Happy to hear Vinson is starting to feel better. It was very nice of your breeder to offer vet care by her vet. I can see why you declined. 2.5 hr drive is a bit of a drive.
Thank you for the puppy pics. He sure is a cutie and those huge leaning ears are adorable :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts