German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old puppy is generally good with strangers and frends. but my best friend comes around and he acts like someone is trying to kill him. Angry or scared barking and tries to knock the door down and no control. This only happens with this one guy. has been going on for about 4 months now. ive had him ignore him and throw treats. hes been a best friend to all of my dogs for the last 30 years and i cant figure it out. its really bothering me. If anyone can help I would truly appreciate it.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Is your friend loud? Overly friendly or outgoing?
Some dogs are sensitive to that.
If that is the case have your friend be quiet and ignore your dog
but if your dog approaches him have him give the dog a treat.
Another thing is that dogs are sensitive to odors.
Does your friend use cologne? After shave?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I can think of is he has a deep voice. maybe spooked him when he was younger. just tried ignoring him and the barking got so bad i had to remove him from the situation. I will keep trying though.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Did he by chance do something when your pup was a bit younger? Not intentional, but something to scare him? My brother once barked back at a Pomeranian that we had and from that day on, that dog hated him/was scared of him with a passion.

Ok, I just read your reply. If he spooked him, then yep - thats probably it. As much as some people like to believe that dogs live in the moment, they don't forget some things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had alot better night tonight. He threw a little fit and we ignored him, then slowly he started coming around and I had my friend throw chunks of ham to him. Still wont let him pet him but he will lay less than 10 feet away. not so nervous but watchful. gonna go with that for awhile then see if later he will take food from his hand. one step at a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts