German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is in the wrong section please move it to the right one.

So a little background information. My friend and her family found a little stray dog and took him in. They named him Milo, and seriously looks like an Ewok its scary. I am all for people rescuing strays and taking them in as long as they do responsibly. I know my friend and her family have good intentions, but they just aren't doing it very well.

Now the problem. Milo has some issues, he is aggressive(mild) towards humans if you tick him off, around food, and other dogs. They have another dog, a male black Lab(Don't get me started on that issue.)He has never shown aggression towards me so I guess me and him are cool. Also he smells bad, my friend says they gave him a bath, obviously not a good enough one.I think he has a flea problem, I sometimes get itchy after petting him. Also he pees in the house. He doesn't listen to my friend or any of the family, very disobedient, its like they expected him to be trained!:crazy: (I seriously think they are taking the time to actually train him properly) He humps things and people.He will take off out the door and will run away if he gets out.

My friend constantly complains to me about him about how Milo did this and that. I have given her advice, but she refuses to listen to me.Yes she asks, but will still not listen to me. When I am with Milo he is a total sweetheart, and is nice to me.

He is not neutered, obviously not trained, not vaccinated, has not been taken to a vet.I have talked to her about doing those things, but she gets mad at me and gives me the excuse that they don't have the money. They are in the middle of remodeling their house so I can see why they need to save money. But WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD TAKE IN A DOG WHEN YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO CARE OR TRAIN HIM PROPERLY!?!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now for the reasoning of the thread title. My friend told me her family were going to talk about whether or not to give Milo away or keep him.So me and her were working out at our fitness class yesterday and she tells me that her family decides they are going to keep him. Then she goes on to tell me that they did some reading in regards to his peeing in the house issue. I was thinking "Ok thats a good start, researching about the things you need to work on with the dog."

She proceeds to tell me that the reason Milo is peeing in their house is because: He is saying thank you for letting him stay in their house.:help::crazy: I just wanted to burst out laughing, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings and embarrass her in public. So I just nodded and smiled trying to contain my laughter. I don't know where my friend got this information, but it just sounds completely insane to me. When she said that this was playing my head:

Human: "You can stay with us, and we will give you food shelter and water."
Dog: "Thank you! In return I will pee all over your house!":wild:

In case you are wondering why I think her dog should be neutered? 1. He is a stray. 2. He is a mutt 3.He is not vaccinated and has not been seen by a vet so who knows what medical issues he has. 4. He has aggression issues(HA, Food, & DA). I believe my friend should have taken the dog in and called Animal control and let them handle him, and they wouldn't have had these problems!!

I just had to let this out. I don't know why I attract these bad examples of dog ownership as friends. But I do indeed have friends who are wonderful dog owners, I have one friend who will listen and take my advice on dog ownership and ask me for advice on dogs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So does this mean my doggies aren't thankful for anything we do because they don't pee in the house? :D LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know right?lol. My dogs aren't very thankful either because they don't pee in the house.lol

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone else has their friend or someone tell them something as stupid as "Peeing is saying thank you"?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol our neighbors Yorkie pees and poos in their house constantly. She says its him saying," I HATE YOU!" if my dogs pee in my house to say thank you... sorry you refuse to housetraing, your outta here!!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think she is making excuses not to potty train. She says that they will just put him outside when they leave so he won't pee in the house.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Are some people born under a rock? Seriously? Sorry I know she is your friend but for real!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
well I guess Chopper is very grateful because he poos and pees (accidents) in the house even though he hates doing it lol. The other two must hate me because they don't go in the house lol.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are some people born under a rock? Seriously? Sorry I know she is your friend but for real!
No offense taken. I have tried to talk to her but she gets mad at me. Its to the point where I don't bother talking about dogs at all. She wants to volunteer at the shelter with me, but I am no so sure about that.:crazy:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yay!!!!! My baby Jackie said a BIG THANK YOU to us this morning with a huge pile of diarrhea! We must be really good parents! :silly: LOL!!!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
No offense taken. I have tried to talk to her but she gets mad at me. Its to the point where I don't bother talking about dogs at all. She wants to volunteer at the shelter with me, but I am no so sure about that.:crazy:
maybe letting her volunteer at the shelter will be a good thing for her and teach her how to care for dogs properly ;)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sending her a message on Facebook about what I think, maybe it will help her.lol

Yea I htink it will be a good thing, but the fact she may want to hang out the whole time instead of working may be a problem.lol

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
yea that might be a problem, but try to explain to her that this is time to work and after you guys can hang out :) worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yep. I am going to go all professor on her.lol. I told her the orientation will be kind of personal.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
haha do what ever you have to do to get the message across.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am torn.

I went to her house yesterday because we were making something for a friend.

Well, this past week we have been having a heat wave, Monday reaching to about 113 degrees.Well anyways, I get there and both of her dogs are outside. Both are hot and thirsty, she gives them water, but they need WAY more water. Also, this is the first time I have noticed this. I was sitting down and Milo rolls onto his back and I see this HUGE black lump near his man parts. It was disgusting. I asked my friend about it. She said they took him to the vet and they vet didn't know what it was. Of course that set off alarms in my head.

I am thinking she is 1.Lying to me. or 2. Did go to the vet, and the vet didn't know for sure what it was, but offered to do tests and remove it and her family said no. Also not to mention both dogs are in need of a some serious grooming. I know dogs will get dirty, mine do. But both dogs look like they haven't been bathed in weeks!

My main problem is that I have been friends with this girl since middle school and she knows I love animals and passionate about the well being of them. But what hurts me is that she doesn't support me in by caring for her dogs properly. Its like if she had a family member who died of lung cancer due to smoking, I wouldn't smoke, because I would know it would hurt her to see that.

I am just really torn. Should I call AC on her or not worry about it?I have tried to talk to her but she won't listen or makes up excuses. She is a good friend, but obviously not that good of one if she won't support me. I would offer to take Milo to a vet to get help, but I don't have the time, or money right now.

What would do in this situation?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts