German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Baron likes to put everything in his mouth to chew it. In our back yard we have simple things such as leaves, grass, and snow. In addition we have things like mulch, rocks, animal feces (Deer, which I clean up when I find it), Rose bushes, random charcoal from summer bar-bq, sticks, etc..

Its a full time job just to keep his mouth clean when were are outside with him. I'm assuming leaves, grass, and snow are not harmful but my worry is with him ingesting rocks and other materials. I'm also worried about the animal feces from the deer, rabbits, and neighborhood cats with him being a puppy and not having all his vaccinations.

What things should I be worried about if I don't catch him in time (even though I am always watching him) and what things are not that big of a concern?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
mulch could possibly cause blockages, particularly the rubber crap. rocks too. don't THINK charcoal is dangerous as long as it doesn't have lighter fluid in it... anyone?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I would say poop is the worst thing on that list, although it's not going to kill him. He'll pick up parasites though. If it's raccoon poop, that's particularly bad. Train the "leave it" command and keep a close eye on him. You could also put up some fencing to try and keep the critters out of his play area.

And hopefully the mulch you have is untreated, because that would concern me. I'd also advise not spraying your yard with chemicals if you let your dog out to play there. I know someone whose dog just had a liver tumor removed and she suspects a neighbor's pesticide use is at least partially to blame.

Grass, snow, leaves are no big deal. My dogs chew on sticks usually with no problems other than cuts in their mouths (once Rosa got an infection from one such cut, had to be treated with antibiotics). So, that could be a problem potentially.

With rocks, also use the leave it/drop it command. It's easy to break a tooth on one.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Oh yeah Hunter, good point on the treated charcoal. That's no good. You can buy untreated charcoal to be safer.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
mulch could possibly cause blockages, particularly the rubber crap. rocks too. don't THINK charcoal is dangerous as long as it doesn't have lighter fluid in it... anyone?
Dang, a few years back there was a warning that went through the equine world regarding mulch being toxic....I can't recall which or why...let me do some digging....

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The cocoa mulch?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well the only charcoal he would come in contact with is Natural Lump Charcoal with no additives since that is what I use for smoking.

I don't know if he would actually eat the rocks, it think its more of a play with a foreign object thing.

Our yard is fenced but animals still get back there. Cleaned up a nice Deer pile yesterday, yuck! As of right now he shows no interest in the droppings of other animals but being a dog I wouldn't be surprised to see that change.

I think the mulch is just that generic black mulch, We just bought the house in the summer and not sure what mulch they used.

I don't think we have any plants that are harmful to dogs in our yard, but I don't understand why he feels the need to chew on the rose bush. I would think the thorns on the bush would be enough to discourage him? Of course they are covered with ice due to the weather.

As soon as the snow melts I'm sure I will be searching the yard again for animal droppings, pine cones, and anything else he would find desirable.

·
5,627 Posts
I would also watch him and make sure he doesn't drink from any water outside that you didn't provide(puddles or down spouts). Many people don't realize the bacteria and other things in outside water until they've dealt with Giardia.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would also watch him and make sure he doesn't drink from any water outside that you didn't provide(puddles or down spouts). Many people don't realize the bacteria and other things in outside water until they've dealt with Giardia.
I didn't think of that, thanks!

Since you mentioned water that brings up one other question. In the spring I'm sure we will be taking him to the parks for walks and over all socialization (ie. getting used to being around strangers.) I would always see folks let their dogs drink from the ponds or streams. I personally would not like him drinking from a pond as its still water but I would think a moving stream should be ok, am I wrong in thinking that?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Well the only charcoal he would come in contact with is Natural Lump Charcoal with no additives since that is what I use for smoking.

I don't know if he would actually eat the rocks, it think its more of a play with a foreign object thing.

Our yard is fenced but animals still get back there. Cleaned up a nice Deer pile yesterday, yuck! As of right now he shows no interest in the droppings of other animals but being a dog I wouldn't be surprised to see that change.

I think the mulch is just that generic black mulch, We just bought the house in the summer and not sure what mulch they used.

I don't think we have any plants that are harmful to dogs in our yard, but I don't understand why he feels the need to chew on the rose bush. I would think the thorns on the bush would be enough to discourage him? Of course they are covered with ice due to the weather.

As soon as the snow melts I'm sure I will be searching the yard again for animal droppings, pine cones, and anything else he would find desirable.
How do you get away with natural lump? That stuff burns way too hot and fast for me to keep temp spikes at bay. I actually start with some regular charcoal and then move to oak & hickory & apple wood with no bark for the rest of the smoke?

If he's eating plain charcoal, it will actually take toxins out of his system lol. We use charcoal to absorb poison in people, and remove bad stuff from aquarium water

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
And heartworm! Thats my big fear.

And then the ever present danger of antifreeze puddles

·
5,627 Posts
I personally would not like him drinking from a pond as its still water but I would think a moving stream should be ok, am I wrong in thinking that?
I wouldn't chance it if I can help it. I always bring a collapsible bowl and water bottle when I go to a park that I know doesn't have water fountains. I don't share communal bowls either.

It never fails that the dogs will scoop some up when I let them play in the stream but I prefer to offer fresh water too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you get away with natural lump? That stuff burns way too hot and fast for me to keep temp spikes at bay. I actually start with some regular charcoal and then move to oak & hickory & apple wood with no bark for the rest of the smoke?

If he's eating plain charcoal, it will actually take toxins out of his system lol. We use charcoal to absorb poison in people, and remove bad stuff from aquarium water
So, don't worry too much about the lump charcoal if I can't get it from him quickly. Yesterday he found a smaller piece that must of got kicked into the bushes and it was like he went to heaven. He grabbed it and found a hiding place under the steps to the deck. It was hard for me to get in there and grab him. That little episode of his is what prompted this post. I wasn't sure if I got to him fast enough, even though I don't think he would actually eat the whole thing.

As far as the smoking goes, I use Green Egg Lump Charcoal it seems to burn more consistent than the cheaper "Cowboy" brand I found at Lowe's. Once I get my temps where I want it (usually 250F) I adjust my lower & upper vents so they're barely open and I can usually leave it for about 2 hrs before checking on it. My smoker isn't very efficient though, it was a cheapy :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts