German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a cat a year before my GS. Took about 5 months for the cat to go up to the dog. The cat does show who's boss by smacking the dog in the face once a while. Then the dog backs off and is nicer to the cat. They do get along together but we still keep an eye out just in case.

But tonight I went out for a walk with the dog, and there was this cat on the sidewalk. The closer we were getting the closer the cat got..then the cat decide to curl up in an arc way ready to fight...It didn't even want to move for the dog. So just in case I decided to walk on the street and go around the cat. I was with my husband. The dog was on his thick leash that wraps around my shoulder to my waist. Well yes, the dog spotted the cat and bark and charged for it. I fell on my knees. I wanted to kick the day lights out of him but couldn't...I was so mad. Of all things, he lives with a cat and sees another one and wants to eat it almost. Since our puppy of 9months old weighs almost 90lbs, yes I said 90lbs, when he decided to go for something he is extremely strong. I never thought he would of done that cause I would of grabbed the leash and held it so I wouldn't have been thrown. Maybe I should of let him go so the cat would of shown him you don't mess with it. But I would of been scared for our dog's eyes.

Yes I know we have to teach our dogs, heel, stay, walk etc etc which he already does and listens well..but there are times he just doesnt give a hoot about any command...yes he's still young but still, you would think by living with a cat he wouldnt bother with them. YEAH RIGHT! And sometimes when he sees a small dog he can do the same till i let him go cause i know he wont do anything to the dog but just smell it and play...its more for the other owners that our GS can scare them cause of his size. I am not worry with what the our dog will do cause hes socializes often in the park with other dogs and plays with them all...but its for the other owners...our dog is big and it scares some people...

anything suggestions for cats and dog chasing?

·
2,967 Posts
From my experience, Cats in your house are not the same as Cats outside your house. We had a dog that was extremely good with our 2 declawed cats. You could pick them up and rub them on her face and she would do nothing. She broke a leash going after a loose cat in the neighborhood. Chased it into swampy tree-covered hole. Anytime she saw a cat outside, she would cry and pull trying to go after it.

Really all you can do is enforce a sit, leave it, or a walk until the dog or cat moves or you pass it by.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
In the past I had a cat with my GSD. Cat's inside are part of the pack, cat's outside are vermin or critters not part of the pack.

As far as socializing, I have always felt that socializing was being in the same area of other dogs, not necessary to do meets and greets or play with other dogs.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Work on reading his body language and preemptively telling him 'No cat'. You might see the cat first and tell him No Cat. Or he might see it first and you need to watch how his posture changes. Ears up, little wiggle in the butt means I need to tell my girl 'Nien Squirrel' - cats she can deal with, it's squirrels she has to chase.

He's only 9 months old, this is the age he's going to start testing what he can get away with. So it's import you are extra firm with him about how he is to behave.

Originally Posted By: GSDogAnd sometimes when he sees a small dog he can do the same till i let him go cause i know he wont do anything to the dog but just smell it and play..
Please don't do this. 'Don't worry, he's friendly' drives me nucking futs. Just becuase YOUR dog won't do anything, doesn't mean the other dog wouldn't. You would be blamed if your dog is off lead and messes up a little dog who wasn't friendly.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerIn the past I had a cat with my GSD. Cat's inside are part of the pack, cat's outside are vermin or critters not part of the pack.

All of my dogs have been the same way.

To the OP: you should NOT have let him go so the cat could teach him. Your dog could have easily killed the cat even if it does have claws.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My two love our cat, they wash each other and cuddle up together BUT any other cat is considered prey. I don't doubt that either of them would kill another cat.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
We have 5 cats, all indoors, Jasper has been raised with them since 7 weeks of age. He see's them as part of the pack (because I trained him to respect, and not chase them
. When we got him, I placed a light lead on him and taught him "leave it".

There is no options for Jasper when it comes to how he interacts with them, so he knows his place. Under no circumstances, is Jasper allowed to chase cats (it's hard enough to keep prey drive intact.

LOL, now what I am leading up to is that when I am outside, (backyard) he wants to rip the next door neighboor cat to shreads (he is contained within the fence). This cat is not part of his pack.

I stop the behavior prior to (or if I don't catch it in time, I stop it ASAP (He usually carries a soccer ball in his mouth in the back yard, and he will shake it violently while looking at the cat, I won't let him do that either). He can only have this type of behavior on his bite sleeve (just the way I work things).

When we are on walks, if he sees a cat (his prey drive will kick in, however I stop before it escalates)-Jasper could always use some more focus, however I am satisfied as to how he is.

When I walk Jasper at the park, or my neighborhood, I know we will run into different circumstances (rabbits, dogs, cats, , etc).

I walk him right at my side, I am the leader, I have control. If we are on a path or hike, then I will let him have the lead (I have a police lead, connected to another one).

I believe in focus, and walking dog next to you when out in public.

You won't be able to take out prey drive, but you can put a stop to it, prior to entering it.

Here is a list, you can find what fits your case, and learn abit about it

http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?c=0&q=prey+drive&x=73&y=8

Always remain calm in all situations, no matter how bad it gets, you will only heighten the situation, your dog looks to you for leadership, so don't lose it

I also assume you would never kick your dog

Since your dog is young, this may help with some important changes you will notice within your pup.

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

Jasper with one of my cats, they can work it out

Good luck

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Jack, God bless you for your loving these beautiful creatures so much!

Jasper is just beyond gorgeous!! He is increadible!! What breeder did you get him from?

Your kitty is so very beautiful!! One of our cats named Pumpkin looks so very similar -- they both just make your heart melt!

We have 2 and will soon have 3 indoor kitties and their well being and happiness (to say nothing about safety) is everything for us!

We are planning to get a puppy in about a year and have started our education to get fully ready.. (we are getting our 3 kitty home in October -- so want to give him time to settle down first..)

Do you have other pictures of them together? Can you please publish?

God bless!

Tanya

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Jack,

I just looked at Jasper and the kitties pages -- I am so in love with them! Minnie's pictures and "capturing your heart" are priceless!

Tanya

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Thanks Tayna

Jasper was imported from Germany.

My former sheriff's office got him for me. I loved the temperament so much from our K-9's, that I asked the sheriff's administrative secretary if she could get one for me. She got the ok from the Sheriff, and the rest was history. I had left the dept on a disability when I got Jasper.

LOL, I was next in line to be a K-9 officer, however I am glad things worked out the way they did, I could never send Jasper into harms way.

Thanks again.

I had to pay for him, plus delivery fee. He is West German lines.

I will look at my photobucket accounts tonight, and pm you with some pics
I may have a few.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess like you've all mentioned is not much you can do but make him sit or take his mind off. Just that time he didnt see the cat and I never thought going around the car to avoid the cat he would of charged cause he never did it. So a lesson learned for me not to trust puppy when he sees a cat. I usually say" Leave him alone" cause that's what we would say in the beginning for our cat. He knows what it means so I will continue using them words for outsiders. Here's photos of the cat hater lol...

Major 9months old, 90lbs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts