German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is home, here are a few photos of his first day at home. He has exceeded our expectations on many things, but still has many issues to resolve which we will be working with a trainer in a few weeks on. Just need to let him decompress here at home and find his place in our lives. I dont think he has ever been in the house, he thinks any surface is for walking including: coffee table, end tables, desks, counters, tables. Nothing is off limits. We are working on the "off" command as I cant have that happening. He is picking it up already!!

OMG! Look at all these toys! I have to get in here!!!

This guy aint half bad, he rubs my belly!!

My first day at work, this lady says we have to work today, I think we should go outside and play

Hey lady, did you hear me? Can we go out and play please???

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Omg awesome!!! please keep us updated. I love love hearing about him!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
awwwww, definitely keep us updated! I'm sure he is happy happy to have found a permanent loving home

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
How is he with the dogs? He looks so happy!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is he with the dogs? He looks so happy!!
Well thats where we need work. He has made improvement already by no longer barking at them when they are walking around and he is in his crate. I have taken him on a walk with my F Samoyed and he does great on the walk, he is aggressive to her and my other in the house and yard. He will be fine one second and then just turns around and goes after her. I have protected them by putting a soft muzzle on him when doing these interactions. I think I am going to just continue to walk him with my Samoyed where he is fine with her and work with trainer to see if he will come around. Now outside if he even hears another dog bark he goes insane. But with my personal dogs he is getting better from a distance. He has not actually been able to go after them as we have had him tethered at all times but I didnt want him to get loose from us and get to them. Or them get to close and have an issue. But then again he has only been in the same room tethered and not in his crate 2 times thus far when they are in the room. His out of crate time is when they are out in the yard mostly or visa versa. He barked insanely at them for at least an hour when he first came in. Even after we did introductions through a fence outside for 2+ hours. The sight of them moving about was too much. Now he quietly watches and occasionally barks when we give them attention and not him. I am surprised at the progress with just that which gives me hope it can be worked out. They are laid back and aloof so I hope he will realize they are no threat and be ok eventually. 6 days or 6 months doesnt matter we are in it for the long haul and I have faith it will work out eventually

It almost seems like he was probably tied outside and taunted by other dogs he could not get to which frustrated him and turned him aggressive.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I love the toybox photo! :D

It does take a bit for them to realize they're home and safe, hopefully it'll click it soon and he'll realize he doesn't need to have a issue with them :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the toybox photo! :D

It does take a bit for them to realize they're home and safe, hopefully it'll click it soon and he'll realize he doesn't need to have a issue with them :)
He found that box and pulled half of them out and jumped in! Its a big rubber maid tote. I was laughing so hard I could barley take the picture. he thought it was the greatest thing ever and ripped the squeakers out of every single one of them!

He had fun thats all the matters!

I have faith and fingers crossed, he is so smart and I don't think he is much over a year old, he still acts puppyish being a little mouthy and clumsy. His teeth are bright white without a single stain. And boy does he love my husband!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
And boy does he love my husband!!
I guess your husband acts like a goofy kid just like mine. Dog loves him too, but when he feels scared or in pain from teething he comes to momma

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess your husband acts like a goofy kid just like mine. Dog loves him too, but when he feels scared or in pain from teething he comes to momma
I think after spending the whole day here with me locked in my office (we took a lunch and a couple breaks to get outside and potty / play for a few) he is sick of me, about knocked my husband over when he came into the office! Funny thing is I never thought my husband would step up and take the leadership role for him, I thought it would be me, but low and behold hubby stepping up and taking on the role of his leader. (makes me so proud!!)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Well thats where we need work. He has made improvement already by no longer barking at them when they are walking around and he is in his crate. I have taken him on a walk with my F Samoyed and he does great on the walk, he is aggressive to her and my other in the house and yard. He will be fine one second and then just turns around and goes after her. I have protected them by putting a soft muzzle on him when doing these interactions. I think I am going to just continue to walk him with my Samoyed where he is fine with her and work with trainer to see if he will come around. Now outside if he even hears another dog bark he goes insane. But with my personal dogs he is getting better from a distance. He has not actually been able to go after them as we have had him tethered at all times but I didnt want him to get loose from us and get to them. Or them get to close and have an issue. But then again he has only been in the same room tethered and not in his crate 2 times thus far when they are in the room. His out of crate time is when they are out in the yard mostly or visa versa. He barked insanely at them for at least an hour when he first came in. Even after we did introductions through a fence outside for 2+ hours. The sight of them moving about was too much. Now he quietly watches and occasionally barks when we give them attention and not him. I am surprised at the progress with just that which gives me hope it can be worked out. They are laid back and aloof so I hope he will realize they are no threat and be ok eventually. 6 days or 6 months doesnt matter we are in it for the long haul and I have faith it will work out eventually

It almost seems like he was probably tied outside and taunted by other dogs he could not get to which frustrated him and turned him aggressive.

Be lucky he stays in his cage...my new one knows how to get it opened. I have never owned a dog that could or tried to get out of the crate in my life. My son came home today and guess who greeted him at the door? He was good, no poop, pee, or chewing from what I can tell. The first thing I did was have my son count cats, I am terrified that he will hurt one of them. He will be locked in the cage like its Fort Knox tomorrow. It gets better every day and one day we will be able to trust them!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
llombardo I do believe left to his own devices he will get out of the crate, when he is mad about being in there, he goes right to where the crate is put together and starts digging and pawing. I told my husband if we leave and put him in there we will need to zip tie the crate together to keep him in and put a snap on the door.

Last night he just all of the sudden starting barking at my cats which is new. He was barking at the dogs and ignoring the cats now he is ignoring the dogs and barking at the cats. Also on this mornings walk we decided it would be fun to chase squirrels. No dogs around to bark at him or set him off so it was squirrels today. Everyday something new.... Need to get to trainer asap to find something that will stop this pulling us around like we dont exist. I was going to go buy something but I am sure whatever I buy the trainer will suggest something different. So our walks will continue to be skiing lessons for husband and I for the remainder of the week. We are trying to limit his walks as much as possible but he has so much energy and is not really interested in playing in the yard with toys :confused:

He also believes he is a lap dog and with no warning... Just all 4 paws in your lap before you get the words off out... :eek:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh while I have everyones attention question: When he is in his crate after all his needs are met: Food, water, potty, exercise he does not settle well at all. Will pace whine and bark excessively ( we are in room ) I have tried to cover the crate up to give him a little solitary time but he still does it. I give him his kong with something yummy in it, he will ignore it. Someone suggested I get a squirt bottle to squirt him and tell him no when he is barking just to break his train of thought. Any opinions? Or other suggestions? I dont want to make his crate a bad place, and honestly yesterday he probably only spent maybe 1-2 hours in it (of course he slept in the one in our room at bed time but he is doing relatively ok in that one, only got up once last night and then once husband got up to go to work he was up and there was no going back to sleep and he whined and barked but it was 5:45 by that time which was ok. What is your opinion on the water bottle to squirt him to break it? Any other options? Ignoring him only seems to make it worse, and ask him to be quiet I might as well talk to the wall I would get a better response.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Oh while I have everyones attention question: When he is in his crate after all his needs are met: Food, water, potty, exercise he does not settle well at all. Will pace whine and bark excessively ( we are in room ) I have tried to cover the crate up to give him a little solitary time but he still does it. I give him his kong with something yummy in it, he will ignore it. Someone suggested I get a squirt bottle to squirt him and tell him no when he is barking just to break his train of thought. Any opinions? Or other suggestions? I dont want to make his crate a bad place, and honestly yesterday he probably only spent maybe 1-2 hours in it (of course he slept in the one in our room at bed time but he is doing relatively ok in that one, only got up once last night and then once husband got up to go to work he was up and there was no going back to sleep and he whined and barked but it was 5:45 by that time which was ok. What is your opinion on the water bottle to squirt him to break it? Any other options? Ignoring him only seems to make it worse, and ask him to be quiet I might as well talk to the wall I would get a better response.
First of all, congrats!!!

As for the crate question, you can take my response with a grain of salt as I'm not a trainer, but I'll give you the same advice my breeder gave me and it worked for us.

I was told to cover the crate and, unless the dog sounds like it's in imminent danger, to ignore him completely. Trust me, it's easier said than done, but if you go to the crate when he starts barking/whining will only tell him that if he makes noise, you will give him attention and even negative attention is still attention. Unless there's separation anxiety, he should calm down after a while.

You can also try short bursts in the kennel; 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there with a few high value treats and see if that works and slowly work up to longer periods of time kenneled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts