German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today like most days we locked our 9.5month old male GSD in his 5'X15' outdoor chain link kennel (which has a 5' x4' covered dog house inside for shelter). When my boyfriend came home from work the dog was not in the kennel but had chewed/ripped a hole in the chain link and escaped and was sitting in the back yard at the back door!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness the kennel is in the back yard which is also enclosed!

First of all has anyone had this happen?! And second of all what do I use to fix this so he wont escape again?!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Seriously, he wanted out of the kennel and into the house. You live in Canada? 9.5 months old- still a puppy. Does he even have his full coat yet? He may be cold out there. Any way you could crate him indoors?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He used to stay inside until he was about 7 months and since then (unless it really cold) he stays outside in his Kennel.

HAHA And yes I love in Canada but I live in Vancouver were it is 7 degrees Celsius (43 degrees Fahrenheit) today so it is not really that cold. We have only had snow (about 1/2" at that) once this winter which lasted about 12 hours. His dog house in his kennel is fully insulated and lined with carpet so he also has somewhere to go for shelter.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Well I would say he is used to living in the house and probably does not understand why he has to be outside now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Like most days? Did you word your post wrong by any chance? I want to be sure I am reading what you intended.

Why is your dog kenneled outdoors? Do you leave him there while you go to work/how long is he left out there?

Even if it were summer - your GSD belongs inside of your house not left outside. He is almost 10 months old and over the teething stage. Dogs like to be inside and near his family. You can get him an extra large crate to use indoors if he acts up and you need to go out for something, but other than that - you need to reconsider why you got him. (Sorry. I know I am more matter-of-fact than the other posters, but someone has to say something here.).

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
With straw in a properly sized dog house -- not too big or they cannot maintain their body heat, a dog should be ok outside.

I use nine gage wire. Many of the kennels use 13 gage wire and that is simply too flimsy.

Also, now that he has managed to escape, he may try again and again. Covering the kennel over might make sense too with some type of fencing. I use 11 gage on top.

Anyhow, glad you had a second line of D-Fence. But do not count on it. Your dog is intelligent and bored. If he was not, he would not have torn through the kennel. He may be lonely as well. Having just one dog, means they are all alone back there and that will lead to destructive behavior.

Crate the dog inside the house until you can fix the kennel.

If you have a laundry room or a garage with a wall into the back yard, it may be nice to put an dog door through that to a kennel outside. Inside an x-pen -- that keeps the dog if muddy off the furniture and safe from house hold dangers.

Anyhow. Crate and protect the dog until you can come up with a stronger kennel system.

Good luck.

·
5,627 Posts
I agree with everyone who said he wants in the house. He doesn't know you aren't in there and may be wondering why his pack forgot him outside since he's spent most of his life inside.

Why did you recently decide to put him outside in a kennel? If you want to continue keeping him outside, build a stronger kennel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I would say he is used to living in the house and probably does not understand why he has to be outside now.
That's very possible as he is always inside with us at night but he has been staying outside all day (except daycare day once a week) for almost 3 months now. Seems strange that just now he would be confused as to why he was outside no?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some shepherds can be too smart for their own good. I have a black shepherd that I just can't keep in a pen. I have tried everything, she chewed through top gage chain link jumped an 8 foot fence I put hot wire at the top even this did not stop her. Cheyenne now stays in the house. She loves her crate she even has a rope on the door she pulls it closed.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Also your pup may not even realize that your not home and does not understand why he can not be in with you.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's very possible as he is always inside with us at night but he has been staying outside all day (except daycare day once a week) for almost 3 months now. Seems strange that just now he would be confused as to why he was outside no?
He probably just now figured out how to break out! He will be safer and more comfortable inside :)

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
He broke out because he was bored and found something to do with his teeth that alleviated the boredom.

I do not think he hates to be outside, and he is looking to be inside. He heard you come home and into the house, and the door is where you will come next, so there is where he will go to greet you.

He will be just as bored inside, with nobody there, and can get into just as much trouble.

I think you need to protect him from himself. His teeth will get him into trouble. Spending 20 - 30 minutes morning and evening playing fetch or hide and seek will help to tire him out.

And he can break his teeth on crates or kennels as well. So it is the boredom you really need to work on. He is an intelligent dog, you need to stimulate him mentally.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the advice! Selzer, your post is incredibly insightful, I think you probably pegged the nail on the head, I run with him at night but i guess i need to start exercising him in the morning as well.The "kennel" we got him is a really more like a dog run its 5'X15' so its not like his contained in a tiny area outside. He didn't start staying outside right away as we wanted to wait until he was a little bigger and older before keeping him outside all day. We both work full time so during the day, except the days he goes to doggie day care, he stays home alone. He loves being outside and even when were are home we leave the door open for him and he often chooses to play outside in the yard.The kennel is a petsafe one and I am just now learning that apparently they are not the most durable for large breeds.

Like most days? Did you word your post wrong by any chance? I want to be sure I am reading what you intended.

Why is your dog kenneled outdoors? Do you leave him there while you go to work/how long is he left out there?

Even if it were summer - your GSD belongs inside of your house not left outside. He is almost 10 months old and over the teething stage. Dogs like to be inside and near his family. You can get him an extra large crate to use indoors if he acts up and you need to go out for something, but other than that - you need to reconsider why you got him. (Sorry. I know I am more matter-of-fact than the other posters, but someone has to say something here.).
And in response to the above post, I am all for being matter-of-fact and i completely agree with dogs wanting to be with their family. Besides work (which he actually occasionally does come into the office for the day) he comes absolutely everywhere with us and is basically treated as our child, but while we are at work he has to be left alone and there is no reason he can not be left outside. There are many people who leave their dogs outside and i do not believe that in anyway makes me need to reconsider why we got him.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sorry I have to disagree. I don't understand why people get dogs and put them outside. I can think of several incidents I have read on these forums recently where a dog being left outside ended up in tragedy.
If you love your dogs you share your home with them. This is my opinion:)

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
And in response to the above post, I am all for being matter-of-fact and i completely agree with dogs wanting to be with their family. Besides work (which he actually occasionally does come into the office for the day) he comes absolutely everywhere with us and is basically treated as our child, but while we are at work he has to be left alone and there is no reason he can not be left outside. There are many people who leave their dogs outside and i do not believe that in anyway makes me need to reconsider why we got him.
I agree totally with this.

There is NOTHING in your house that your dog NEEDS when you are not there. I think a five x fifteen foot kennel is MUCH more comfortable that a 2x4 foot crate. And NO, a ten month old puppy is NOT through the chewing stage. The chewing stage can last a LONG time. And it is downright DANGEROUS to leave a puppy loose in a house. Too many things that you would never even consider to be an issue, that can actually KILL him.

For example, a venisian blind. Who would think that a dog would pull it down and EAT part of it. I was at a vet and some people brought in a puppy that did just that. It ripped up the intestines and the dog did not make it.

AKC makes five foot wide by six foot high kennel panels that seem to be pretty strong. I have two of of them, the door panel and a regular panel cutting my puppy pen into two runs. I think Tractor Supply Co sells them. You can buy six panels, a gate panel and five regular panels for about $300 on sale. And additional panels are about 75$, so you can do the whole 5x15' area. And later you can make it bigger if you want.

Hope the base is strong because if he cannot bite through the chain link he might start digging.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My puppy did very well crated inside. Now as an adult he does not need to be crated at all. He is a perfect gentleman inside. He never chewed on his crate, although he wanted to chew on everything else when he was younger!

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
They are sharing the home with the dog. But when they are gone, they are allowing the dog to potty and move about freely in a kennel rather couped up in a crate.

I know there are people who think crates are the bomb. I use them for short periods of time, when the dog is sleeping or whatever.

The fact is, most of us work away from home full time, and with traveling and occasional overtime, that may mean the dog is crated up to 12 hours a day. If he is crated for the night, as well, that is just too long.

A kennel/dog run is a solution to this. And I find dogs do VERY well kenneled for full days. But I would not want to crate a dog for the same time frame.

When people get home is when the dog should be with the people. When the people are not there, the inside of the house is no better than a safe kennel.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts