German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranger keeps eating rabbit poop in our yard....huge rabbit poops. We must have mutant rabbits at night....because I have never seen a rabbit in our yard at all.

I have been telling him leave it. It is not working yet. I'll tell him leave it, then give him a toy to play with or something. But he keeps finding it. I'll think he's laying down being good...and get a little closer and he's chowing down on rabbit poop.

Can he get sick from rabbit poop? How can I stop it?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Are you sure it's not deer? They poop in pellets like rabbits.

I doubt he'll get sick from it, it's already been processed and is pretty much just fiber at that point. My two treat cow patties as a delicacy when we're out walking, I just remember not to accept kisses and they've never had any issues.

You can try cleaning it up, but it would be difficult, or try sealing off your yard. You could try leashing him, and staying out with him then telling him 'leave it' and redirecting - but he may go right back to it once you're not around. It may even be something he'll grow out of in short order.

Sorry, I'm not much help. Personally, I just would worry too much about it unless you can keep the rabbits or deer or whatever out of your yard altogether.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:It may even be something he'll grow out of in short order.
Ah I have never known a pup to grow out of eating cow horse deer or rabbit poop. Kind of hard as to correct him by hand will just make him get to it quicker and gobble it down faster.

The 100% sure fire way to break a dog from eating stuff like this is by remote training collar. However I do not put a remote training collar on my pup until at least 6 months old.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Wolfie loves rabbit poop
I actually went and bought this organic granular stuff from the garden stores which have all natural ingredients to deter rabbits and deer (I forget what it was called). The ingredients included meat meal and pepper among other things. They said that dogs don't like hot stuff so they'll avoid it and at the same time, none of the ingredients are harmful to them. Just my luck, I have a dog that likes spicy food (just like his mommy and daddy). (Side note: Wolfie can wolf down wasabi, no problem.) So then he shifted from rabbit poop to organic rabbit repellent. So I liberally sprinkled cayenne pepper over the repellent. That deterred him until the rains washed away the cayenne pepper. It's a losing battle as far as I am concerned...

·
Registered
153 Posts
My GSD eats the rabbit poop at the bottom of our elevated cages in the chicken coop. I figure it's better than eating the rabbits, so it's all a compromise!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
My dog too, but since Dakota chaced the rabbit and almost caught him in the winter he has not been back.

I think Rabbit poop is just as appealing as cat poop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts