German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken to herding twice a week now that I am home and my club is four hours away near school -- herding is something that is alot easier for me to do up here in this area anyway - there are alot more trainers in a closer vicinity.

Ruby is doing beautifully (if stubborn). Her lay-downs have improved a great deal, and she no longer requires a thwack for her to stop listening to the sheep and start listening to me (thank goodness). We've been using a stick with a bottle with coins in it vet wrapped to the end - and she respects it just fine -- I am going to see if susan can take pictures this week

Now for Leo - my obstinate dog - he's doing pretty well...but he doesnt respect *anything* other than body language when it comes to pushing him away from the sheep. We used the stick with the bottle -- he ate it -- we used a trash bag for a day, and he got smart to it after that -- tried the bamboo stick -- it broke on his skull....and then he ate it. Susan thinks he's going to do awsome when he starts taking stick hits on the sleeve...because he just doesnt care...we've started using body language and the mean voice and a hat to get him to stop coming in so close to the sheep...and I hope thats the key....but just in case...

The question I have regarding this is do any of you have any suggestions regarding what i can use to make him widen his circle and stop crowding the sheep? Like I said....we've done bottle, bag and bamboo....right now we're working with ball cap and body - any other suggestions from those of you who do this more often then me?

Thanks so much!

~Cate

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
We often use a plastic leaf rake (the idea came from Austrailia) to move dogs away from the stock. You can wack them with it and it will not injure them. The best use is to keep it low -- then move it up into his face if he won't move off. Bob Vest uses it all of the time, as does Nancy Obermark.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use the herding stick with a little flag at the end, it works for me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts