German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kai recently has not been eating his food and has no interest in it yet he will eat all the treats you give him. Hes been to the vets and nothings wrong. He gets fed kibble and ive tried adding new flavours in, adding peanut butter ect but nothing, he'll take a lick and thats it. He will only eat if he hasnt eaten for hours meaning he cant get no treats, but still he will only take a few bites and thats it. I dont want him to get in the habbit of me adding food into his food ect

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had the same problem with my pup from ages 2 months to about 5 months. I eventually stopped giving her treats and stopped putting yummy stuff in kibble and I stopped table feeding, all of the sudden the dog wanted to eat her kibble. What are you feeding? Because some kibble my dog will not eat!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
What food is it - feed good quality food for good overall health and longevity. Nutrition matters.

Do not coddle a fussy eater - it will make him worse. Soak the kibble in a little bit of water for 5mins, put the food in the crate, give him 15mins, take it away after that. Don't leave the food around, stop adding extras, don't supplement feeding with treats throughout the day, let him fast for as long as he holds out. No healthy dog is going to starve itself - he will eat and soon realize that he does not have another choice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can always try switching foods, my puppy does the same exact thing so I switched her to taste of the wild and she eats it without me adding anything. Don't give treats throughout the day as much. I know how you feel, my puppy goes outside and eats rocks and sticks and dirt and ill have to run out every ten minutes and stop then but she would barely eat her expensive food. When I switched her from eukanuba I tried costcos grain free salmon and sweet potato and she would pick out every kibble of her old food and leave the new food and wouldn't touch it. So now we feed her food with roasted bison and venison because the spoiled girl doesn't like fish. It could be a taste preference.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
i posted a similar thread when i first got my pup and someone explained to me that my dog is not food driven and wants to work, which then gives her an appetite. it made sense and has worked like a charm. 20 mins of ball/rope tug in the morning, give her food about 45mins later and she eats the entire bowl.

ive held off on playing with her and set her food down, which is the picture ive attached so that i could send it to people and show them the deal haha. my cat is definitely food driven.

switching food and taking it away is worth a shot, just thought i would give you something else to try. good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree completely with Joshua I forgot to add that when she doesn't eat for a while I take her to play with my neighbors dog or play fetch and have her run back and forth for about twenty minutes straight and she comes in and eats all her food

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts