German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And its driving me nuts. Midnite will only sleep if I put him in the crate, but that is not before he throws a tantrum and he is loud. Since he opened my door and broke out, I put him in the crate with his food while I let the others out, not even 2 minutes of quiet and he barking and banging on the crate. I've got him to the point that he will go right in when its eating time or he is getting a treat, but it ends there. His bark is now sounding much more puppy like in the crate, before it was a very deep menacing bark. He can't be trusted out of the crate..last time he escaped he ate video games and had his toys everywhere(this wasn't to bad). He can walk over a gate that is past my knees, I've only seen him do this once and he was trying to get to me. How else can I get him quiet in this crate?, it really is the safest place for him. I've tried filling kongs with treats, pumpkin, etc. I have tried a nice big deer antler too. Nothing keeps this dog busy for more then 3 minutes. He gets plenty of play time, probably needs more exercise, but even that isn't to bad. He just wants to be out with the other dogs and he is more determined then any puppy I've ever had...:help::help::help::help::help::help:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think you answered your own question. He needs more exercise. Both my dogs are very well behaved in crates as long as they have has plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. With my male that means an off leash run and chuckit for at least an hour and a 3-6 miles bike ride. Good luck! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
How much exercise is he getting?
How long is he walked?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just got back from an hour long class and he huffed and puffed a little bit, but he is resting now. They can't believe how busy this dog is. He gets into everything. Moves the barricades, opened the door, attempted to jump over a 5 foot wall and would have if he wasn't stopped... he gets a good(fast paced) 20 minute walk 2-3 times a day and we either do the flirt pole or work on the long line playing catch. We also play find it in the house, plus all the play time with the other dogs. I haven't attempted to take him hiking, it would be no fun if we ran into another dog. We are enrolling in two classes, so he will be going to school 2x a week for now..he has lots of catching up to do. He will get more off leash time when we move into the house in a month or so. My female GSD hated the crate to. She got even more exercise because she was so good wherever we went. Once she got out of the crate at 7 months she has never attempted to go back in there to lay down or anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts