German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning , my gf gaved food to enzo like every morning..

when Enzo was eating , she pet him in the neck to say goodbye cause she was leaving for work ( like she do every morning ) but this morning enzo growl to her ...

so tonight I decide gaved food to enzo and decided to pet him i the neck to see if he would growl at me also ... he didnt ... so i put myself in crawling position next to his face to give him a kiss on the nose , he growled real fast and bite my nose ... good lord my gf was here to temper me down or i think i would have hurt him ...

i dont understand how a dog can bite his master/family . my trust of him just felt down like crazy.

dunno what to do.

edit : enzo is 1 1/2 years old

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Don't pet him when he is eating.

And, yes, read the thread Debbie recommended.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this for real?
Did you really lay down to kiss the dogs nose while he was eating his food?

Seriously?
Must.leave.this.topic.now!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
well , i am the one giving him food , giving him toys , giving him love and more , i dont see why i could not give him a kiss or why he should see me as a food stealer or w/e ... what if i was a young child !?

Seriously?
Dont.come.back.to.this.topic.anymore.those.comment.are.not.welcome!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Lesson learned here should be not to mess with a dog while they're eating. They don't want kisses or hugs while they're eating. How would you feel if someone invaded your meal space. Getting down and moving in to kiss him was viewed as a threatening gesture. He issued a warning growl to your girlfriend and he issued warning to you. Up the anti with heavy Nothing In Life Is Free and instead of messing with him when he's eating. Try adding something tasty to his food when you go near him while eating. I can probably do just about anything I want with Shasta and her food but I've also never gotten down on her level like that and I don't generally even touch her when she's eating. She'll get the occasional pat and told she's a good girl and then I walk away so she can eat in peace.

Also, unless the kids know to leave the dog alone while eating, he shouldn't be in a position they'd have access to him. He viewed you and your GF threatening his meal. Yes, you should be able to take things away without a problem but if you give him the food, leave him alone. That's all there is.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Because dogs do not understand kisses. It's not in their nature, this is human behavior.

He doesn't know what a kiss is. He is a young, powerful GSD whose owner got down into his food, and he thought you were trying to challenge him for it.

A leader will never try and take away food once it is given.
You exhibited improper behavior, and he was forced to correct you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lesson learned here should be not to mess with a dog while they're eating. They don't want kisses or hugs while they're eating. How would you feel if someone invaded your meal space. Getting down and moving in to kiss him was viewed as a threatening gesture. He issued a warning growl to your girlfriend and he issued warning to you. Up the anti with heavy Nothing In Life Is Free and instead of messing with him when he's eating. Try adding something tasty to his food when you go near him while eating. I can probably do just about anything I want with Shasta and her food but I've also never gotten down on her level like that and I don't generally even touch her when she's eating. She'll get the occasional pat and told she's a good girl and then I walk away so she can eat in peace.

Also, unless the kids know to leave the dog alone while eating, he shouldn't be in a position they'd have access to him. He viewed you and your GF threatening his meal. Yes, you should be able to take things away without a problem but if you give him the food, leave him alone. That's all there is.
+1 good info

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because dogs do not understand kisses. It's not in their nature, this is human behavior.

He doesn't know what a kiss is. He is a young, powerful GSD whose owner got down into his food, and he thought you were trying to challenge him for it.

A leader will never try and take away food once it is given.
You exhibited improper behavior, and he was forced to correct you.
+1 good info thx guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
well , i am the one giving him food , giving him toys , giving him love and more , i dont see why i could not give him a kiss or why he should see me as a food stealer or w/e ... what if i was a young child !?

Seriously?
Dont.come.back.to.this.topic.anymore.those.comment.are.not.welcome!

X2 !!! All of my dogs over the years didn't care if you took their food (bones to) or toys. I played with all of our old dogs an really tortured them:p. (In a fun way) I can take anything from him an he will just sit an look at me. Pull his ears, nose. paws, tail and even his tongue.. Ya I have put my hand in his mouth to. He considers it "playing". IF he ever growled at me he would get a smack in the head !! No need for him to be mean. He is out an about with a lot of people old and young.. He has to behave like he was trained to !!:cool:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I can also do whatever I want to any of my dogs when they are eating. Growling or biting is not acceptable. I've always had little kids in and out of the house and I'm sorry but a toddler just isn't going to know that it can't mess with dogs during certain times. Yes all should be supervised, but sometimes things happen and they happen quick. I don't find it acceptable for any dog to growl over food or toys...if I want to take away the food that I just gave them, then gosh darn it I will and there better not be any grumbling going on. Just my opinion and how all my dogs are taught and raised, no matter what. I don't really bother them when they are eating, but if I did, I would expect them to respect me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds Nuts To Me

Lucky Dog, why would you abuse your poor dog that way! How would you like it if someone pulled your ears and tongue and took your food away. These are dogs, not people. It's a wonder you've never been bitten. It's a testament to the good sense of the dog, not yours.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the thing is Enzo never but never growl to me about toys , i can remove toys/bone from him and he just sit here look at me ( same as lucky dog ) ... i can pull the tail / tongue also ! lol.

just this new behavior with the food since 2 days ... wierd

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
He is 1 1/2 years old.
He is coming out of puppyhood. Is he neutered?

I guess different people have different ideas about what we have the right to do to dogs.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Just because you can do something with your dog, doesn't mean you should do it.

Common sense says that you should NEVER lay down and kiss your dog on the nose while the dog is eating it's food.

Common sense says to teach your children proper manners around dogs.
If you (IN GENERAL) let your child lay down and kiss a dog on the nose (since someone brought the child example into this) while you (IN GENERAL) are feeding the dog, the dog and the child should be taken away from that person because that person is not fit to own a dog or raise children.

Common dog sense really went out the window in this topic... unbelievable.

I am sorry this sounds harsh. But the level of ignorance is astounding and there is just no nice way to say. At least not from my point of view.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
This just hurts my brain. I think if my husband tried to get in my face and kiss me while I was eating, I'd stab him with my fork. :paranoid:

Anyways, most of us who CAN do whatever the heck we want to our dogs while they're eating 1. do NOT do it out of sheer common sense, and 2. took a long time to get that way. Yes, it's a granted that you should be able to take food, etc. HOWEVER, you are dealing with a dog who by the sounds of it does not have a lot of structure, who is dealing with hormonal shifts and adolescenthood, etc. A whole LOT of variables at play here.

Ramp up the NILIF. Seriously ramp up obedience work. Teach your kids to do as you say and NOT as you do...give the dog space. For the love of God, leave the dog alone while he's eating. "Testing" this in any way is only asking for trouble and going to further impair the trust between you. In order for your dog to trust you, he has to see you as his leader- and the respect required to get that is a two-way street.

Don't even get me started on "I'm glad my girlfriend is around because I wanted to hurt my dog because I did something stupid." Don't punish your dog for being a dog, who clearly has no idea what your expectations and rules are. That's not his fault, it's yours.

·
Registered
31,889 Posts
It's something in the water I think.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts