German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been really careful, but he snapped a really small white mushroom cap up this morning. Anything to worry about or look for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,214 Posts
Yes: death.

If he just ate it, I would go to the vet NOW to see if they want to induce vomiting instead of waiting to see if there's a problem--once there's a problem, it's possibly too late.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Was it a wild mushroom from the yard that you can't identify or a mushroom grown for humans...I do the cooking at our home-i love mushrooms so over the years my dogs have had cooked mushrooms in recipes and picked up raw pieces that get dropped on the floor while slicing...eaten by the dogs no problems...their anatomy is pretty close to humans when it comes to mushrooms....if they're safe for us to eat dogs can eat them also but if they're toxic for people they can also kill dogs.....so if the mushroom came from your yard (wild)...you can't know what it is...then yes see your vet quickly !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a mushroom from the yard, growing up in the lawn. It looked like a traditional human food mushroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
I would call your vet, describe to them exactly what it looked like. If it was me, I would also go into the vet just to be safe. Much better to be on the cautious side! Hope everything turns out ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Is there another mushroom growing in the lawn that you could post a picture of? I am familiar with the 2 species of really dangerous mushrooms that are common in this part of the world.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
It was a mushroom from the yard, growing up in the lawn. It looked like a traditional human food mushroom.
These are generally non poisonous. Do you have any more in your yard? I’d pick a few and bring them with you to the vet. You could just grab a few, run up to the vets and show them the mushroom and ask if you should bring the dog in from the vehicle. You don’t need an appt for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Jchrest, I once noticed a pure white mushroom growing in my suburban lawn. Having taken a course on identifying mushrooms, I was suspicious of it, though it looked not unlike the ones you buy in the store.

I looked up the features for N. America's deadliest mushroom, Amanita virosa, and it was a match. The deciding factor was the spore print, which was also pure white.

There are several species of Amanita that are deadly. ALL of them very closely resemble store-bought mushrooms. However, the main problem is most vets don't know how to identify them, and by the time they find an expert who can, it may be too late.

You say the mushroom was really small. That's good, if it was poisonous, it MIGHT have been too small to be lethal. I would still take him to the vet, though, and see if you can find another of those mushrooms to take with you so it can be identified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_bisporigera

Edit: if you do it within an hour, you can also try giving him hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. It will take about 10-15 mls. to do the trick. Have done this in the past, and it works, and is not harmful to the dog.

The problem with Amanita poisoning is by the time symptoms show up, it's already TOO LATE!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
I’m not saying it is or isn’t poisonous, and clearly said to take the dog and the mushroom to the vet.

We have mushrooms that grow in our yard, but they aren’t poisonous. I know mushrooms aren’t something to be messed with. I sent mine off and had it tested so I would know if I needed to remove them, remove the dog(s) access to that area, or induce vomiting if one was consumed. Came back perfectly editable to both animals and humans, but I still won’t eat one! And I tell the dogs to leave it if they go sniffing around.

But generally, if you have your dogs and a mushroom both at the vets, instead of calling and waiting to see what they say, you have a better chance of that dog being seen ASAP. Just much less words because I’m a teeny bit loopy from pain meds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m not saying it is or isn’t poisonous, and clearly said to take the dog and the mushroom to the vet.

We have mushrooms that grow in our yard, but they aren’t poisonous. I know mushrooms aren’t something to be messed with. I sent mine off and had it tested so I would know if I needed to remove them, remove the dog(s) access to that area, or induce vomiting if one was consumed. Came back perfectly editable to both animals and humans, but I still won’t eat one! And I tell the dogs to leave it if they go sniffing around.

But generally, if you have your dogs and a mushroom both at the vets, instead of calling and waiting to see what they say, you have a better chance of that dog being seen ASAP. Just much less words because I’m a teeny bit loopy from pain meds.
****, I wish I thought of that. There were two right near each other. The second I picked and tossed immediately. I wish I kept it or took a picture. This was about 7 hours ago. I took him to work with me and have been monitoring for signs I googled. So far so good.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
@Frisco19, if you see any new ones sprout up, you can generally send (or carry in) a specimen to your county department. The testing was free. Not sure if every county/city provides this service, but a quick phone call is all it should take to find out. Then you won’t need to worry about your guy grabbing one before you can stop him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I have a vet appointment Monday. His second set of shots. I will gather up every mushroom I can find and bring them with me.

Frisco is fine. Tormenting the heck out of me at his usual 7-10 PM witching hours. Today showed no signs of being lethargic, diarrhea, panting, goopy eyes or drooling.

I’m certainly not minimizing the danger. I should have brought him in. I certainly will if there is a next time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
When Shasta was a pup, she would snag one once in a while. Horrible diarrhea for 1-2 days.

It looks like it is almost impossible to get rid of them without removing and replacing the top layer of soil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When Shasta was a pup, she would snag one once in a while. Horrible diarrhea for 1-2 days.

It looks like it is almost impossible to get rid of them without removing and replacing the top layer of soil.
No diarrhea, hard and solid and consistent with the RAW hybrid diet I have him on. I agree, it's almost impossible to get rid of them and also follow your dog in lock step in the backyard. I am always with him, but I let him roam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Thanks everyone. I have a vet appointment Monday. His second set of shots. I will gather up every mushroom I can find and bring them with me.

Frisco is fine. Tormenting the heck out of me at his usual 7-10 PM witching hours. Today showed no signs of being lethargic, diarrhea, panting, goopy eyes or drooling.

I’m certainly not minimizing the danger. I should have brought him in. I certainly will if there is a next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



My husband is a Mycologist (mushroomer), and really most mushrooms we see around, with the exception of the Destoying Angel, (Amanita) aren't poisonous, most are edible and some are choice edible. I have about 5 good mushroom books here, but without a picture...can't help a lot.

If what you saw looked like a regular store mushroom, it's probably a Field/Horse/meadow mushroom, they are delicious, out now or soon depending on where you live. They have pink gills if fresh and the gills turn brown the older they get. The difference is quite stark between the regular edible Field mushroom, and the Amanita/Destroying Angel, aside from sporeprints.

Regular Field mushrooms don't have a skirt, Anamita does.

Get pictures if you can. If the dog isn't sick by now, he is probably fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My husband is a Mycologist (mushroomer), and really most mushrooms we see around, with the exception of the Destoying Angel, (Amanita) aren't poisonous, most are edible and some are choice edible. I have about 5 good mushroom books here, but without a picture...can't help a lot.

If what you saw looked like a regular store mushroom, it's probably a Field/Horse/meadow mushroom, they are delicious, out now or soon depending on where you live. They have pink gills if fresh and the gills turn brown the older they get. The difference is quite stark between the regular edible Field mushroom, and the Amanita/Destroying Angel, aside from sporeprints.

Regular Field mushrooms don't have a skirt, Anamita does.

Get pictures if you can. If the dog isn't sick by now, he is probably fine.


Thank you, very helpful. I’ll see if I can find one in the morning and post a picture!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I personally love mushrooms and always make different dishes from them, using recipes from the internet. Also, looking for recipes, I came across information about medicinal mushrooms that really amazed me and I want to share it with you. What impressed me the most was the reishi mushroom which has so many medicinal effects that it can save many lives. On Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum): The sacred mushroom of immortality I found out that it is rich in protein, dietary fiber and contains various trace minerals and vitamins and all its functions. Did you know about them?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top