German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i let some one watch him for two minutes while i ran out to our warehouse at work...sure enough he has his first accident...and he ate a small peice of it??? WHAT SHOULD I DO?? I dont want him to get sick...

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That's not uncommon, lots of puppies eat their poop. Some dogs never get over it, I had a beagle that did it her entire life. He should be fine

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pfffeww...good to know...stinks that he had an accident...but i cant complain he does pretty well and ive only had him for 4 days.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Jackie tries to eat (and succeeds sometimes) cat poop. I've caught her with her own poop too. Dakota still eats cat poop every once in a while. The only thing I noticed that it seemed to give them was diarrhea for a little bit. But I think their tummies are used to it, because they don't even seem to get that anymore. :) I try really hard not to let them get to it, but sometimes they're quicker than I am.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kali did that too. Don't worry about it too much. Hopefully he grows out of it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine eats peacock poo (yes peacocks). boy do they give him the runs (happened twice). He has clean fecal, but least to say we avoid the peacock area at the park now :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
up until today he's only taken 3 poops...but today boy oh boy...hes already taken 3 more monsters....all outside..except for that one accident...and it was only a little chiclet nothing huge....i was begining to worry he was backed up...guess i can stop worrying.....He tried eating it again....i gave him the ah ah ah...and he stopped but as soon as i turned he tried again...the ah ah ah ah...seems to work pretty well especially when i catch him chewing on shoes or shoelaces..he pulls right away...picked up on that the first day....i figured ah ah ah is better then NO bad dog...less negative....any better suggestions on get him to stop eating his caca?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Hunter did that tii and still does on occasion. I looked it up on the internet and found out that it is really normal. Dog and especially cats don't digest their food all the way so when it coles out, to a do, it smells good. Well, we can look at it this way, our dogs are environmentally friendly...they recycle :)

Patti

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not get to worried about him getting sick. I have heard that there is something lacking in their diet that causes them to eat their own feces. There is also a product called Forbid that you can sprinkle on their food that will stop them from eating their own poop. Worth a try because for sanitary purposes you don't want him eating his own poop.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would not get to worried about him getting sick. I have heard that there is something lacking in their diet that causes them to eat their own feces. There is also a product called Forbid that you can sprinkle on their food that will stop them from eating their own poop. Worth a try because for sanitary purposes you don't want him eating his own poop.
I had one dog before that constantly ate his own and others and he was perfectly healthy. We have always fed a good diet so I don't think it is from anything lacking in their diet. It tastes good going in and smells good to them when it comes out so some dogs just do it. If your pup continues to do it then yes go get some Coprophagia pills/wafers at a feed store/pet store or online like Forbid or Dis-taste to get them to stop. I used Dis-Taste from drfostersmith.com and that finally broke my poo eater. You have to give them the pills/wafers according to the instructions in order for them to work and give them to any other dogs with him also. I thought I woulld never break my poo eater from this but I treated him and the other dog in his area with these wafers everyday and it finally worked.

·
Registered
32,021 Posts
If he continues to eat his poop, you should clean it up immediately so it's not available and it doesn't become a habit. I think once you put him on a better food that he might not want too.

It actually might already be a habit, depending on how the breeder cared for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts