German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Hector (5 months) has HD... He always walks twisting his ankle and sleeps too much..
We give him glucosamine , calcium and vitamin B tablets twice a day...
We walk every day totally for 45 mins.
Please suggest urgently!

·
Registered
31,709 Posts
First, you should never give a puppy extra calcium. All they need is in their food. This, in itself, can cause problems.

Second, the only way to tell if the puppy has HD is to take xrays. If you are concerned there is something wrong, you should take him to a vet for xrays.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also found out that my puppy have HD too. He's 1.5 years old. I got his x-ray because i was just curious, and unfortunately he does have it. vet told me it's common for GSD. I was told to give them glucosamine, more excercise, and weight control. I already cut his food down to 1/2 till he get some of his weight off. he's 100 lbs now. My puppy doesn't shows any sign of HD, but vet told me his HD is really bad. I am talking him to different vet for second opinion. I would like to see others answers on this topic. Good luck with your pup, and don't forget just because he got HD doesnt mean it's a death sentence. I have seen dogs with HD livingg over 12 years of life.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
First, you should never give a puppy extra calcium. All they need is in their food. This, in itself, can cause problems.

Second, the only way to tell if the puppy has HD is to take xrays. If you are concerned there is something wrong, you should take him to a vet for xrays.

I second this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen dogs with HD livingg over 12 years of life.[/QUOTE]

But year by year ( if it was not treated ) it would get worse and it will be hard for him to get up and run and play for long period of time.. that is what worrying me.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Fady , hi, don't worry yourself by jumping to conclusions .

If you are that concerned get an x-ray . 5 months of age can give you a preliminary look.

You may not be realizing how much a young dog rests or lounges around .

The twist ankle more than likely is caused by his angulation. He may be a gangly , hocky dog , with loose ligaments which do not give him support. He may "knit and purl" if he has extreme rear angulation -- too much stifle proportions.

If you have any information on his sire , dam, (hip status ) pedigree background , picture and or little video clip you would get more people chiming in with suggestions.

may be nothing --

1 - 6 of 6 Posts