German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is 2-years old male. My VET says his hips are ok, but they came out officially with a mild HD (C-rating). I'm a bit confused... Can someone help me how to read this picture? What is the rating based on?

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Difficult one? :)

The reason I'd like to hear some opinions on this is that I may be complaining about the evaluation, but if at least some people think it's correct, so be it. This is not that important, since the hips are clearly "ok", but "C" just sounds bad... It means dysplastic, that is sick, not healthy. So I'd like to see them "B" (OFA fair, I believe) at least.

This is 2-years old dog, so if there were a real HD disease, the hips would look worse, right?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
It's close. I am surprised they got dysplastic. I would say Fair at least. Can you call and talk to someone?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's close. I am surprised they got dysplastic. I would say Fair at least. Can you call and talk to someone?
Btw, this is not OFA, it's FCI evaluation. In Finland it's done by a single person and there is a standard procedure for complaining.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
The hips are fine. I'm also surprised that they got a C rating. They aren't great, but I wouldn't expect them to fail. Seeing that x-ray I would say the rating is radiographic only and the hips are "workable" from an every day standpoint. Nothing there that would limit physical ability or quality of life. Regardless of what the paperwork says, from the standpoint of the dog being able to lead a long, full, active life and the hips not causing any problems they are ok.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The hips are fine. I'm also surprised that they got a C rating. They aren't great, but I wouldn't expect them to fail. Seeing that x-ray I would say the rating is radiographic only and the hips are "workable" from an every day standpoint. Nothing there that would limit physical ability or quality of life. Regardless of what the paperwork says, from the standpoint of the dog being able to lead a long, full, active life and the hips not causing any problems they are ok.
Agree.

I would have said "Fair" from OFA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts