German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took Dexter for his 6 month check up yesterday. He has always been an itchy dog but the past few weeks it was getting worse. At obedience a guy saw him scratching and said your dog has fleas. I knew he didn't but it was obvious that things weren't right. Frday I noticed bumps on Dexters stomach so I made an appt to get him looked at for Saturday.

Once again our regular vet wasn't there so we saw a partner. He checked Dexters skin and said it was really dry and most likely an allergy. We now have to remove chicken from his diet. I'm trying a grain free fish, but have read fish is also on the most allergy list?

The worst thing that happened was he checked Dexters hips and said both hips had some subluxation. One hip worse than the other. We will be getting X-rays soon. But I am preparing for the worse since he still bunny hops , frog sits, back end swings and I can feel popping when he's walking. I'm so saddened that he is already showing such bad signs.

I went out and bought liquid joint health. I know this may not make a difference, but I'm hoping it helps. My poor baby has been running around all day, playing with my other dogs. I hope he's not in pain :confused: any advice would be greatly appreciated. Except for putting him down, that is not an option for us :(

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
For the allergies, I suggest you try the food you bought. I did hear of a fish allergy but it was to salmon and that dog could have chicken. For the hips, until the x-rays are done, you do not know for sure. Since your pup is better and playing that is good news.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
My chicken allergic dog did well on a fish based food.
Sorry about the HD, see what the x-rays say and go from there. Most dogs can live a long happy life with no surgery and proper management.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You both for the kind words of hope. I talked to a friend of mine (i gave her one of Dexters siblings) and her female pup is also showing the same kind of signs. Shes also big, almost the same size as Dexter. I am looking into exercises to strengthen the back legs ie. wading in water and walking up hills. Dont have a pool so I will look into an above ground one. Theres masssage videos on utube so I will try that too.

Hes not showing any kind of pain yet, but hes never been one to play for hours. Even though lately his prey drive has been getting better (chasing the ball with the exception of distraction from flies, butterflies and bees all around the yard) he still sleeps alot.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup's problems. X-rays will tell you what you have to deal with and then you will be able along with your vet to determine the best course of action. My previous GSD had pretty awful hips and with gentle, muscle building exercise, metacam and carprofen/rimadyl we managed her hips until she was 12 and developed cancer. My current guy is allergic to chicken too and has done really well on Acana Pacifica (fish) and Ranchlands (beef, bison, lamb), all grain free. Acana also produces Lamb and Apple which contains steel cut oats, low glycemic index and well tolerated by most dogs. If you can find Acana in your area you have lots of choices for flavours. Good luck with getting some solutions for your puppy.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took Dexter to an ortho recommended by my vet. I had X-rays done of Dexters hips. I didnt do the digital film. ( I want to say i was being cheap but the total bill was over $ 1,000 :wild:) We did 6 films so the cost for digital was going to be over $250. The right hip was good. The left hip showed some concerns. he said it wasnt bad ( thats all i can remember hearing) where the femoral head (hope that's right) was placed. He recommended Adequan , 10 shots ( 2 times a week) . $80 each I also did a vertebrae X-ray and front legs. I thought may as well while he was sedated. Dexter had some inflammation so we were given Rimadyl. I feel alot better, I know things are not okay but I was having nightmares that he would be paralyzed and I'd have to put him to sleep.

Dexter was to be neutered on Friday, needless to say I cancelled it.

Thanks everyone for your help in calming me down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts