German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having so much fun with Dax. She is a blast to work with. She seems big at 3.5 months?

Had a disappointing visit to the local ipo club. I dont think it will work for me, so we will have to find some other outlets. There were some nice people, but a lot of judging just made me uncomfortable. I also thought it was rude that everyone wanted to know what I paid for my pup...

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Dax is stunning! My dobe mix is colored just like her. I don’t have any experience with ipo, but maybe it’s just that particular club that’s like that? Perhaps you could visit another one before writing it off completely? But I do know how you feel, I gave up showing horses because of how clicky it was and instead took up endurance racing. A wonderful sport with equally wonderful people! Unfortunately people can sometimes ruin an otherwise enjoyable thing. But they can also enhance it.

Take lots of pictures and videos every day so you can look back on these tender memories, it flies by before you know it. My boy just turned seven months and I’m found wondering where my “little fuzzy” went and who replaced him with this big shaggy dog??

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with @atomic if you are really interested in pursuing IPO then I would try one more club just to see if it is different for you, but I understand how you feel. An environment can really affect your emotions. If you were just pursuing it for something to do and you don't mind that much then there are so many fun sports! I have a pup that just turned 9 months old and we have tried a handful of different activities at our local Obedience club and we love it here. It's a great environment and in my experience classes are so cheaper and you really know the trainers love it. We have done agility, rally, obedience, and scent work. When he is older we will try other activities they offer too. Right now we are in the Canine Good Citizen class and in our second scent work class. I have to say I absolutely love doing scent work with Obi. I am only doing 2 classes at a time because it seems to keep a good balance with training and play. Being a part of a club is really fun and rewarding, I keep meeting new people during each session and I have met many judges and trainers and people and dogs that compete. I have learned so much in the 6 months I have been a part of our club and it's really fulfilling for both me and my pup, even the trainers get thoroughly happy with our progress.

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
Some IPO clubs require a thick skin. As for "how much did you pay?" you can always say something like "too much" or "not enough" or "enough to cause conflict at home" or "excuse me?" You just don't need to answer most questions that you are not comfortable answering. Some clubs will have people openly offering opinions on 1) people's dogs 2) handlers 3) handler's methods --- A little like discussion boards....

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Gorgeous pup! He looks like he enjoys working with you.

If you can't find another IPO club in your area, you might look into French Ring or Mondio Ring. My understanding is that they tend to be pretty hard core, but maybe they'd be a friendlier bunch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some IPO clubs require a thick skin. As for "how much did you pay?" you can always say something like "too much" or "not enough" or "enough to cause conflict at home" or "excuse me?" You just don't need to answer most questions that you are not comfortable answering. Some clubs will have people openly offering opinions on 1) people's dogs 2) handlers 3) handler's methods --- A little like discussion boards....
It was very much like this and I probably should have been better prepared.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with @atomic if you are really interested in pursuing IPO then I would try one more club just to see if it is different for you
I think IPO would be fun, but so would lots of other things. The obedience club sounds like a ton of fun so I will look around and see if there is anything like that local. There are a couple other IPO clubs, but they are both at least a 2 hour drive away which is more drive time than I want to commit to right now.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Yeah......good looker she is......as far as the " I also thought it was rude that everyone wanted to know what I paid for my pup..." ....when it comes to that question.....you might just say "twice as much as half"......

SuperG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dax is stunning! My dobe mix is colored just like her.

Thank you!! I have my fingers crossed that she will stay colored the way she is now. But everyone says she will get lighter. I've seen enough pictures on here to know that's a good possibility.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think everyone should have a thick skin to employ, but people should be extra forgiving and helpful to those completely new to the sport. Any sport! Everyone has been new at some point or another.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah......good looker she is......as far as the " I also thought it was rude that everyone wanted to know what I paid for my pup..." ....when it comes to that question.....you might just say "twice as much as half"......

SuperG
I will use this one next time!! I honestly was just shocked that strangers would ask the first time they met me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts