German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my gosh. I am so worried. Last time I really left her is when we left her with my mom (who knows GSD's pretty well) when we went to Atlanta earlier this year.

We're going away this weekend from Friday until Sunday evening. Some friends are taking care of Hannah (GSD) and Harley (Golden Retriever), but they don't know much about GSD's at all.

I have told them standard stuff like rules to eating, potty signals, signs of pain in Hannah and when to give medication, how Harley counter-surfs and takes dishes out of the sink and cleans them himself, and of their raging trash parties if we leave it out.

Their two dogs never go on walks or get out really. I told them they can play lots of mental games with them, but my collection of those games is at my mom's house! Do you guys have any ideas?

Hannah had some fairly bad separation anxiety. She's doing better now, but I'm worried if she's not entertained constantly or worn out that she's gonna start freaking out. Having Harley with her helps her do better. Usually when we go away, we take them both to Camp Bow Wow, but Will didn't get their bordatella shots so they can't go.

Is there anything we can do to make this easier for the people watching them and for the dogs? I really have no idea. Will has no idea. I'm completely drawing a blank. :help:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Your friends can't make an exception and walk your dogs? That would be ideal if they could do that or at least take them out to play fetch.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
since all of the dogs get along i bet they'll keep
each other entertained. enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your friends can't make an exception and walk your dogs? That would be ideal if they could do that or at least take them out to play fetch.
I highly doubt it because they never walk their own. That's just a guess though. Their backyard is really small, too. I'm thinking they'll get some fetch in, but like I said it's a really small yard, they won't take them to the dog park. No cars big enough to haul their dogs and ours.

I'm going to spend today and tomorrow at the dog park here, super-fetch, long walks, swimming since it's warmer out. Honestly, I'm thinking they're just gonna sit at their house and be bored which isn't what I want. :( I am thankful they're caring for them. We have watched their dogs plenty, but they're smaller dogs - a Gordon Setter/Cocker Spaniel mix and a Beagle/Boxer mix.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We're put in the same dilemma when we want to get away. We personally don't know anybody who we would trust with our dog. My GF and I have friends who have a dog as well but their dog never gets walked so I would definitely not leave my GSD with them.

We're going away next weekend and I found a doggie daycare in the same town that will take care of our pup. There might also be local dog camps that might be able to take them if you search the web.

Do you have a dog walker that you use who might be able to take them while you're gone?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I do pet sitting as a side job. I appreciate it when people leave me lots of written directions. And make sure your friends have your contact numbers in case they need to reach you. Do you have some toys that you can leave that the dogs haven't played with for a while?

I bet the dogs get in some extra naps while you're away. :)

If you were gonig to be gone longer, you might want to let your vet know that so-and-so would be taking care of them in case they needed to get emergency care.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I totally understand the stress of going away. Right now I am going to be starting a new petsitter. With 2 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats and a fish tank its the only way to go. I found a local woman that has horses and dogs so I'm hoping this works out. My husband really needs to get away and everytime the topic comes up I stress because I haven't begun working with her yet. I have all my instructions printed out along with phone numbers, I even did a "profile" on each one with all thier quirks. Honestly I wouldn't want someone taking my dogs out of the yard, they will be fine without going for a walk. I am totally neurotic about leaving my pets, but if I don't... I think hubby will be looking for an attorney.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's just a few days and your dogs will be so interested in all the new stuff and surroundings they'll probably have a blast. Really, all your friends have to do is keep them fed, watered and breathing for 3 nights.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, really they don't need super special treatment. Just fed, watered, and pottied. I wish we could have taken them to Camp Bow Wow like usual. They love, love, love it there and are absolutely exhausted when we pick them up. They always get great report cards, too. Oh well...next time. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
why cant your mom watch them? just curious since she has the experience and has done it before. I understand your concerns. I'm totally distrusting when it comes to my dogs. Especially if they dont have GSD experience. Nobody can take care of my dogs the way i can/do and i hate wondering whats going on at home, if they got out, if they got sick.... really any number of things. basically all i have for you is just try and breath and leave VERY detailed instructions including personality profiles.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My mom can't watch them because she lives in Georgia. I'm gonna be writing up some very detailed instructions in a few minutes here. I wish my mom were closer, but nope. I'm 1,600 miles away from my family. :(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My mom can't watch them because she lives in Georgia. I'm gonna be writing up some very detailed instructions in a few minutes here. I wish my mom were closer, but nope. I'm 1,600 miles away from my family. :(

oh ok. i understand. i'm in about the same position as you are. There's nobody out here i would trust with my dogs at all. least you have a friend who can watch them there. Wish it was a less stressful situation for you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts