German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I both have our own dogs, her dog is a 5yr old chihuahua mix, Scooby, and mine is the 12wk old GSD mix, Odin. All Odin wants to do is play, but Scooby is territorial with my fiance and wants to growl and bear her teeth at him. What can I do to socialize them safely?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
not to mention he is already bigger than she is. I don't want her aggressive behavior rubbing off on him. Anything that we can try to calm her down and make her less aggressive.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Do you both practice NILIF? I would up it with the Chi and start it with Odin. I would also enroll in some good classes for both dogs, best if they aren't in the same one but if that easier, it may help them to bond a bit more. I would not leave them alone unsupervised ever or you may end up with an injured dog(could even be Odin)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, unfortunately she doesn't do NILIF. I try to practice it sometimes, but I don't do it all the time, I know it defeats the purpose. I have been told to take it easy on my pup for a while since he was recently rescued though. Can't join classes either, too much $$. I was hoping to try and tame the beast at home. Her dog lives with her in her house and I have mine in a crate here at my house trying to housebreak him, so they aren't near each other most of the time. But we have tried to socialize her with him and she growls and barks out of fear. He shows no aggression at all.

·
5,627 Posts
I suggest taking them on plenty of walks together so that they get used to do doing good things together and see each other as good.

Also, your girlfriend needs to do NILIF with the Chi. The guarding of an owner happens a lot when dogs are spoiled and not given a clear idea of who is in charge. The Chi thinks your GF is his and doesn't want to share. Scooby needs to learn that the GF is the boss and can decide who to pay attention to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the walking idea, I think maybe even we can trade leashes and bring treats also for when they are doing well. Is there any correction we can make to the Chi when she snaps at the gsd?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts