German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We go several times a week around 8:45 in the morning when a lot of "regulars" with well-behaved dogs show up, and it's been such a positive experience that I wanted to let you guys know.

I also could really see Teddy's coordination improving once she was able to run unimpeded in a wider open space than a small back yard or on a leash. (Six acre park with small doggie pond. ;) )

I've tried going in the evenings, but the crowd at that time is a bit "iffy-er." :)

What is most interesting is that Teddy will not bring back a ball when I throw it at the dog park, while she will play fetch and retrieve the ball for hours at home. :confused: So, I throw the ball, she runs after it, grabs it, sits in a "perfect" sit :gsdsit: while waiting for me to walk to her, I grab the ball, throw it, and we repeat everything again and again. So the upshot to all of this is - I've lost five pounds. :happyboogie:

One more thing - I was out of town for a week, and I missed her SO MUCH! :wub:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Isn't that pure joy? It's great to read that you had a positive experience at the dog park with your GSD. I have very slowly dipped my toe in that water and pulled back slightly. I took Fynn to try it out but kept him on leash (silly, me). It's really not the dogs I'm nervous about but rather how attentive the owners are to their dogs.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If for any reason folks get to chatting a bit too much and I think the dogs might be getting a little rowdy (rarely), I just walk Teddy over to another area and play fetch with her. And when someone arrives with a strange dog, I'm always on high alert.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
We go several times a week around 8:45 in the morning when a lot of "regulars" with well-behaved dogs show up, and it's been such a positive experience thatI wanted to let you guys know.

What is most interesting is that Teddy will not bring back a ball when I throw it at the dog park, while she will play fetch and retrieve the ball for hours at home. :wub:
If you want to keep having positive experiences at the dog park, may I suggest you keep the ball out of there. Treats and toys incite riots at dog parks and it isn't pretty.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think one of the keys to a positive dog park experience is the 'pseudo pack' environment that is created when the same 'regulars' show up every day at the same time. I go about 4 days a week, know 90% of the people and dogs there. Very positive experiences! Like you, I do not go at the 'iffy' times when all the random people in the world decide to bring their (possibly not well socialized) dogs to the dog park, which seems to be weekends and sometimes in the evenings. I have great luck on weekdays!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We only play fetch when we are away from the other dogs or when I am around dogs I know. Teddy won't fight for the ball, and neither will the other regulars, but they sure do enjoy the competition of seeing who can get to it first. Probably 2/3rds of the regulars come with ball and chuck it in hand.

I know what you mean, though. I have encountered one dog that was practically attacking "me" to get to the ball I was holding. :wild: I immediately put the ball in my backpack. Haven't seem him, again, though.

One word of advice for newbies in the park: Don't keep dog treats in your pockets! :eek::eek::eek: (Got to be "extremely" friendly with a brindle boxer that way. :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
We only play fetch when we are away from the other dogs or when I am around dogs I know. Teddy won't fight for the ball, and neither will the other regulars, but they sure do enjoy the competition of seeing who can get to it first.
My dog still has the scars nine years later where his best friend Lab that he played with regularly one day decided he did not want my dog near his ball anymore, both dogs were nine months old at the time.

I also had a Golden redirect and attack my dog because a Dobie got too close to his ball and he decided that day he was not going to share anymore.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes. Well, I'll make sure that we'll play far away from the others. With six acres, we generally play at the far end of the field while the other dogs are playing in/around the pond, anyway. I don't like to hose her down every time we go to the park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts