German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come someone can break into your house, but if the dog bites them, they can sue you??? THEY broke into YOUR house! What if you had "Beware of Dog" signs up or something like that to warn them? I'm guessing a sign wouldn't help win a case, but how does that work??? It makes NO sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
How come someone can break into your house, but if the dog bites them, they can sue you??? THEY broke into YOUR house! What if you had "Beware of Dog" signs up or something like that to warn them? I'm guessing a sign wouldn't help win a case, but how does that work??? It makes NO sense to me.
Has to be some way for all those lawyers to make a living, right? THink of their families!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
A sign make actually make it worse - you're acknowledging that the dog is something to beware of.

Here in RI, not sure what AZ law is, if a dog bites someone who's perpetrating a crime, the dog isn't at fault. I researched it well when I first moved here becuase I had a protection trained dog. It was laid out like this - someone walks into your house becuase they're an idiot or drunk and think it's someone else's house, your dog bites them, you are liable. Someone smashes a window and jumps in, your dog bites them, they can't sue.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Here in Florida we need a BAD DOG sign posted in order to avoid liability though I'm not sure we'd be held liabel if someone broke into our homes and got bitten even without the sign (we can shoot them dead, so I assume a dog bite would be okay).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A sign make actually make it worse - you're acknowledging that the dog is something to beware of.

Here in RI, not sure what AZ law is, if a dog bites someone who's perpetrating a crime, the dog isn't at fault. I researched it well when I first moved here becuase I had a protection trained dog. It was laid out like this - someone walks into your house becuase they're an idiot or drunk and think it's someone else's house, your dog bites them, you are liable. Someone smashes a window and jumps in, your dog bites them, they can't sue.

It is SO stupid LOL
You CAN put NO TREPASSING signs.
And I dont think you can get in trouble. Or PRIVATE PROPERTY signs.
MMMMM
But Im sure you will still get in trouble somehow.....
Thats like the guy who broke into a convience store & sued when he fell out of the vent....???????
hahahahah

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here's a funny story. When i lived in Arizona, before i met my husband there was a soldier that lived right down the street from him. This soldier had a pitbull. Someone tried to break into this guy's house but he had the pit under control and he was standing up at the top of the steps with his dog and a rifle, the guy that broke in was staring right at the end of the rifle and saw the dog, the Soldier said "You have 3 choices-- the bullet, the dog or leave your choice". The guy decided to leave. The soldier did call the cops and the guy was later arrested.

There are days that i still lived in Arizona. Not sure if Minnesota has that law. Here if Someone walks on your property and they fall and break their leg they can hold you responsible. I am pretty sure it's the same if someone were to break in and the dog bites.

I think it's sad that the criminals are protected and you get sued because it's your own house or property.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts