German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched my local library's online catalog for DVDs about GSDs, and the movie WHITE DOG came up in the search. It's about a White GSD who was trained to "be racist" and they attempt to rehabilitate him. I watched it tonight, and the dog is gorgeous. I've never had an attraction to WGSDs until I saw the dog in the movie. Has anyone else seen it? I never heard of it until I did that library search.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Never heard of it, but any movies with GSD's or dogs in general catch my attention. Where did you find it?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have heard of it but never seen it. He really is a pretty dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's a pretty scary looking dog!!!!! sheesh!!! never heard of the movie until now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did a YouTube search and apparently it was never released in the US. At least, that's what YouTube said. I am unfamiliar with the movie, but there is a small clip available here:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have seen it.

I did not like the way they made the breed look, in fact that movie really pissed me off for a number of reasons. :mad:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Interesting concept but based on the clip it seems a bit too melodramatic for me. The dog chasing down the guy, him crawling on the floor, the fake blood and snarling after he's eaten the guy? YIKES. I mean, that dogs bite work STINKS! It was like he was nibbling on the jacket and we're supposed to believe he killed him? OK. Whatev.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
And whatever they stuck in the dogs mouth to get that fake perpetual snarl is ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I saw it on tv many years ago. I thought it was ok .

·
Registered
31,973 Posts
I watched it many, many years ago.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Woo now I really want to see it!! It does sound like something Sam Fuller would make!
White Dog: Sam Fuller Unmuzzled - From the Current - The Criterion Collection
That's a really good article. :)

I hated that they used the white shepherd because without the seeing the movie you just assume it was a naturally mean dog and the movie really isn't about the dog or the breed.

It bothers me any time they make a movie using shepherds, whatever the color, or actually any breed. A great movie with a great shepherd or any other breed, sends flocks of people off to the puppy store because they want "that dog". How many of those cute little pups end up in shelters when the owners find out they really didn't buy Rin Tin Tin or Lassie or Bolt or Old Yeller?

If the dog is bad in the movie it hurts the breeds reputation.

Personally I wish they would use all mixed breeds in movies so no one breed has to suffer the fallout.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Must be marbles in his mouth. He looks like a sweet and well fed dog. I think the barking and growling was dubbed.
It was definitely dubbed. At one point in the Youtube clip, the soundtrack had loud growling and the dog was sneezing!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Someone would make a movie like this. I don't think I will see it, looks weird, and I would mute the whole thing and fast forward to all the scenes with the dog.

Also someone said they should use all mixed breeds, well if they do that and use mixed breeds in movies like this they will think mixed breeds are scary. And plus they probably need to use certain breeds for certain movies and such.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Someone would make a movie like this. I don't think I will see it, looks weird, and I would mute the whole thing and fast forward to all the scenes with the dog.

Also someone said they should use all mixed breeds, well if they do that and use mixed breeds in movies like this they will think mixed breeds are scary. And plus they probably need to use certain breeds for certain movies and such.
I don't believe so, because mixed breeds can look so different. If people are going to develop a fear, they are going to develop a fear of mix-breeds that strongly resemble that dog, not all mixed breeds. Kind of like how people are only scared of german shepherds but not all dogs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts