German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your opinion about the throwback DDR?
video/photo can be found via germanshepherdman dot com

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
In one of his other videos he said that his DDR dogs would be about 115 pounds and that this was normal. Weren't DDR German shepherds still held to the same standard as any other GSD? Or did they somehow have a different standard that allowed for dogs to be that big?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
first in Canada to use DDR stud - before there was a provision for registreation

spent two years doing paper work jumping through hoops and then it all fell into place.

that dog was Grando Mecklenburger Buffel Grando Mecklenburger Buffel

bred to Ulf h Iris Ulf vom Haus Iris

bred to Klockow's Lex Klockow's Lex

owned and bred to Damon vom Banach Damon Carmspack

owned and bred to Akut Lablapega Akut Lablapega

owned Linda Kuhnhof Linda vom Kuhnhof

still have "Avery" who was imported from Sandokan kennels Germany to USA where her first owner
filled in the paper work with this name Airdrie Hill vom Schmetterling

recently had Parchimer Land's Chiba Chiba vom Parchimer Land

owned some young prospects brought in by "Kavanagh" -- one great little male failed to drop testicles
ended up as a PPD for a recording artist

had some others hand picked for custom training - so lots of experience

there were no 115 pound dogs -- ever ----

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
any similar dogs on the forum?
Bud was very typical of the type in appearance, heavy bone and big head, and far larger then either parent for some reason. He was a monster at around 95lbs. I did find that he was more serious, more stubborn, highly territorial and very protective. But calm and lazy are not words I would use to describe him.

IMG240.jpg

IMG238.jpg

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Have seen the DDR dogs in old black and white training videos. Definitly NOT 115 lbs. or anywhere near it, but lots of reverse masks (which are not to standard.)

These dogs needed to be agile, and do things a 115 lb. dog could not do due to its size.

Here's a video similar to the one I once saw of the DDR dogs, but was never able to find again: The Czech border patrol dogs all have DDR (East German) blood in their background, as well as West German.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sunsilver;9108779 [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBergQAhm0" said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRBergQAhm0[/url]
I am a fan of DDR and Czech lines yet with all the romanticism associated to these lines, we should not forget that those videos show how these dogs were used to suppress freedom and to prevent people from escaping totalitarianism. Of course other GSDs were also used to suppress civil rights in the South. Unfortunately, GSDs as a working dog can be used as tools for the bad as much as for the good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts