German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Killian has had an upset stomach for about three days, poor guy was getting me up three times a night because he couldn't hold it. I took him to the vet, they did a fecal and it was negative. They gave him an injection of BenzPen + B-12, they sent him home with Metronidazole pills, a Hydralye Electrolyte Powder and a special diet of dog food. It's prescription diet i/d Canine Gastrointestinal Health canned dog food. I asked them if this would upset his stomach, changing him off his food. She said it wouldn't. Have any of you have experience with using this dog food?? He is supposed to start it tonight....

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh had to go on it when he had diarrhea from giardia and he loved it!! I have to say it worked well for him. I felt kind of betrayed because my initial reaction was "Ugghhhh, Science Diet!!" but I followed the vet's instructions for feeding and all went well. Hope your little one feels better soon

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Prescription diets are made very carefully in the plant, but I still don't like most of the ingredients. My vet gave my RC prescription to try when Elsa had some GI problems, but I solved the issue on my own (figured out it was prob chicken allergy). They do have their place and i know they have worked well for other people.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just hope this helps him. Poor guy just whimpers and whines insanely because his poor booty. :-( Were working on the Electrolyte fluids right now...

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Back when Cash had a severe case of Colitis, the vet put him on Science Diet i/d. The nasty, bloody diarrhea cleared up almost immediately. I'd been trying to fix his diarrhea with canned pumpkin, Pepto-bismol, fasting, and boiled chicken. When it elevated to pooping blood I took him to the vet, which was when they put him on the i/d. Like I said, it worked wonders. I don't know what they put in that stuff, but it's great for helping with intestinal problems.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
If my dog HAD to go on a prescription diet, I'd try to get Iams products instead of Science Diet. They tend to have better ingredients while still taking care of pretty much all the same problems.

I've never had a dog on prescription foods (and never used Science Diet products) but we did use the Iams Low Residue (for intestinal health) canned and dry foods at the last kennel I worked for. We rarely saw dogs have a problem (ie. loose stools/diarrhea from the switch) when they were fed it. We would also often switch dogs to it who were having non-stop diarrhea on what was brought in with them. It often cleared up the problem.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Over the years, some of the Hooligans have been given i/d for this and that problem ... they survived eating it.

Andy, my cocker, ate K/D for over 8 years and did quite well on it - he was 16 plus when he died. Kelly was on a prescription diet the for his SIBO ... he ate Low Residue for about 18 months, maybe longer, before he was slowly weaned back to regular dog food.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It should fix his problem. He wont be on it long term anyway. A/D is another of the Science Diet products they sometimes use also.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Shane was on ZD Ultra for a long time and it definitely helped him. Once we got the right combination of meds for his IBD I was able to wean him off it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ellie was on that for a while too when she was sick for a bit. She liked it and it seemed to do the trick. I still have a can left over since I switched her to a home cooked bland diet since I didn't like the ingredients.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My vet puts dogs on the dry i/d after they have surgery. Shya was ok on it. Solid stool, though orange like the food! As long as it's just temporary, I wouldn't worry too much about the ingredients. I freaked out at first too because my food was all corn which I was trying diligently to avoid. Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's got all kinds of things that you'd think would make it worse, like pork, but hey it worked, Stosh liked it and it was just for a week. At that point I would have fed him Corn Flakes if it did the trick.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At that point I would have fed him Corn Flakes if it did the trick.
Yea, were at the point there is blood in his stool. I'm willing to do ANYTHING to fix him and help him. We all know what it feels like to have "that" upset stomach for days. I feel so bad for him.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Water, Egg Product, Turkey, Rice, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Pork Liver, Soy Fiber, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Taurine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.
aka bland diet :)

http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine-id-canine-gastrointestinal-health-canned.html

Glad he's feeling better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've used it a couple times for my dog when he's had flare ups with his GI system. I really don't like Science Diet, but when it comes down to it....I'll use whatever it takes to help my dog get better. I tried a chicken/rice home-made bland diet and it just didn't work out for him. The i/d worked great though - and he loved the taste.

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
not for dogs but my cat was on it for years. It does the job.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
For some reason, Science Diet i/d was the only food with grain in it that Cash was able to tolerate. Every other food with grain that I tried gave him horrible diarrhea and made him look like a refugee from a concentration camp within a week.

Now why would he be able to digest i/d but not any other grain food?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am going to have to say, even though I am huge proponent of the best dogs foods, that there are times when you need this. And yes I know all the ingredients that are discussed in IAMs.

My little guy just recently went through a bout of water diarrhea. He has the most sensitive stomach. Anyway, we did all the normal stuff that we have done in the past...bland diet, rice, everything under the sun and he was still water 7 days later.

So my great vet handed me the bag of IAMs low residue (prefer this to S/D) and it was back to real dog poo in 24 hours.

Our vet will be keeping him on this a few weeks and then work with us to find a good unique protein food for his permanent food source.

No matter how you knock it, and I have, for certain dogs and certain times, this type of food really helps.

·
Registered
936 Posts
It's got all kinds of things that you'd think would make it worse, like pork, but hey it worked, Stosh liked it and it was just for a week. At that point I would have fed him Corn Flakes if it did the trick.
LOL....corn flakes....I am with you on that. Whatever it takes to get our little ones better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts