German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever taken a pet to a shelter? Why? Could you follow up on your ex-pet? How'd you feel?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I never took one of my own pets to a shelter, but when I lived in the city I once took a friendly stray cat to a shelter. We already had three cats in an apartment or we would have taken her in. One of my coworkers told me it was a good shelter, I think his parents volunteered there or something.

A few days later I called back to see how she was doing and they told me that they had put her down. I was devastated! I asked why and they said it was because she didn't get along with other cats. What cat does get along with other cats?? I thought that was a ridiculous reason to put her down, and I told them (through tears) that they should have called me. I would have had her spayed and at least let her live in our carport (we had built a shelter for her).

That was the first and last time I will ever take an animal to a shelter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you are having second thoughts about being an owner, and how you think you are not able to give the dog the attention it needs, Seek out someone on this forum to take him in first before giving to a shelter. Its better to give to a friend then to a stranger.

If the dog has attitude problems, remember, the dog will act how you act, and feed off your emotions and tension levels. Be calm and in control.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The only time Ive taken an animal to the shelter was last summer... Diesel and I were walking one of our favorite trails along a river and I spotted a plastic bag moving by the water and Diesel ran to it and looked back at me so I went and opened it, there were 6 kittens in the bag! All but two were dead :( Unfortunately I tried to find them homes but couldn't seeing how right now I am living with my family again I could not keep them, so I took them to the shelter... When we got to the shelter and I was signing the paper work a woman came in who was looking for a kitten, well long story short we ripped up the paper work and she took both the kittens home :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
...and I spotted a plastic bag moving by the water and Diesel ran to it and looked back at me so I went and opened it, there were 6 kittens in the bag! All but two were dead :(
That is horrible when the idiot that was trying to kill them failed. Back on the farm years ago they use to drown animals before winter, as it was more humane than letting them live in the -50c weather. There was no room for barn cats and such. But on the farm... they made sure to do it right the first time. What you found is just cruel.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It was a dog, but it wasn't my dog, per se. My cousins came to live with us when we were younger and they brought a GSD x Pit with them. The dog had some serious screws loose, but we tried it anyways. We had him neutered immediately (9 months) and nothing seemed to mellow out. He became more and more aggressive. The dog we already had, Baxter, was getting attacked on a regular basis. Charlie tried everything to get at Baxter, even when we had them separated on different floors of the house.

It got to the point where all we could do was put him in a kennel in a spare room and just walk him and feed him. He also had some serious HA; it was a 50/50 shot if you were going to get bitten just trying to put a leash on him. The final straw was when he bit my Dad. We tried a rescue, but he wouldn't let the evaluator near him. A behaviorist told us the safest thing would be to euthanize him; he got to the point where you couldn't get near the kennel without him going insane. Our vet, who had a shelter he worked with, was willing to try and take him. He tried to work with him, but Charlie attacked and nearly killed another dog at the shelter, so he was put down immediately.

I felt bad, but at the same time, I didn't lose any sleep over it. We pole vaulted management and went to trying to keep everyone safe in a matter of days. The medication stopped working and he just became so aggressive that, we weren't happy and he wasn't happy. It was the best thing for everyone involved.

·
Registered
673 Posts
When we got to the shelter and I was signing the paper work a woman came in who was looking for a kitten, well long story short we ripped up the paper work and she took both the kittens home :)
LOVE IT! Lucky kitties :)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Yes, a long time ago. When I was younger and married to my ex husband, he wanted the dog but not the responsibility. I'll keep it short and sweet, but they ended up at the shelter, not because I wanted them to, but because I was "the good wife" and pretty much did what I was told.

One of many reasons he's an ex.

Thankfully, I am now married to a wonderful man and those problems are long gone. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts