German Shepherds Forum banner

Have you gotten a puppy off the side of the road?

• Yes

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 81.6%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a puppy off the side of the road?

My husband and I were stationed at Fort Rucker, AL six years ago and I swear there is a season where just every turn you take puppies are for sale on the side of the road. We just moved into our own place together and settled in, so we avoided stopping and looking at ANY puppies. We were both UNINFORMED at the moment of BYB or really much of going about getting a dog. Well needless to say, one day my hubby caved, we stopped, there were pitt puppies "with papers" for sale for 300 dollars. *eyes roll* Anywho and there was this one Black Lab left out of it's litter. I gave my hubby the doe eyes and 35 dollars later, we had our first dog. Two days later she came down with parvo and we spent an astronomical amount of money to save her life, and sadly she was the only one out of her litter to survive. She has been the best dog EVER, minus the recent outburst on the Blue Heeler, and I couldn't imagine going a day without her. LUCKILY, she has really good health. We do however spoil her and protect her hips now so we reduce chances of hip problems as she ages. As she gets older, I get sad thinking of the day she won't be with us.

I know nobody suggest buying a dog off the side of the road, but I was wondering. Am I the only one???

Have you gotten a pup off the side of the road? What was your experience?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Yep, when I was around 19 I got a male pup from the roadside. He was free and what's not to love about cute and free when you're a teenager? He lived a very long life and was amazingly healthy with a great temperament...and he was cute up until the day he died. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Nope, never, though we rescued a tiny kitten once that was sitting on the side of the road.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I don't think i've ever even seen puppies being sold on the side of the road before.

If I ever do, I definitely wouldn't take one home.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
This Fall my friend and I (and our two dogs) drove from MI to CO - somewhere along that route - I honestly do not remember where we were, there was someone selling Labs in a gas station parking lot. They had a whole litter around 8 weeks and then several other puppies that looked to be closer to 12-16 weeks. The let them out to run around the truck parked on the side of the parking lot - I found it extremely appalling. :(

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Nope, I've never seen puppies for sale like that and wouldn't go near them. They could carry diseases like parvo which I don't want to track home to my own dogs and dog training clubs. Also I would never support that type of breeding by giving them my money.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would not buy a puppy on the side of a road.

If the puppy/puppies were free I would take as many as I could. I would rather have them and care for them until I can find them good homes then let some weirdo/bum/gangbanger/dog fighter/murder get them.

Everyone wants a free puppy and that is what's scary. :(

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yeah my main commitment is to my current dogs and my friends, which means not bringing in animals that put my dogs or my friends' dogs at risk. The last thing I want is to be asked not to come back to my dog clubs/training because I had a parvo dog in my home. My current dogs are vaccinated but unless I bleached every square inch of everything and everyone there's no way I could guarantee no risk to any future dogs I would like to get or any young puppies/dogs belonging to friends I train with. As much as I'd like to help the puppies on the road my number one commitment is my current pets. I had a bad experience bringing in a short term foster/transport dog that ended up having a parasite that's very hard to get rid of so I've limited my "rescue" efforts to doing transports where the dogs only ever "touch" me or my kennel van. I can sanitize my clothing and van kennel easily enough. Likewise, I realize that being in so many dog clubs/training classes I need to be more careful so when I visit my breeder-friend I avoid the very young puppies, or I bring a complete change of clothing (including shoes) that is kept sterile and bagged. I personally am not a germ freak but I don't want my dogs getting sick or neonatal puppies getting sick because of something I could have prevented.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I live in Amish country. There is an Amish farm that also sells pug puppies. :(

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm shocked so many of you haven't seen that sort of thing. I swear, all the time I see it. I wouldn't get a dog that way now. Now I know better, but she was our first, and our awesomeness, and I love her to death and back, still being spoiled to this day!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
One Christmas years ago when my daughter was just a young girl, she really wanted a puppy for Christmas. We told her that Santa wasn't allowed to carry puppies in the sleigh. She still insisted that Santa would find a way.

Christmas eve, I was at Walmart in the evening getting last minute things. When I walked out a lady came walking up to me and handed me a little brown sheltie mix puppy - aprox 8 weeks old. All she said was, "you've been looking for her" as she handed her to me. I stood there with my mouth hanging open and never said a word as the lady walked away.

I stopped at my neighbor's house on the way home and left the puppy there. I got home, put my daughter to bed....spent the next hour convincing my husband that we needed to keep the puppy. Then I went to my neighbor's house to pick up the puppy - she had given her a bath, found a large box to put her in and put a bow on her head.

We went home, woke up my daughter telling her santa had already come....when she saw the box she screamed, "I knew Santa would bring me a puppy!". The rest of the gifts were forgotten. That puppy was her best friend for many years. Turned out to be a great little dog. She died an old dog, the day after Christmas years later...in my daughter's room, sleeping in her bed as she always did.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I voted no but I did buy my first GSD from a pet store. Would not recommend that either its about the same thing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It is so common in New Mexico, especially right off highway exits and in grocery store parking lots.
I've never bought one and never would.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
oh man, that is seriously common here. I hate it! We get a lot of rural people coming here that sell them to us "city folk" . It is mostly blue healer, beagle and pit bulls cross or PB
It's actually upsetting and now against our city ordinance ! Hopefully with the new law this spring won't be so bad now.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I've brought home many strays from the side of the road,lol Cats, dogs, and even an injured squirrel and bird from time to time. The only one we kept though was a mutt named Buffy who was the sweetest girl ever, lived to be 15, and was smart as a whip:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
The grocery store parking lot across highway from our neighborhood always has a van selling puppies. I hate driving by it. I never see adult dogs with them and the puppies always look so young. It breaks my heart to see that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts