German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's un GSD related, but have you ever heard from older people that if someone is sick or laying on a sick bed and a hound howls, that person or someone nearby is going to "leave this world"?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The night my great uncle Al died his dog howled outside his bedroom window. All the old folks said anytime that happens they know someone is going to die.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
There is a cat that lives in a nursing home that goes to peoples beds, just before they die. I heard they are making a movie about it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
kiya, i heard about that cat! crazy

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
That is exactly why I don't want a house cat!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol i've heard about the cat but making a movie out of it? sorry but really? Oh he's going to a room! oh! he's staying in the room! Oh the person is dead. yup... big story there. Sorry but some things in my mind just would make for a useless movie.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
OH Yes, GSD Fan. I have an 84 year old mother. She is very superstitious and has a saying about everything. Have definitely heard the dog howling related to death thing. Have also heard the old folks talk about the death rattles. My grandmother was an invalid. I went to her house one night to give her medication. Even though I had never heard them before, the second I opened her door, I thought, "So that's death rattles." She was dead the next morning. Heard it years later, when my Dad died. I would call it congestive heart failure, but you hear that sound once and you never forget.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have heard that saying before. One of my favorite books when I was young was a book of superstitions and omens.

I haven't heard much about death rattles though. That I'm not sure I do want to know about. I only had a feeling when my grandma died, which was disturbing because dad had called the nursing home and was put on hold and I freaked out and said "Get the other phone and call so they have to answer the other line cuz she's dying right now!"

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
A death rattle is a gurgling or rattle-like noise produced shortly before death by the accumulation of excessive respiratory secretions in the throat. Those who are dying may lose their ability to swallow, resulting in such an accumulation.

My research said that the death rattles are a strong indication that someone is dying and some other stuff that I failed to copy. At any rate, when my father was in hospice care and started making that sound, I looked at my nurse cousin and our expressions were identical. We had both heard that sound before. Hear it once, and you just know.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hound Howling death is near. Broom falls on the floor company is coming. Blood on the moon trouble isnt far.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My mother said that if you hear a bird singing in the middle of the night, someone died. She heard it when her father died too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A death rattle is a gurgling or rattle-like noise produced shortly before death by the accumulation of excessive respiratory secretions in the throat. Those who are dying may lose their ability to swallow, resulting in such an accumulation.

My research said that the death rattles are a strong indication that someone is dying and some other stuff that I failed to copy. At any rate, when my father was in hospice care and started making that sound, I looked at my nurse cousin and our expressions were identical. We had both heard that sound before. Hear it once, and you just know.
Ohhh! Thanks for the explanation. I have heard of that before, for some reason I was thinking rattling like an earthquake.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There is a cat that lives in a nursing home that goes to peoples beds, just before they die. I heard they are making a movie about it.

Not neccessarily a premonition. Maybe those people are just allergic to cats?

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

·
Registered
604 Posts
There is also agonal breathing, "an abnormal pattern of breathing characterized by shallow, slow (3-4 per minute), irregular inspirations followed by irregular pauses. It may also be characterized by gasping, labored breathing, accompanied by strange vocalizations".

Sometimes people interchange the terms but they aren't completely the same thing. You hear the "death rattle" alot (sometimes plus agonal) when it is a death that is a gradual deterioration. Agonal breathing by itself happens in trauma alot, when there is brain death for any number of reasons.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes. As my dad was dying (he had cancer that spread) his dogs, a lab mix and a Chow mix, sat by the window near the head of his bed. They began howling about a minute before he took his last breath. They continued to howl for about 5 minutes. It was kind of freaky but kind of beautiful at the same time.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts