German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who I've started texting nearly daily. I'm not interested in him, but I figured at least being friends would be nice, ya know? He invited me to go hiking up on the mountain yesterday. Because I couldn't think up an excuse, I said yes. I should have been studying for a midterm, but I was bored and lonely and I figured hanging out would be fun.
I brought Rylie (my long coat German Shepherd) along because she loves to hike too. And because I never want to be completely alone with a guy I dont 120% trust/know. And I know (and have been seeing since she’s gotten older) that she wouldn’t let someone hurt me. She seems to KNOW when I’m upset or feel threatened. And that’s when others should look out. Anyways, I figured it would just be a short hike. Once we got there though, he wanted to go on one of the more difficult trails that winds to the peak, that he'd been on before. I noticed the trail was very faint. As we hiked, I started to regret coming with him because he's like all the worst qualities of my ex boyfriend combined: he's annoying, correcting, literal, stoic, etc. Very sweet but no fun at all. But fellow hikers did keep stopping us to look at Ry, “WHAT A BEAUTIFUL shepherd! I’ve had shepherds, etc etc”. She was very complimented. Haaha
Anyways, about 2 miles in I told him we should turn back or we wouldnt make it before dark. He said, "The tree line's right there." I believed him. A half hour later, we still hadn't reached the tree line, I told him we had to go back. He still would have gone on. But I turned to start back and he followed. It was just above freezing, in a tshirt, we neither had flashlights. I didnt realize how far we'd come. As the sun plummited behind the trees. I let Rylie pick the path. The hikers earlier had also had dogs, and she started to follow along something. I swear it was like she was smelling the trail out. The trail was hard to find in the LIGHT, and it was nearly impossible. My “friend” started leading the way. I figured any second he would lose the trail. NEARLY PITCH BLACK. Rylie guided me around MULTIPLE boulders I would have broken my ankle on several times. I kept tripping over tree roots. Ry kept looking back at me like, “You okay? I’m here. I’m not leaving you.“ I was shaking. This area is also known as the BEST place in the area to sight black bears. And its dark. And we still had a mile to go. My hands were numb, and he was whining about a rock in his shoe. I made him keeep going. That that point it was too dark to see. He had a camera, with a flash, I told him, “Use the flash on your camera. It will illuminate things for a second at least.” He did once and then was like, “No. Our eyes will get used to it.” I started praying.
Finally. as the last ray of red slipped under the horizon, we emerged from the forest. I knew we would be okay now. I haven't been so scared in a long time.
Now..I know never to go hiking in the afternoon again. Especially with an idiot.
He plans on getting a season pass and thinks we're going snowboarding together this winter. He has another think coming. PLEASE TELL ME what we did was NOT considered a date? I REALLY feel like the carrie underwood song now. The more boys I meet..The MORE I LOVE MY GSD! I SWEAR SHE IS THE REASON I DID NOT FALL AND BREAK MY ANKLE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PINE FOREST! Just thought I'd share that dog story with you all. Never leave home without one!

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
When my little brother was about eleven we took Princess (GSD/hound mix) out in the woods behind the high school. I was about 17.

I got him lost.

Princess was USELESS! I told her, Home, let's go home. She wagged her tail and plunged deeper into the brush. She was NOT going in the right direction, I could tell by where the sun was.

It was afternoon, and my brother finally sat down and said he was not going any farther until they come and find us. I laughed and told him that they do not even know we are gone, and they certainly do not know where we went. I then pointed at the sun, and told him, if it goes down, we will be in here all night.

He got up and followed me.

46 runs North and South. We were definitely west of it, as we had not crossed over it. So all we had to do was head East, which we could tell by where the sun was. We came out on somebody's farm well south of town. We went over their fields till we hit the highway, and got home. Princess was lame a few days afterwards.

I hope I taught my brother a thing or two about being lost in the woods. Not sure if it every would have helped him. But stuff's good to know.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yay for Ry! But also let this be a lesson to you to trust your own gut and speak up for yourself. Way too many young women get into really bad situations because they feel obligated to be niiiice (I suggest an amazing book called, "The Gift of Fear." I'm not saying be mean, but if you don't like a guy or don't want to be around him or don't trust his opinion about something, really, just say no thanks. It isn't worth getting yourself into a bad predicament.

You don't need an excuse to have your own feelings and opinions, likes and dislikes! Glad you made it out safe!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Great to learn a lesson without paying too high a price. My GSD is very reliable find her way back to the car also.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Glad everything turned out OK. I think it's OK to go hiking in the afternoon, just always remember to be prepared. Even on short hikes where I know the trail I bring a map, a compass, snacks that would get me through at least 24 hours, and enough layers that I could experience a significant temperature change in either direction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad everything turned out OK. I think it's OK to go hiking in the afternoon, just always remember to be prepared. Even on short hikes where I know the trail I bring a map, a compass, snacks that would get me through at least 24 hours, and enough layers that I could experience a significant temperature change in either direction.
Truth. I have my little go bag with a flashlight, lighter/matches, parachute cord, couple bottles of water and snacks. I usually have my knife on me too.

Glad you had your pup with ya and things didn't end up worse. Not very gentlemanly of him to put you guys in danger like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest an amazing book called, "The Gift of Fear." I'm not saying be mean, but if you don't like a guy or don't want to be around him or don't trust his opinion about something, really, just say no thanks. It isn't worth getting yourself into a bad predicament
I'm going to get that book. Seriously. Amazon.com here I come. lol
And I've known him and his family since I was a little kid, but we'd kinda fallen out of contact th elast couple years and just got back in touch. I know his family, and I've hung out with him before at public events, so I knew him well enough to know he was a nice guy and wouldnt try to hurt me, but I have some very deep rooted trust issues when it comes to men, and dont trust them at all. But I do trust my dog :) So she got to come along. I just knew the hike would suck..and shoulda followed my gut.
Truth. I have my little go bag with a flashlight, lighter/matches, parachute cord, couple bottles of water and snacks. I usually have my knife on me too.

Glad you had your pup with ya and things didn't end up worse. Not very gentlemanly of him to put you guys in danger like that.
That is the best way to go. I had my bag with water for me and Rylie in it, but didnt have a flashlight matches or a jacket. THat would have been smart. And I shoulda brought my knife. Next time I will. And next time I go hiking, it will just be me and Rylie the wonder dog, and no idiot guy. If he ever asks me to do anything again I'm just gonna tell him my dog still needs a lung transplant after last time, so we cant. hahahaha
And has anyone noticed the endurance on a GSD? I used to have Siberian Huskies, and sled dog raced (a lot of fun but a huge deal of work and they eat livestock), and when i would take them hiking the first mile they were all "GO GO GO" and then let up a little while later...Like sprinters but not much endurance. Rylie on the other hand doesn't pull my arm out of socket at the start, but she has endurancea nd still can keep a good pace after a several mile uphill hike. Besides...She seemed ot enjoy squirrel stalking and watching a mule deer crash through the brush 10 feet in front of us :)
I just don't know what I would have done without her :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Don't shoot all of manhood down just because your friend is a dweeb ! ;)

Just sayin ...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't know, I think Bianca might be more likely to 'guide' me after a deer's trail or something.

I have most of that stuff in Bianca's pack if we go hiking. I'm trying for a backpacking title and she has to carry: first aid kit, water, bowl, spare collar and leash, matches, knife, at least three baggies (for clean-up), compass, flashlight, owner's I.D. , a signal device (mirror, whistle or cell phone) and map of the area (if needed).

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is the best way to go. I had my bag with water for me and Rylie in it, but didnt have a flashlight matches or a jacket. THat would have been smart. And I shoulda brought my knife. Next time I will. And next time I go hiking, it will just be me and Rylie the wonder dog, and no idiot guy. If he ever asks me to do anything again I'm just gonna tell him my dog still needs a lung transplant after last time, so we cant. hahahaha
And has anyone noticed the endurance on a GSD? I used to have Siberian Huskies, and sled dog raced (a lot of fun but a huge deal of work and they eat livestock), and when i would take them hiking the first mile they were all "GO GO GO" and then let up a little while later...Like sprinters but not much endurance. Rylie on the other hand doesn't pull my arm out of socket at the start, but she has endurancea nd still can keep a good pace after a several mile uphill hike. Besides...She seemed ot enjoy squirrel stalking and watching a mule deer crash through the brush 10 feet in front of us :)
I just don't know what I would have done without her :)
I usually run about 1.5 miles around my neighborhood and I started to take Ruger with me, for about a month now. He'll only last half a lap around which is about 3/4 mile then wants to stop and hang out for a min so I'll just walk then I'll sprint the last 1/4 mile before the house with him. I'll let go of the leash the last 200ft or so if no ones out and he'll bolt for the door or into the garage if i leave it open.
I have most of that stuff in Bianca's pack if we go hiking. I'm trying for a backpacking title and she has to carry: first aid kit, water, bowl, spare collar and leash, matches, knife, at least three baggies (for clean-up), compass, flashlight, owner's I.D. , a signal device (mirror, whistle or cell phone) and map of the area (if needed).
I had no idea what you meant by backpacking title so I had to look it up. haha. Looks pretty cool, I haven't gone camping or hiking with the pup yet (no time), but looks pretty neat. Good luck to you and Bianca on the title.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
What an awesome story.

When I'm in a crowded dog show, I tell Balto, "Let's go outside." and he drags me to the door. I'll never be lost in a crowded dog show. LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts