German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two times I've taken Misha to the dog park I've gotten the same question.
"Is there something wrong with your dogs back legs?"

Now Misha is just over five months old and has that GSD gait and lower back end, so I guess what I'm wondering is are dog people unfamiliar with how a GSD is supposed to look or move?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The last two times I've taken Misha to the dog park I've gotten the same question.

Now Misha is just over five months old and has that GSD gait and lower back end, so I guess what I'm wondering is are dog people unfamiliar with how a GSD is supposed to look or move?

Sorry in my opinion even a GSD should not have the gait and lower back end that some of the extreme showlines produce... it looks freakish and unnatural. That is NOT how the GSD is SUPPOSED to be the working line GSD with the straight back is how a GSD is suppose to gait and look in the back end, the Kennel clubs made these freakish standards that are so far off from what the original GSD was bred to look like/gait.

Sorry to all those Show line GSD lovers out there but that is JMHO!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I got that all the time from the Border Collie people I was surrounded by when we were herding.
Sheilah

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry in my opinion even a GSD should not have the gait and lower back end that some of the extreme showlines produce... it looks freakish and unnatural. That is NOT how the GSD is SUPPOSED to be the working line GSD with the straight back is how a GSD is suppose to gait and look in the back end, the Kennel clubs made these freakish standards that are so far off from what the original GSD was bred to look like/gait.

She doesnt have that extreme show dog look and comes from an amazing Schutzhund import line, not show lineage.

Forgive my ignorance, it's always seemed to me that GSD's have an elegant saunter about them that other breeds do not.

??

·
Registered
482 Posts

I personally agree. I had never seen/heard of any GSD with the sloped down back until I joined this forum, learned about the different lines and started looking at some videos. It doesn't look right to me. If I were to see one in person prior to being on this site, I would definitely have thought there was something wrong with the dog's hind legs.

Mia's back is straight and I've never noticed anything particularly different about the way she walked.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts

What kennel clubs changed the standard? I'm pretty sure all the standards are the same...its the interpretation that is different.

Usually interpreted by the judge...who although is certified or whatever through a kennel club, usually has their own opinions about the breed and the standard which they will value over others.

Although I don't like what we would consider the ASL AKC dog...they sometimes have a more exaggerated back end when they're growing. Since your dog is 5 months old, her proportions could be off and she's moving weirder than normal.

I have a WL dog with a straighter back and more regular dog/upright stance. You can't imagine how many people are now in the "know" and have come up to me to praise me for the fact that his back end looks normal. They go into how the other dogs look handicapped and their hips are garbage...blah blah blah. I usually take the time to explain to them that it has nothing to do with the hips and all about the angulation in the leg joints.

There has been a recent "return" to a more normal dog...many breeders just went too far with the angulation.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
What kennel clubs changed the standard? I'm pretty sure all the standards are the same...its the interpretation that is different.

Usually interpreted by the judge...who although is certified or whatever through a kennel club, usually has their own opinions about the breed and the standard which they will value over others.

Although I don't like what we would consider the ASL AKC dog...they sometimes have a more exaggerated back end when they're growing. Since your dog is 5 months old, her proportions could be off and she's moving weirder than normal.

I have a WL dog with a straighter back and more regular dog/upright stance. You can't imagine how many people are now in the "know" and have come up to me to praise me for the fact that his back end looks normal. They go into how the other dogs look handicapped and their hips are garbage...blah blah blah. I usually take the time to explain to them that it has nothing to do with the hips and all about the angulation in the leg joints.

There has been a recent "return" to a more normal dog...many breeders just went too far with the angulation.

Show me one GSD that has one Best of Breed or Best in show that has a straight back... its not even just based on a judges interpretation, that is how a SL GSD is suppose to look like I dont think I have ever seen a WL GSD with a straight back and little to no slope in the back end in shows.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Show me one GSD that has one Best of Breed or Best in show that has a straight back... its not even just based on a judges interpretation, that is how a SL GSD is suppose to look like I dont think I have ever seen a WL GSD with a straight back and little to no slope in the back end in shows.
You claimed the written standard was changed by the kennel clubs...I'd like to know which kennel clubs and what exactly they changed.

And for what its worth their backs are STRAIGHT...they're just not PARALLEL to the ground. This is the biggest thing that people find confusing...a straight line can be straight in any direction...but you guys always confuse straight with parallel to the ground...two different things. And no where in the standard is anything mentioned about the back being parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Z is 5 month and still runs all puppy/funny so we gets looks all the time and people ask all the time.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
How a GSD is "supposed" to move is a matter of how the standards are interpreted and there is a great deal of contention within the breed as to what that means. I think all the standards would agree that efficiency is paramount but how they determine that in a show competition is highly variable.

At 5 months she is probably at an awkward gangly puppy stage anyway.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Rather than turn this into a straight/sloped back argument, which everyone can (and has) go around in circles on forever.... how about the OP just post a pic of her dog? Side profile?

I got those comments too when Echo was all gangly and growing around that age. GSD's can look like their hocks are more pronounced than other breeds because of their natural stance (a lot of GSD's will sort of "stack" naturally), but when they're standing up straight it's not as apparent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rather than turn this into a straight/sloped back argument, which everyone can (and has) go around in circles on forever.... how about the OP just post a pic of her dog? Side profile?

I got those comments too when Echo was all gangly and growing around that age. GSD's can look like their hocks are more pronounced than other breeds because of their natural stance (a lot of GSD's will sort of "stack" naturally), but when they're standing up straight it's not as apparent.
LoveEcho, I'll take a photo of Misha tonight for that purpose.

Scott

LOL
sorry, I'm a Him not a her.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
There are variances of degrees in angulation in the ring, some more extreme than others. Stacking the dog gives the appearance of the slope, many of which are 'straight' when not stacked. People look at showline stacked pictures and think that is how the dog 'is'. It's a presentation (pic).

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

I agree, surprisingly, when i was at the last DKC show, had Max there representing T.D.INC, a lot of people stopped by and commented on "now thats what a GSD should look like" referring to his straight back

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
LoveEcho, I'll take a photo of Misha tonight for that purpose.

Scott

LOL
sorry, I'm a Him not a her.
:rofl: sorry!!! I don't know why I'm always assuming posters are women... I think a lot of male posters assume other posters are men, too. :blush:

In any case, I wouldn't worry! There is nothing stranger looking (or cuter) than a leggy, bat-eared awkward GSD puppy.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My dog Cubby is not a "chick magnet." At least not yet, lol.

Some questions still haven't been asked of me about my GSD on walks. :p

·
Registered
624 Posts

More seriously, my dog has a straight back - when she lowers herself to the ground at a trot one can see she's the picture of perfect health - and she looks glam too upright when she walks fast when really excited! :)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
What's more important for me is WHO is making that comment rather than what it is. If its someone I meet at a dog park, that doesn't know anything about the GSD breed or what a conformation show is...why does their opinion matter? If its someone that has been involved in the breed, showed, trialed, seen hundreds of dogs, then I can see how its at least worth something.

But the one thing that really gets me is this "straight back (parallel) back = healthy hips/dog" thing. What does one have to do with the other? You all realize that the hip could be lower than the withers and the angle of the leg into the socket could be more extreme...but it has nothing to do with HD. HD is how the bone fits into the socket...something no one can see with the naked eye.

It's kind of like seeing a normal sized lab and telling the owner its too skinny...just because you're used to seeing one thing doesn't mean its correct.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts