German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a dog attack fatality in our area recently. I am thinking that, as good as dogs have it today, it is strange that there are so many mental/psychological/behavior issues that were simply unheard of thirty years ago. For instance, when I was a child, I don’t remember everyone worrying about dog on dog aggression issues. And dog bites were fairly common, usually when a dog was hurt or cornered and afraid, but out and out attacks seldom happened. So, is it something we’re doing? Don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled that dogs are mostly house pets now and I’m glad that chains are well on their way to being a thing of the past and that maybe in the near future, animal abusers will actually be punished for their crimes. But maybe we as a culture have gone overboard treating our dogs like children (myself included; I struggle with this all the time). I mean, we dress our dogs in clothes. I know several who have a bedroom of their own. We take them to parks designed especially for them and buy treats for their birthday parties at special doggy bakeries. I’m not being judgmental; I’ve done all these (except the bedroom, our house isn’t big enough). Then we are amazed when the dog gets jealous of other “children” and lashes out in the only way a dog knows. Does it seem like maybe we are creating dogs who are just children with identity crises? I am just rambling and it may come forth that the accused dog in this case was deliberately made mean or had something wrong with it, etc. But I do sometimes wonder about the long-term consequences of treating dogs as if they were children. I am interested in learning things you successful dog owners do to give your dog a quality life while still respecting him/her as a dog.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I'm sure I'll get TONS of flack for this, but I think to many people now a days want to "save" dogs that would have been put down years ago due to aggression and issues that they seem to have now.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not for just randomly putting down a dog, and I believe people really need to learn to get some dog sense, but I do believe that many people now a days tend to take a more.."save it no matter what" stance that we didn't see 20, 30 years ago.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm sure I'll get TONS of flack for this, but I think to many people now a days want to "save" dogs that would have been put down years ago due to aggression and issues that they seem to have now.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not for just randomly putting down a dog, and I believe people really need to learn to get some dog sense, but I do believe that many people now a days tend to take a more.."save it no matter what" stance that we didn't see 20, 30 years ago.
I actually think you make a great point.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Yep, I agree with that, too.

I also think the media plays a big role in this. 30 years ago we only heard about local stuff, now a fatality or serious bite makes national news (especially if it's a "dangerous" breed).

·
Registered
5,616 Posts

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

·
Registered
31,895 Posts
Yes and no. I have never heard of a headline where it says, dog often dressed in a tu tu murdered her owner's two-year-old.

I think we can be over the top with a lot of things, and saving dogs who have seriously painful issues that require major surgeries, regardless of the possible outcomes, as well as saving every dog with temperament problems, whether or not we have the skill, experience, and resources to properly manage such a dog.

I don't know that throwing birthday parties for dogs, or examining 5 different grooming salons before allowing Little Lord Fauntleroy to stay at one for a few hours is likely to create an evil child killing canine.

Is it the mindset. The way we train with all positive methods? Or is it more a general degredation of temperament across the board. And those dogs that are trained, either old school, or with positive methods, and less likely to fail. However, those trained opposite to the dog's make-up, may be more likely to fail.

And perhaps these days where the general level of temperament is, along with the general lack of understanding of normal vs. abnormal dog-behavior, dogs with no training/socialization, or dogs with bad training/socialization, may be that much more likely to suffer an epic fail.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

I think this is a very valuable stance, and something I hadn't thought of before.

·
Banned
377 Posts
I grew up in the 40s and 50s and there were plenty of mean dogs around. Sometimes packs of them. I remember one time 5 dogs came into my yard and tried to take on my dog. She was a colle/shepherd/husky and sent them all off bleeding. There were no leash laws and you never knew if the dog coming down the street was one to be avoided or not.
These days, dogs are better socialized and controlled ... kept in houses with families and kept on leash in public. JMHO

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think a lot of also comes from breeding. There are so many mixed breeds and even "pure" breeds that a just being bred (breed?? brain no work at 10 after a long day of work) for the money and don't care what type of temperament the dogs / offspring have. And so many people won't spend the money or do their research to find a good breeding program. With the last statement being said I did make the mistake of getting a dog with a messed up past but I always knew I was in or a lot of work to get him social and be a well adjusted member of the human and canine community.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah that 60's thread did a good job covering this type of stuff.

The fact is, now there is a disease for everything, or at least every "issue" has a name and some expert out there on how to fix it. Back then, it was just an aggressive dog. If a dog bit for no good reason, or bit its owner, it was probably off to the farm. Today, we get threads on this forum of a dog that's bitten 3, 4, 5 times and the people are still looking for an answer. Instead of putting the dog out of its misery and focusing the effort/resources on another one that needs a home or our help, we have to help THAT dog...and if you even mention that one of the things you're thinking about is PTS...you'll get at least 25% of people that call you a monster and not deserving to own another animal.

Facebook, twitter, all that crap doesn't help either. We'll hear about the smallest of bites, written in the most biased ways, just because 300 people decided to share a story from some unnamed, non-credible, source. Back then, geez even back 10 years ago, I don't remember hearing about half the stuff I do now. I had the local news, but small little dog things in California, or New York, or Florida, would never make the news in Illinois.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Facebook, twitter, all that crap doesn't help either. We'll hear about the smallest of bites, written in the most biased ways, just because 300 people decided to share a story from some unnamed, non-credible, source. Back then, geez even back 10 years ago, I don't remember hearing about half the stuff I do now. I had the local news, but small little dog things in California, or New York, or Florida, would never make the news in Illinois.
I think you hit on the head: social media and the internet. I don't think its more prevalent now, it's just easier to hear about it.

Also, unfortunately, it's what people pay attention to when watching the local news. The media has grasped this and run with every "bite" story they can get their hands on. Especially if it involves a "dangerous" breed. It's all about the ratings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts