German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Rosie 01/04/2021 GSDxHuskyxAkita
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a roll with questions lately... I'm finding that this is how it goes with a pup!

For the past week, I've been wondering if Rosie might be approaching her first heat (she'll be 7 months 4 August) due to a few factors including but not limited to soft whining in abnormal situations, self separating into the living room crate, less energy or more mellow than usual, and considerably more licking of her genital area than at any time since we have lived together. On top of this, I'm not sure exactly what "blowing her coat" would look like but she is shedding profusely. Her drive for the food puzzle has slowed, she'll leave half in there for a few hours before getting back to it. She's always been a dog to sleep in, but she's been having no issues lounging on her bed until 930AM. She doesn't seem to have a higher than usual temperature, the climate is typical and cool. Defecation is solid and regular.

After hearing her whine from the other room, I came out and saw her slowly and gently licking her genitals (vulva?). I took a look and snapped a couple pics. She did not try to stop me from putting my hands in that area. It appear possibly puffy, but I'll admit I've never really looked, and it is red and appears to have slight liquid discharge, almost looking like an ingrown hair or popped pimple. It doesn't not appear to be painful for her the way an ingrown hair would most likely be.

Any idea what, if anything is going on? If this is the onset of her first heat, is there anything my wife and I can do to make her more comfortable? thank you.

Eyelash Beard Liver Whiskers Fawn

Eye Liver Iris Wood Whiskers

Whiskers Felidae Natural material Fawn Liver

Brown Natural material Whiskers Fawn Felidae

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,541 Posts
Honestly I don’t ever physically check to see what’s going on. I just start counting the days when I see the first drop of blood on the floor. If I suspect one of them has gone in heat, I’ll do a swipe with a tissue. That’s helpful when you have a girl that isn’t very messy.

My young dog Nora just went into heat about a week ago. She’s a little bit off her food, and sleepier than usual. I found her earlier in my bedroom on the dog cot by herself, in the dark.

Reactions: car2ner and Gwyllgi

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Honestly I don’t ever physically check to see what’s going on. I just start counting the days when I see the first drop of blood on the floor. If I suspect one of them has gone in heat, I’ll do a swipe with a tissue. That’s helpful when you have a girl that isn’t very messy.

My young dog Nora just went into heat about a week ago. She’s a little bit off her food, and sleepier than usual. I found her earlier in my bedroom on the dog cot by herself, in the dark.
right on! Just did a swipe with a tissue and there's some fluid, yellow/white almost, but fluid. good tip. thank you.

now that I'm reading more and thinking about it more, I'm noticing that her urethra is pink and visible. She is showing no signs of a UTI though, so I don't know...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like vaginitis to me…
A mild case. Not uncommon in puppies.
interesting. I'm going to have to read more about vaginitis and possibly call the vet.

In your opinion/experience, other than thick yellow discharge and excessive licking, is there anything else I might notice other than what I wrote above? thank you

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
852 Posts
Sounds a lot like vaginitis. Fern had issues like this. After her first and maybe second heat, she should physically mature and have no issues. Fern was most likely spayed before her first heat, she has an immature vulva. To keep vaginitis at bay, I gently wipe the area with a baby wipe after Fern pees. It has been very helpful for her.

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,504 Posts
A female's vulva will swell noticeably just before her heat begins. Keep your eyes open for that first drop of blood. I have had one of my females go into heat at 7 months, though that is pretty early.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all for you insight.

my wife called the vet today while I was on the road- Rosie wouldn't have done well going from 55*F to 106*F temp without an AC in the car- and the vet tech wasn't concerned, said to check/wipe/pat with a damp paper towel and keep an eye on it. The vet will review our notes/pic and call tomorrow if she thinks it is necessary.

·
Registered
Athena, GSD, dob 5/2021
294 Posts
This does indeed sound like puppy vaginitis. Thena had identical symptoms at 5-6 months. Heads up: the smell attracted everything from the neighbor's neutered dog to a coyote. She actually attracted more males with the vaginitis than she did with her first heat cycle, which is now finally concluding. We have not spayed her yet, but will in October or November before her next cycle. As Hopps mentioned, our vet stated that vaginitis usually resolves spontaneously after the first heat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it's actually starting to look more like heat! She was back to herself with energy levels yesterday and the day before, and today she's again super mellow and the wet paper towel blotted pink this morning. may well be vaginitis but we're going to keep keeping an eye!

·
Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,086 Posts
Ilita went into heat at 7 months and 1 week. We were told the defiinitive sign would be the swollen vulva. There we were wondering if we would recognize it as swollen. But the first spot of blood appeared and when she happened to roll over on her back that day, it was VERY obvious. So even if you don't know what "normal" is, "abby-normal" should be easy to spot.

Her discharge was definitely pink to red and watery. Not mucusy and yellow/green. We escaped any signs of vaginitis.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think in describing her symptoms in the first post, I mentioned the "ingrown hair or pimple" looking area and I think that it was her urethra and nothing else. there's some more red liquid and there has been no mucous or green stuff, just one wipe of yellowish fluid. the vet also said it might be something like a false heat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, we did go to the vet face to face, rather than just the sharing of photos... $80 bucks later it was inconclusive and I was told to keep an eye out for blood in urine as vaginitis was ruled out and it didn't appear to be a visible heat. If any discharge persisted in a couple week, we could have a urine sample tested for bladder infection.

Well, didn't need to look for subtle discharge because this morning Rosie started bleeding. Not much, but my wife caught a big dollop on the porch.

Now, I wonder if this may be a reason she's been glued to my wife the past few days. She generally been "my" dog, but these past few days and especially today, its like I'm not even here!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just wanted to add that I really like the word (p)update. So cute!
There's an SNL feature called Weekend Update. When we bring Rosie to play with our friends dog, PegLeg, we call it the Weekend Pupdate . here she is under the tree that's an endless source of pitch in her ear fur...
Plant Dog Virginia opossum Dog breed Carnivore

1 - 18 of 18 Posts