German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you handle it?

I received a message on facebook this morning. Someone locally had seen my post of a picture of Sage (charity dog show coming up) and then they looked at my profile and saw my only public info 200 pictures of Sage.
She emailed me and said she could tell I take really good care of my dog and she asked me to take her dog. She is moving in a month and can't take the dog with her. She didn't know what to do because her GSD had behavioral issues and she knew he would be PTS if she took him to a shelter. She said she was afraid to put an ad out because she had no way to screen people.

As much as I would love to have another dog I don't have the funds or time right now, especially for one that needs a lot of work. I messaged her back and apologized for not being able to take the dog but I gave her contact info for all the GSD rescues in IL and some in MO and IN. I said maybe they could give her info on how to screen homes or they could place the dog if she could keep it until they find a home. I also suggested getting into training ASAP to help her dog get over its issues so it would have a better chance of finding a home.

I just got an email back saying that none of the rescues would help and she couldn't afford a trainer. Then she attacked me for spoiling my dog while her dog is now going to die since I'm choosing not to help.
I don't think I'll be responding back. Now I'm upset and feel bad for spoiling Sage when there are so many dogs being PTS and in shelters.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Don't feel bad for taking care of your dog the way you see fit. No one made this woman buy a dog or move to a place she can't take him- thats her poor planning and if she really cared for her dog she would have made an effort to train the dog on her own in the first place. I can't afford a trainer or a fancy dog club, but both my dogs are well trained in basic obedience and are well behaved happy animals. She created her own disaster don't let her make you feel bad.

·
2,967 Posts
I just got an email back saying that none of the rescues would help and she couldn't afford a trainer. Then she attacked me for spoiling my dog while her dog is now going to die since I'm choosing not to help.
WOW. There's a word for this...but it's insulting to female canines.

What an awful thing to say to someone. And I'm sorry you have to feel bad, but there's only so much we can do and part of being a responsible dog owner is about knowing when you have enough on your plate. Her dog might die because of her actions-not yours.

Usually I do the same thing you did. I direct to rescue groups, might take some info and pass it around to rescue contacts or GSD people that I know...and hope for the best. But ultimately it's not my responsibility.

I hate the people who move and can't take their dog. It's just so ridiculous to me. We have moved at least every 2 years since we got our first dog and we have ALWAYS found places that will accept the dogs. If I can find a rental that lets me have 5 GSDs...you can find a place for one. I'm not saying it will be easy, but it can usually be done. That's part of the responsibility you took on when you got the dog for Pete's sake.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would not feel bad for you being a responsible dog owner! I wish I could take in and save every animal in the world... literally, but I know that is not possible! You assessing the situation and knowing that you are unable to properly take care of that dog is far more responsible then taking it in and risking a bad situation. You did what you could and I find it hard to believe that no rescues in three states would help her.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I guess I was just caught off guard. Didn't expect to get attacked for trying to help. I thought maybe the response was just emotional out of concern for her dogs future, but now that I'm thinking more clearly I know that if she were really worried about her dog she would have done more.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
but now that I'm thinking more clearly I know that if she were really worried about her dog she would have done more.
BINGO!!

And I agree with everyone else - I know that you really wanted to help, buth this woman has to first make the effort to help herself - what a copout to blame a stranger for the fate of her dog, when really it is all within her power to make decisions and take steps that will enable her to keep her dog with her.

I also have moved often, finding rentals when I had a dog - mind you, not a GSD, but it was still VERY hard to rent with a dog. It took about 10X more effort to find a rental when you have a dog, but not putting in the effort would not even occur to me!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If she cares for her dog very much she would have done whatever she could to help her dog.

Obviously she doesn't. She had no reason to be mad at you. You shouldn't feel guilty for spoiling Sage.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Brandi..I replied on the other board but I'll post this here also..

How do you know the person truly has a dog?????

Maybe she does. Maybe she is just an ass like she sounds.

Or maybe this is a person trying to intimidate you into meeting them, letting them into your home, to do something bad.

How many times do we here of such things happening? It's not that farfetched.

Walk away. Her problem is not yours. Do not allow her to make it so.

I might even go so far as to contact the police to see if anything similar has happened in your area recently.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad. You're taking care of Sage. It's not your fault this woman is clearly just not fit to own a dog, especially a shepherd. I agree that it was terrible planning. Ignore her.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Yeah, the latest was a 100lb rottie male... Because I took a puppy from them before and foster it.

You didn't do or say anything wrong. She is. Why the heck is she rehoming her dog due to a move, by the way? I can promise you I'd live in a the dingiest motel before I gave my dogs up...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Did I read this post right?

A total stranger tries to guilt-trip another total stranger into taking a dog off her hands? And gets bent out of shape when it doesn't work?

Sagelfn, you are obviously a caring, concerned individual. But that other person, well...how many vowels in the phrase "sociopathic manipulator?"

Please, do not ever respond to this person's posts again. If you tell her five times that you don't want to talk to her, you have talked to her five times. This will keep her going and going and going.

Not responding, however, will tell that person that her life strategy hasn't worked, and then she will move onto another potential victim.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
This woman is clearly a loony toon froot booty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts