Registered
19,157 Posts
yes Panda shepherds are PB shepherds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Omg that is awesome!!!
So are these super rare? Has anyone on here got one?
I have never ever seen or heard of a shepherd like that but I absolutely love it
It is so good looking, I'm literally in shock over here.
So from what I read on the link, they are accidental ? Can't be bred purposly as it don't affect all pups?
GORGEOUS!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Supposedly (and I say this because I can't remember where I read it so I can't provide documents/websites) its a mutant gene that showed up in one line of breeding and the offspring carries the gene and passes it on with some of their pups being normal colors and some piebald.

Its only been in that one line and there was a big hoop-ra that something snuck in but the pups were DNA tested and were 100% GSD.

Or something like that-off to find all the web links and docs about it. I remember it being really interesting.

Edit to add:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/108544-panda-gsd.html
http://www.pandashepherds.com/frankie
http://www.pandashepherds.com/the_panda_standard_illustrated (are these illustrations good for learning general GSD conformation? I really like them and need to learn correct confo)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't think the panda coloration is detrimental to the breed. If you don't like it, don't breed to a "panda" colored dog.

Phenom Shepherds - The Panda Standard (are these illustrations good for learning general GSD conformation? I really like them and need to learn correct confo)
Yes I believe those are Linda Shaw's illustrations, just altered.

Here are a few other sites with more info:
THE ILLUSTRATED STANDARD OF THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
Movement of the Working Dog
https://www.gsdca.org/images/pdf_items/judges_seminar_booklet_0408.pdf

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Anything out of standard and bred to as nothing more than a fad and cool coloring is detrimental to a working breed!

Max von stephanitz would be turning in his grave

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the UKC allows pandas to be shown in the conformation ring, as their noses are still black and they don't dock white dogs.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it is co-dominant.

And it is panda, not piebald. I emphasize that, because there is a highly unethical breeder (at least in my opinion) breeding dogs that she calls piebalds, and they are not pandas.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Anything out of standard and bred to as nothing more than a fad and cool coloring is detrimental to a working breed!

Max von stephanitz would be turning in his grave

"No good dog can be a bad color."
-Max von Stephanitz

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
"No good dog can be a bad color."
-Max von Stephanitz
I meant breeding a dog for a fad. Find me a few good breeders that produce pandas. The color alone is not necessarily the problem. If they had solid working nerves so be it. But they dont. Everyone wants one "because they're pretty". Thats even the reasoning that drove the OP to be so intrigued.THAT is what ruins a breed

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
" I have...for a long time uttered warnings against keeping our shepherd dogs in kennels, and against a onesided breeding for beauty as opposed to efficiency. The shepherd dog is a working dog, he was born so, and only as such can he remain a "shepherd dog"; the dog which we value and love.*"

" but this competition reaches its high-water mark in the show ring, which, just because they demand no real capabilities, ...lead people only too easily astray to lay emphasis entirely on external shape and beauty, instead of on the substance which really matters."

" The coloring of the dog has no significance whatever for service; our shepherd dog accordingly is not bred for color. Coloring therefore is only a fad of the amateur and as such is often liable to changes of whim."

-Max von Stephanitz

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
" I have...for a long time uttered warnings against keeping our shepherd dogs in kennels, and against a onesided breeding for beauty as opposed to efficiency. The shepherd dog is a working dog, he was born so, and only as such can he remain a "shepherd dog"; the dog which we value and love.*"

" but this competition reaches its high-water mark in the show ring, which, just because they demand no real capabilities, ...lead people only too easily astray to lay emphasis entirely on external shape and beauty, instead of on the substance which really matters."

" The coloring of the dog has no significance whatever for service; our shepherd dog accordingly is not bred for color. Coloring therefore is only a fad of the amateur and as such is often liable to changes of whim."

-Max von Stephanitz

Wow.
If only people listened to him.

·
Banned
363 Posts

-Max von Stephanitz

:thumbup:

Color is a fad. It goes in cycles. At one point classic black and tans will be popular, then it'll move to heavy blankets, to bi's, blacks and sables, sometimes white will be thrown in there and there's always those who breed for the "rarity" of the pattern or color and throw out blues, livers, and whites for a higher price, with no purpose other than they are deemed "rare".

The important thing to remember is the GSD is a working dog and should be bred to do that. Structure and overall health should come first, before anything else, including color/pattern/coat type. I love the look of a good conformation show dog, but I'm afraid it would fail miserably to perform in the real world of a working German Shepherd Dog. Looks don't mean a lot when you've got a job to do.

Now, if you raise AKC dogs (or dogs for any registry), it's important to remember the registry's breed standard. For example, if you're truly breeding AKC dogs, for the right reasons, then you should try to stick to that AKC standard as much as possible... which means not purposely breeding for dogs that are not acceptable, which would include dogs such as blues, livers, whites and pandas.

(Of course, this all is just my opinion.)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts