German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am tired...since I got Penny on Christmas day I have only had 3 nights that Penny has slept all through the night. She gets up at least once a night and I cant just let her out the door to go to the bathroom she HAS to go for a walk because she wont go to the bathroom on the property, then I need to run her in the backyard at ungodly hours (anywhere between midnight and 3am) with her flirtpole for a good 15 - 20 mins so that she will go back to sleep so that I can sleep and then she wakes up again at between 5 - 6am every morning ready to go again! (And I do take her out before I go to bed to run her for a half hour and then take her for a walk to do her business) If I dont do the flirtpole after her bathroom walk she will howl and scream and cry and wake everyone up until I take her back out to play because I have told my family to try to ignore it while I put her in her crate to let her get it out of her system to teach her night time is for sleeping not for playing but she went on for over an hour and a half when I tried that and no one was very happy with me, the only reason she stopped was because I took her out to play because she woke my nephew.

Im having a hard time working (I work from home right now but might be going back to the office soon should I have to move back to Ontario) because Penny does this horrific howl/scream/cry/whine act and wont cut it out until I take her out during the day, I cant work upstairs because my nephew (14 months) is loud and my sister has stuff going and its too nosy for me to be speaking to clients on the phone and even if they are not home Penny is still so loud you can hear her all throughout the house no matter where you are.

She gets in these moods where if I dont take her out and put her on her leash and tether her to me she will chew whatever her mouth can get ,normally the couch or my computer chair/desk and I now also have a few chunks missing out of my drywall because she started to chew the wall and in my bathroom she has started to rip the wallpaper off! I put her in her crate she she screams

I've done all I can with her, she has been so difficult to train and half the time she will ignore me (yes she does know the commands because he was doing them and she still does them when she feels like it when there is something in it for her)... I love my dog to death but Im so exhausted, Im suppose to enjoy living with my dog, and dont get me wrong there are times when I truely enjoy having her,like when we are out for walks or going to festivities and she is so friendly with people and other dogs and listens really well.. that I enjoy but her antics have put a huge damper on things. I just dont know what to do, my mom had a muzzle for her dogs and I tried it on Penny and she would howl and carry on even with that on so it didnt do much Ive tried getting her to work when she gets like that try to give her commands in a calm manner but she refused she then starts the chewing.

Please I really need some advice, I know I have a lot of threads on here but this dog has NOT been a dream, infact she has been a nightmare for a lot of things...I just want to enjoy having my dog and not enjoy the few things that we do. :(

Also I think it has a lot to do with the age she was brought home at my parents and I were told 6.5 weeks but I honestly think she was younger I have added a photo of the day she came home (Christmas... she was a gift from my family I had no choice in this matter) Im thinking she was probably 5 weeks... I dont know if this has anything to do with it but perhaps? (What age do you think she was)

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
start crate training again. if she has to go out in the middle of
the night take her and bring her back in and crate her. teach her to
go on your property so you have to walk in the middle of the night.
don't play with flirt pole in the middle of the night. sounds like you're
letting your dog dictate what she's going to do and when.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Sad to say, but she is teaching you very well, on her terms, not yours. She is also still a puppy and acts like one. If she was 5 or 6 weeks old at Christmas, she was probably born in November, so that puts her a t8 months. She is well past the time of needing to get up at night, she has taught you to LET her up at night and get out of the crate to play.
She has learned that howling and screaming in her crate will get her what she wants: go outside, play with the flirt pole, or just generally get out of the crate. She knows she can scream for a few minutes and she will be able to be with you at all hours.
She sounds like she is getting plenty of exercise during the day. My suggestion, and its not going to go well with the family, but she needs to be put in her crate and left in there until she quiets down.
Since they got her for you, they can also deal with the conquences...
There is no reason why she can't be crated and be quiet about it for up to 6-8 hours during the day and all night, as long as she is exercised enough during the day and evening before bed.
There are plenty of owners on here that work during the day and crate their dogs during the day, after morning exercise, then let them out at night for family time and exercise, then crate for night time.
Your dog has taught you she can't be crated. Put her in the crate, and leave her there until she is quiet, no matter HOW long it takes and then make her stay there for longer, then let her out. . It may take HOURS before she shuts up, but don't let her out no matter what............ Its time YOU start making the rules, not her.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She used to go on the property but she wont now I could stand out there for hours and she wont go till we reach the other side of the road. I have crate trained, the only problem is that I cant let her scream for hours on end until I give in because I cant have her doing that waking up 5 other people in house in the process and I cant have her doing it while I work during the day because I cant be on the phone with client with that racket in the background its highly unprofessional.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sounds like she's got you trained pretty well.

I think it would help if you started training her to potty in the yard. Do it just like you would with house training any puppy, take her out on a leash to where you want her to go. If she doesn't go in about 10 minutes, take her back in, and either crate her or tether her to you. After about half an hour, take her back out. Repeat this until she potties, and then throw a party.

As for playing with her flirtpole in the middle of the night, all you are doing is teaching her that night time = play time. When you take her out, leash her, take her to her potty spot, and then right back into her crate. NO playing. Make night time potty trips as unemotional as possible. As a matter of fact, don't even really talk to her other than "lets' go" and your potty cue.

Another tip to try for middle of the night potty trips is to set your alarm clock to just before her usual wake up time, and take her outside before she has a chance to get worked up.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I know it will be hard for the other family members, but making her realize she won't get out of the crate when she is screaming and crying is the only way to stop her antics. It might take two or three nights of noise, but then it will go away. Since you have been dealing with this for months, then it won't hurt the family to deal with it for a few nights so everyone can have peace at night.
Night time is sleeping time, not playing. Unless she has some issues, most 8 month old puppies can hold it all night, most are sleeping through the night at 4 months. She doesn't need to go outside to potty, she wants to . The only time my dog needs to go out if is she has an upset tummy and believe me, she doesn't just stand around, she hits the ground running and does her business. Then she wants back inside. Your puppy, but not going potty until you walk her across the street has trained you for more nighttime fun.
Put her in her crate and make her deal with life. Give her a bone to chew on to keep her busy or a peanut butter filled Kong, something that she only gets in in her crate.
She doesn't need to get up for going potty, she is just wanting up cause she knows she gets to play. To her mind, getting up at night means flirt time and that equals fun.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going away for two weeks.. I leave on Friday and I was going to bring Penny with me but I ended up booking her to be boarded for the two weeks with my trainer... Im hoping that the two weeks will help break her of her bad habits if not I will have to crate her and leave her crated even while she is throwing a fit and hope that my family doesnt give me too much grief (why I ever moved back home I have no idea I should have stayed where I was at but I wanted to be involved in my nephews life and well barely anywhere around here is pet friendly unless you own your home or have a small dog so decided to move back to my parents house which sucks, they buy me a puppy to help me get over the loss of my previous GSD and then get ticked at me when the pup is bat **** crazy! UGG!)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It doesn't matter what age you got her. What matters is what is happening now. She has you trained. Now you have to fix it. Go get a trainer ASAP.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree with all the advice you've been given here. She has trained you.
She needs to learn that she only gets out of the crate if she's quiet and calm.

It sounds like you have a full house at home which makes it hard, but could you make a deal with everyone to give it 3 days. Don't back down with Penny if she's throwing a fit she doesn't get out of the crate. At first you'll have to catch those calm moments really fast, but I bet it doesn't take 3 days for her to get the hint. GSD's are smart she'll connect the dots faster then you think.
Trips at night are to potty and back to bed.
I don't even turn lights on at night when I have a pup we go out to their spot in the yard and back in to bed. Only exceitment is a "Good Boy" when they potty. If they don't potty then back to the crate. No flirt poles at night! Who can sleep when they're all hyped up.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I have to agree with the others, she's trained you to do what she wants.

Delgado was bad about sleeping all night, he would wake up at 2 AM and want to play. I kept it straight forward from day one, if you whine you go outside on a leash and get 10-15 seconds, either do your business in this time or you go right back inside and it's bedtime again. I never spoke or gave treats, it was in and out and then back to bed.

He learned quickly that I wasn't interested in playing and there was no fun in waking up in the middle of the night so he slowly started just sleeping. I made sure he was really tired before going into the crate and if I heard a little whining I would wait for 10 seconds and if it happened again I would get up right away and scoop him up and outside.

I would tell your trainer about the problem so she's aware, hopefully by the end of the two weeks she'll be used to that schedule and it will continue on to you. Be firm about no more playing, in and out and that's it. If she whines, too bad. I would verbally correct her firmly that whining is not acceptable and buy earplugs for yourself and for your family.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Maybe while she is being boarded, they can give her some crate training time. She will learn not to go outside at night since a boarding kennel will not be doing that, she eventually she will be sleeping all night. If they will work with her during the day and are able to do some crate training, that will also help.
Before you pick her up after two weeks, tell your family that you will be letting her cry in the crate until she stops, no more getting up at night so she can play.Even if she has learned to sleep all night because nobody is going to let her up to potty and play at the kennel, she will want to go right back to the getting up at night game... Do not give in. Hopefully she will also have learned about being in crates and being quiet during that two weeks time span.
If the boarding kennel will not work with her, maybe you can find a trainer that will do some crate training while you are gone. I imagine, knowing how smart GSD's are, she will learn very quickly that nobody is going to let her out and she just needs to shut the heck up.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
This opinion might not be popular, but I have to express it. OP, you have struggled with this dog from the beginning. I think maybe you were still grieving the loss of your other dog and maybe Penny came into your life at the wrong time because of that.

Would she be better off in another home? Would you be better off letting her go (responsibly, of course) and then bringing in another dog at some later date?

I feel so badly for both of you! Penny deserves to have an owner that wants her and can't imagine life without her, and you deserve to share your life with a dog that you at least want to bond with and that you have room in your heart for.

I know I haven't read every post you have ever made on life with Penny. But I have read enough of them to get the impression that you're not experiencing much (if any) of the positives that keep us trucking through the negatives as we raise our dogs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Sheilah

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
This opinion might not be popular, but I have to express it. OP, you have struggled with this dog from the beginning. I think maybe you were still grieving the loss of your other dog and maybe Penny came into your life at the wrong time because of that.

Would she be better off in another home? Would you be better off letting her go (responsibly, of course) and then bringing in another dog at some later date?

I feel so badly for both of you! Penny deserves to have an owner that wants her and can't imagine life without her, and you deserve to share your life with a dog that you at least want to bond with and that you have room in your heart for.

I know I haven't read every post you have ever made on life with Penny. But I have read enough of them to get the impression that you're not experiencing much (if any) of the positives that keep us trucking through the negatives as we raise our dogs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Sheilah
I've been having this same thought. I think she is young, and a puppy, and that some of these issues are training related. But if its not an enjoyable experience emotions are simply going to take over and you're going to resent her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Buy your family some ear plugs. Stick her on the other end of the house. Cut water a couple hours before bed time. And let her cry it out. She's way passed old enough to be able to make it all night.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Spend the $11 and get a bark off. Yes the thing you see on TV that omits a high pitched noise in reaction to her whining and barking. You will not hear it and it WILL stop her. Diesel barked his face off in the kennel before I bought it, i set it right next to his kennel and he barked maybe 2 times and that was it. I dont even use it any longer took about a week and now he is quiet. Can't hurt its $11 and the training is spot on without your intervention

Bark Off "As Seen On TV", Dog Training and Behavior Control for Sale Online | PetSolutions

·
Registered
721 Posts
Buy your family some ear plugs. Stick her on the other end of the house. Cut water a couple hours before bed time. And let her cry it out. She's way passed old enough to be able to make it all night.

My Leo was a year old before she could make it all the way through the night. She would have to go out between 5:00 and 6:00 AM, or she would pee, and sometimes poop, in her crate. Eventually, we were able to stretch it out to 7:00, or even later, but if she starts really hollering, I know I have to take her out.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My Leo was a year old before she could make it all the way through the night. She would have to go out between 5:00 and 6:00 AM, or she would pee, and sometimes poop, in her crate. Eventually, we were able to stretch it out to 7:00, or even later, but if she starts really hollering, I know I have to take her out.
My pup's 12 weeks old today and he's been sleeping through the night without having to go out since he was 10 weeks. Every dog I've ever owned was sleeping through the night by 3 or 4 months at the latest. He can physically do it. It's a training issue she's dealing with.

And I agree with everyone else. This dog needs some tough love because right now she's the one training the humans.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Everybody has hit in on the head.

"Tough Love". When the dog is in the kennel you have to pretend that it is an enclosed sound proof room. You do not hear or see anything the dog does. Eventually the dog will give up. Never let the dog out unless it is completely quiet and calm. May take a few days, a week, two weeks for some or longer since this has been going on for so long... introduce ear plugs to your family or move the kennel to a separate room, basement, whatever you have.

This is the only way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts