German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, feel free to say whatever comes to mind!

I am pretty happy with how she is maturing personally, and there are things I would change but I love getting second opinions because sometimes people notice things I've missed or simply have great info to offer! :)

14 month old female, my first dog bred by myself.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I don't usually start with a negative...... What first caught my eye is her top line and then how, right now, her rear looks like it belongs on another dog. She is a bit long through the loin and hasn't filled out yet so that is a lot of what I am seeing. Her withers is also flat. Being a black dog doesn't help. I have dealt with that before too. BUT she has a beautiful shoulder, very good angulation in the rear, would like to see a bit tighter foot, but her pasterns are very good. Excellent secondary characteristics and dark eyes.

Reactions: Cschmidt88

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't usually start with a negative...... What first caught my eye is her top line and then how, right now, her rear looks like it belongs on another dog. She is a bit long through the loin and hasn't filled out yet so that is a lot of what I am seeing. Her withers is also flat. Being a black dog doesn't help. I have dealt with that before too. BUT she has a beautiful shoulder, very good angulation in the rear, would like to see a bit tighter foot, but her pasterns are very good. Excellent secondary characteristics and dark eyes.
Thank you!

I really appreciate the feedback! I definitely agree overall, although I would also prefer she had a bit longer upperarm, longer lower thigh(shorter hock too), and a bit more bone.

Her topline isn't exactly what I prefer, but I am happy with it because it's an improvement from her dad's and a step closer to what I'd like to see. I would also like stronger feet, they are a bit tighter than her mom's but she didn't get her dad's super nice feet. She got a straighter front assembly (referring to easty west front not as in angulation) than both her parents, so I lucked out there. Also, I'd prefer a straighter tail, you can't see it in these obviously but it's a tad flamboyant. ^_^"

·
Registered
856 Posts
I see "flat in the withers" often on this forum. Would you be able to provide an example of a dog who had really good withers as comparison? I'm always wondering what that would look like in a dog.

Other than that, I'm no conformation expert, so I'm just here to say your dog is beautiful.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see "flat in the withers" often on this forum. Would you be able to provide an example of a dog who had really good withers as comparison? I'm always wondering what that would look like in a dog.

Other than that, I'm no conformation expert, so I'm just here to say your dog is beautiful.
Thank you!

And her dam has what I would consider high withers.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Neck flowing into a high withers which then flow into the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts