German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great question!

So I'm actually a Mal & GSD fan and am also active duty military. Some of our working dogs are cross bred through the military working dog MWD program. They're trying to get the best out of breeds such as the agility and durability of a Mal but the size of a GSD.

Like you, I have a GSD/Mal type pup with unusual coloring, and the only time I've run across dogs that look just like mine are rarely in pictures of a few of our MWDs, rescues or in Google searches.

I want to do a DNA test, but don't know how accurate those are for dogs. I've searched online for blond or golden sables but have only found breeders for almost pure white ones with no mask.

I've tried to find out more about comparable MWDs but haven't gotten anywhere with them either. They had one that looked like Phoenix's twin in a recruiting video a few years ago. If anyone knows anyone breeding pups like either of ours, please let me know. Mine is smaller and square backed like a Mal (70-75 pounds as a male) but has the chill temperament of a GSD.

.......I never have. His papers are GSD. But recently someone mentioned that he must be Malinois because there is no way that she has never seen a dog that was a golden sable color like mine (apparently her family raised GSDs in the Midwest).

It makes me wonder. I have never ever seen a GSD like mine even on the internet. There are similars but none that are yellowish-gold in color like a lab.

Maybe he isn't a GSD like I have always assumed, Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was Lucy out of Minnesota? My rescue (out of Malinois Rescue) was left at the vet in Texas...looks a lot like Lucy.

This is our girl, Lucy. When she came into rescue, she was listed as a Mal/GSD mix. Other than the color, I see no Mal in her. It's hard to tell from her pics, but she is very tall and large. (Almost 90 lbs)
A couple of weeks ago, we "failed" her as fosters and my wife and I decided to adopt her ouselves and keep her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our puppy Mya looks like that. Her father is a pure bred long hair GSD with typical black and tan markings (photo not shown); I can't tell what her mother (see the first photo) is, and the owner said she is mostly GSD, with the possibility of Malinois a couple of generations back. There are a number of black and tan pups in the litter, and Mys is one of the tan puppies. I attached photos of Mya when she was 14 weeks, 12 weeks, and 10 weeks.

We plan to do some genetic testing for our curiosity.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
.......I never have. His papers are GSD. But recently someone mentioned that he must be Malinois because there is no way that she has never seen a dog that was a golden sable color like mine (apparently her family raised GSDs in the Midwest).

It makes me wonder. I have never ever seen a GSD like mine even on the internet. There are similars but none that are yellowish-gold in color like a lab.

I've seen GSDs like that! They are quite beautiful. Is he a rescue?

·
Registered
56 Posts

Yes! My girl is mainly sable. We were told people thought she was Belgian Malinois but DNA test confirmed 50% GSD.
Let me see if I can attach a picture......

·
Registered
1 Posts

Your German Shepherd is a golden sable he is a sable with the AU gene. It means that his undercoat is gold instead of black or gray or silver. I have a eight month German Shepherd that I have been trying to figure out exactly what his coat is and after a little bit of research I came to that determination. the other people that commented that showed pictures are showing fawns and they are different coats. How are you know it’s a sable is if you look at a hair and it has tri coloring also the tail will look like other sables tails (under part of his tail should be solid creme/gold and top should be sable)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
I am the original poster. My dog has been dead for several years. He died of lymphoma. I was thinking about him today and decided to log on. In fact, I think about him often. He was the best dog in the world and never bit or barked. He was 100% GSD without any Malinois or other breed in his line. I tried to get another dog like him from the breeder but was told he was an anomoly and they haven't had that golden sable in a litter since his birth. Also he was much bigger than a Malinois and was not lean.

I still have never seen a GSD as beautiful as my boy in my eyes at least. I can't wait to see him again. He is in the breed colors chart at the bottom left. The top of his back is in wheatish-golden color not dark or reddish in color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I rescued what I was told by owner was a Belgian Malinois. I had DNA testing and found she is Ay Fawn GSD. She has a very healthy genetic health profile and low percentage of inbreeding. I had never heard of the less common colors and patterns. I absolutely love this girl and her color too. Wish they were more common. Would love to learn where she was bred and who her parents were.
Mammal Dog Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
Mammal Dog Canidae German shepherd dog Dog breed

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have one but he's 4 mths but I'm pretty sure he's going to look a lot like him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I couldn't get the pictures from the original post, but this is Max he is half GSD half Mal. There are more and more Mals running around and subsequently more mixs. I have seen full blood GSD''s with washed out tan coats as well, they are considered a flaw, some breeders tout as a rare color. The guy who created the breed said a good dog can't be a bad color, or something to that effect. There are a lot of breeders crossing the breeds trying to get the best out of both, that's another post though.
Oh my, I just adopted a puppy from the shelter and in shock I thought this was a photo of him for a second!
What a cutie (i'm a bit biased tho)

I was wondering what breed he is but this is a pretty good indicator

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog
This is our new addition to the family. Was told she is only 9 months old and she is huge! Lanky right now but she is starting to fill out. Was wondering about her color also and that is how I wound up here.
All of y'all got some good looking pups!

Was wondering, as big as she is now, how much bigger will she get? I've had a Shepard in the past, she was all white and her name was Shasta. Wish I still had photos of her. Anyways what I was getting at is I don't care how big she will actually get, she will always be part of the family. But I'm 6'2" and when she jumps up on me with her paws on my shoulders we are almost eye to eye.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have also the same color like you have. At first i was shocked because she looks like a malinois but on the papers she is a GSD. She’s 6mos old

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two, a 7 month old brother and sister combo. I recently got them DNA tested and they were 100% GSD. Which now leaves me baffled as they are uncommon.
The DNA test labels them as Sable but they clearly lack some of the colorings of standard GSDs (ex. Saddle is non-existent). Maggie has perfectly pitched ears, while Maverick has one pitched and one floppy.

I’d really like to learn more if anyone has information!

Maggie

Maverick

Maggie (L) & Maverick (R)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts