German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......I never have. His papers are GSD. But recently someone mentioned that he must be Malinois because there is no way that she has never seen a dog that was a golden sable color like mine (apparently her family raised GSDs in the Midwest).

It makes me wonder. I have never ever seen a GSD like mine even on the internet. There are similars but none that are yellowish-gold in color like a lab.

Maybe he isn't a GSD like I have always assumed, Thoughts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
He's gorgeous! I've seen a few at my local rescues. There was a member here who's dog passed away and it looked like yours. My dog has a saddle and people think she's part mal-I think the general public don't realize how many colors GSDs come in. I've never seen a saddle less shepherd with such a nice mask as yours, though.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've seen two that looked like yours and several pictures on the internet as well....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Some i've found online....

Reactions: Rabidwolfie

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some i've found online....
Cool. This dog is even more yellow than my dog. I started to think that maybe my papers didn't mean anything and he was mixed GSD/Malinois/???. I don't care I love my dog as much as anyone ever could.

thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Cool. This dog is even more yellow than my dog. I started to think that maybe my papers didn't mean anything and he was mixed GSD/Malinois/???. I don't care I love my dog as much as anyone ever could.

thanks for the feedback!

glad I could help. I wish I had pics of the ones I've met but I was so in awe of their coloring it didn't cross my mind until I was already at home lol.

·
Registered
892 Posts
He is a nice looking boy..but hes got a red hue on his back and ears..I wonder maybe if he is almost like a faded liver sable or something..But i guess if he wa liver at all he would have that pinky looking nose and around his eyes...But looks like his pigment isnt too light. He's cute w.e his colour is..if hes called a golden sable then I guess thats what he is lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
Our girl is 1/2 Mali and she has the same coloring. I saw a chart once on the different color combos for GSDs and the closest we've come to a determination on Suki's coloring is 'Blonde' GSD. Her father was a sable, mom was a Mali.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Someone else here posted pics recently of their dog which they thought to be "red sable" and there was a lot of explanation of those color patterns.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Yes, our girl has a slight red hue to her as well. Can you point out the thread? I'd be interested to see some others with the same coloring?
Geepers, it's been a few months. I'm not sure I can find it again. I think it's in Pictures??

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah there is another guy on here with a very light colored shepherd. He was thinking about showing her as well but I think he realized that the coat would pretty much make it impossible to win anything.

How do you know your dog is a sable? I'm just wondering what lead you to that conclusion. Do you have a pedigree that you can post? To me it looks more like a saddle back with a very washed out saddle, its usually what leads to this type of coloring.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
This is our girl, Lucy. When she came into rescue, she was listed as a Mal/GSD mix. Other than the color, I see no Mal in her. It's hard to tell from her pics, but she is very tall and large. (Almost 90 lbs)
A couple of weeks ago, we "failed" her as fosters and my wife and I decided to adopt her ouselves and keep her.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts