German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hans will be 8 in January, and I try hard not to think about how long he has left. His mom passed away last year in October. She would have been 13 in January. She had the dreaded hemangiosarcoma.

His sire, Dix, was still standing stud at 11. He was sold by my breeder and I did reach out to the buyer, but never got a response, so I don’t know anything else.

These days, Hans sleeps a lot. With the exception of his Pannus, food problems and occasional skin flareups, he is reasonably healthy. He is sporting a dignified white chin. Still likes to play, and is the excellent guard dog he always was.

Been wanting to ask about your seniors, past and present. How old are they? How are they doing?
For those who had a senior, how old were they?
Pics would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Karat was 12 when put down due to arthritis- started around 8. Photos 6 months before he passed enjoying the summer and his yard. Max and Luna are 5 and 3- presently. Some long lives in lines
One of the saddest things to see them decline. Karat in his hay day one of my very favorite photos - the photo in my avatar-

Attachments

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
King died at 12 while not in my care and under somewhat shady circumstances. I had seen him just days earlier and he was his normal energetic self.
Pals age was unknown but estimated at 8 or so when we found him dead beside the house. Presumed poisoned.
Lex died at 12. Euthanized due to health issues, one of youngest deaths in that line.
Sabs was just a few short weeks from her 13th birthday. You all know her story.
Bud nearly made 14. Very nearly. And got his birthday steak anyway, he earned it.
Not mine, but Sasha(Buds mom and Lex's sister) was 15 and his sire was 14. One of his female relatives died at 16.
Shadow just turned 9. I have spent 9 years expecting her to die any time now, being told she won't last much longer. I try not to think about it. I try to just be grateful for the time I've had. She sleeps more now, tires faster, her eyes are starting to blur a bit and she has a grey chin. And a cluster of grey hairs at the tip of her tail!

She still likes camping.
20190511_191739.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Carly will be 10 in January. Other than losing an eye this summer, she is very healthy. Her sire was 11 when he died. Her mother died early at 7 - she had a stroke.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Heidi made it to 14 before we had to let her go. https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/loving-memory/103823-heidi-2-11-95-2-21-09-a.html

Nikki will be 10 on 11/21 and is doing great for her age, despite her health issues. She sleeps a little more and plays a little less ball but is way more active than Heidi was at her age.

She was just diagnosed with perianal fistuals in August and that has me worried but other than that, you really can't tell that she is about to turn ten. Here is a picture from earlier this week, she fell asleep waiting for her dinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Koda turns 10 this month. Still going strong besides some digestive trouble in the past year. We're working with our vet to find the cause. Other than that her eyes are starting to cloud a bit and she sleeps a bit deeper at night. She'll stay on the bed with us all night now where as she used to get down after I fell asleep. People still ask if she's a puppy lol She still doesn't have any quit, will work til she drops if I don't watch her.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
My Beau was 13.5 when she passed from old age. I don't recall there ever being a day with her sick... Ever. Healthy dog with longevity in her lines.

Stark, my poor boy died this July after his cancer spread to the lympnodes in his throat restricting breathing. He was only 10 years old. He also had lupus. Worst health but best dog.

Stark @ 1 year and Beau @ 13.5 years

Attachments

Reactions: readaboutdogs

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Some old dogs....Remi is going to be 6 in Feb. His grandmother was 13 when we got him. He is still a whiny baby, which I doubt he will ever outgrow. Hoping that as he ages, his need for exercise decreases. He gets lots of it now, but have noticed that he doesn't want to play ball as long as before...but wants to play more frequently during the day. 15 fetches and he is done for the session. Put him with other dogs or on a hike...he can go for hours. I'm betting he hits 12, one thing is ertain, I will always have a male GSD...big headed east german knuckle head that will drive me nuts. The next one is getting titled.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STARK is gone? I can’t believe it... I just can’t.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
My first GSD was never fed or cared for properly by her owner. She was a walking skeleton when I adopted her, and began having issues with her spine by age 8. I had to euthanize her at age 9.

My most recent dogs both made it to 14, and Star is still going strong at 12, though she sleeps a lot more, and is somewhat deaf. She still loves to chase balls, though she isn't as fast as she used to be. She will be 13 in January. I've had her since she was 12 weeks old, and she's always been a very healthy dog. She is a cross of German show lines and American lines.

At age 8, she was doing schutzhund training. I don't consider that to be old for a GSD - more like middle aged!

Eska is 6, and her ancestors have mostly all made it to a ripe old age. The most recent one - her grandfather - was the only exception. He had to be euthanized at 10 due to hemangiosarcoma. :crying: Up until just before his death, he was still a total goofball, and loved playing in the snow.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
some old dogs....remi is going to be 6 in feb. His grandmother was 13 when we got him. He is still a whiny baby, which i doubt he will ever outgrow. Hoping that as he ages, his need for exercise decreases. He gets lots of it now, but have noticed that he doesn't want to play ball as long as before...but wants to play more frequently during the day. 15 fetches and he is done for the session. Put him with other dogs or on a hike...he can go for hours. I'm betting he hits 12, one thing is ertain, i will always have a male gsd...big headed east german knuckle head that will drive me nuts. The next one is getting titled.
Keep that dream of him settling down. :laugh2: This is Bud at I think 12? Giving me the "who me?" look when I told him to get away from the fence. He was 8 or so when he vaulted over the 6' fence to come and assist me in my chat with the neighbor.
Miss that big headed idiot.

20150721_124008.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,032 Posts
Tica will be 11 in March.

She has cataracts, and some loss of strength/coordination in her rear. I about went crazy trying to get to the bottom of "why", but nothing was conclusive, so I shifted my focus to senior fitness for her, and I think that was the right decision.

Starting Nosework with her was the best decision I could have made for her, she had a great year. When she was younger her food drive was not great, and nasty generic cheese balls were the only thing she'd work extra hard for. These pics are from last month.... I told her if she Q'd I'd pay her in cheese balls. She exceeded expectations and held up her end of the bargain, so I filled her whole trophy bowl and let her devour them all lol.

I told my husband over the weekend that I cannot imagine raising a puppy without her. She has the perfect balance of tolerance, rules, and fairness. I'm very grateful she's here to help raise my current puppy, and I hope we have a few more years together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
image.jpg
From left to right, Clipper--12 years 5 months
Hooch--mr. moo--got ya 2009- he was full grown, we think he's about 12 now (still living large!)
Cody----11 years 8 months--my heart

I think the pic of Clipper was winter of 2012, the pic of Cody was in June before he died in sept.
That's a pic of moo at petsmart graduation October 2013
Will always miss my boys.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
So far every German Shepherd I’ve owned has lived to at least 13 and one was almost 14. I had another herding breed that lived to age 16. I’ve never lost a dog so far under age 13, but that seems to be less common now and I don’t understand why.

·
Registered
160 Posts
STARK is gone? I can’t believe it... I just can’t.
Yes, we said goodbye in July.

He was given 6 months due to lymphoma about two years ago. The last few days his breathing was very laboured and we believe his cancer spread to his throat.

Devastating loss... I still can't believe he isn't with us.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts