German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog loves to swim, she will jump dive in to any lake or swamp, river, etc.. And just go for hours. Small creeks she will just get her feet wet

I thought to get her a couple of plastic kiddy pools? When i filled them with water she wouldnt get in? She actually really didnt want to get in or have nothing to do with them?

Is this normal? This is the first time she has seen these type of plastic kiddie pools in her life though. But they are filled with water. She sees all kinds of new types of wild water ways weekly and never had a problem with them? None ever look the same. Some are swamps, some are creeks, some are ponds, some are man made corey, that I take her to.

If the water source is deep enough she will actually just dive into it from a high place like she will jump off a ledge into the water drop into it like a person make a huge splash. Maybe about 5 or 6 feet up high? she just does it herself. I thought it wasnt fair to not have a pool for her to at least sit in?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Rusty loves the water. He's in the lake, streams, etc when we go hiking. Wants me to blast him with the garden hose. Bought him a kiddie pool...no interest at all. With the exception of one that he wanted to drag around the yard:rolleyes:

If I put his toys in he will take them out, then he's done. My SIL GSD will lay in his kiddie pool, loves it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have u tried to get rusty to sit in? will he go in? Its like now all of a sudden clean water bothers them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
have u tried to get rusty to sit in? will he go in? Its like now all of a sudden clean water bothers them.
Shadow was unsure about the bright pink kiddie pool I bought her until I lured her in with her favorite ball. I also tried sitting in the pool and splashing around to get her interested. Try using a ball. I know Shadow adores dropping her ball into the water and then fishing it out.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
He'll go in but loses interest fast it seems. He spent more time trying to mouth the sides of the pool in an attempt to pull it. He will even put his head under water to get his toy. He would step in & get back out, but doesn't want to lay in it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wanted to put epison salt in it and then have her lay in it , or shampoo her in it also would be so much better

yeah maybe in time i will try with balls just wierd cause shes always willing to get into or do anything

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
hey pets4life - don't put in Epsom salts -- if the dog drinks the water , and what dog wouldn't you could run in to some very serious problems with diarrhea and vomitting . This is natural laxative .

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if my dog didn't like a pool i wouldn't force him to try it. does
your dog like being sprayed with the hose? sometimes i lather my
dog up and rub it in. then i spray him with the hose. he'll chase the
streams of water. then i spray him to rinse the shampoo off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dog is the same way... She loves the hose, tide pools at the beach, and ponds/streams, but this is the 2nd summer I've bought her a cheap-o kiddie pool with little success (I thought it was a brilliant solution to my wanting to spend time outside with her and prevent her from overheating). I think her issue might be that she can't control the depth of the water in a pool, while at the beach or other bodies of water she decides how deep she goes, if that makes sense.

We have a local dog park that has a stream, and she goes bananas there, but only goes in mid-leg. Same with the beach, she never goes in past her shoulders. My husband and I took her kayaking once with her trainer, which was fine until she jumped out of my kayak to get to hubby's, and realized she couldn't touch the ground. Cue flailing and splashing about pathetically until hubby pulled her into his kayak. She was wearing her life jacket and CAN swim, I think she just prefers not to.

As far as her kiddie pool goes, last year there was nothing doing. This year I bought a larger one that we could both fit in, and have had some success coaxing her in by splashing and bringing in her favorite toys. I figure, for $10 at wal-mart, its worth trying to get her to enjoy something that will keep her cool on a hot summer day.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Knuckles loves the lake, took him awhile to get used to it - a whole summer actually (didn't help that my SIL pushed him in off the end of the dock with her "thats how you get him used to it" thinking), but now we can't keep him out of it. But turn a hose on or get the bath water running and he's finding any place to hide. I doubt he'd get in a pool.... to small/confined area.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
carmspack good you mention that lol

mine will go swim out far out in the lake into waves and stuff that is a cute story though mrs p.

My hose sucks because it just doesn't have enough power behind it for some reason. They had special dog kiddie pools at canadian tire that I got that said for dogs on them, I thought it was neat that they made some for dogs now and bought 2 lol Not as big as the ones I used for ducks.

Mine loves to go for walks in the rain also.

·
Registered
31,765 Posts
Jax won't go near a kiddie pool and runs from the hose. but she'll dive into a pond with no issue. go figure....

·
Registered
519 Posts
My guys have all hated the kiddie pools to begin with, although they all love to swim in any kind of lake, pond, river, stream or whatever. We go to a few shows in the summer that have kiddie pools around for the dogs and my guys have gotten used to me luring them with a treat (or just pick them up and plunk them in if they won't walk into it) so they can cool down. Just to wet their feet and then I rub the water on their bellies. Lots of calm petting and a few treats while they are standing in the pool and they all learned to enjoy this. When I first brought a kiddie pool home that is all they would do - drink from it and step into it when I told them to. So we ran around in the yard like fools, I threw their balls into the pool, get them to run through it, I ran through it, I fell more than once on the wet grass lol. Then I'd leave them out with it on a hot day and they realized that laying in it was quite nice. Took some work on my behalf but they now like their kiddie pools. They would still all much prefer to go swimming in actual bodies of water though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts