German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Micah did last year. :rolleyes: Completely housetrained, and never done such a thing. We were away for 6 days in Florida with my SO's family, and my mother watched the fur and feathered kids. She let him out of his crate to run around before letting him out for a potty break and he apparently though we were kind enough to put a tree up in the living room for him to use so he didn't have to go outside in the cold wet temps. :D

Just came to mind given that we are using a fake tree this year...hopefully it won't look as "real." :confused:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
My mom's poodle did this one year when they came to visit on christmas morning...ON THE PRESENTS!!! My dogs looked at him like he was crazy! After it was cleaned up we all had a good laugh!

·
Registered
69 Posts
LOL!! I almost spit out my coffee. Kai has never done such a thing, but if she did, I don't even think I could get mad. I never really thought about it, but it is a live tree, so I could see how it would be confusing.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Nope, our girls have never tried that but I have heard of that happening with some friends that have male dogs. Here's a note; one of our male cats marked a tree once - guess where that tree went - outside!!!
:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
nope but we also dont use live trees. I personally cant stand live trees. The cats like to sleep in the fake ones and the dogs pretend they're presents sleeping under it lol.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
No that hasn't happened to us. We don't put up a Christmas tree, but at my parent's house they put up a live one. We took the dogs there for Christmas last year and they ignored it.

But then again, Niko still hasn't learned to lift his leg to pee yet, so he doesn't even pee on trees outside.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Nope but when we first switched from our old fake tree to live ones, my terrier mix eyed it a few times in a way that I thought he might!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Oh yeah, I have had that happen. Then I had no sooner cleaned up the mess then two cats raced to the top of the tree and the entire thing toppled over, shattering glass balls everywhere.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Harley gives it serious thought every year, I have to watch him like a hawk when we first bring it in. After a few hours and yelps from me when I see him lifting his leg, he gives up.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
we didn't get a tree last year because we had just adopted Dodger and we weren't sure how he'd be with the live tree. Chopper (who's male) has never peed on a tree, I don't have to worry about this anymore because the poor old guy can't lift his leg to pee anymore. I think this year we're getting a tree, I'm a little nervous on how he'll react to a live tree in the house since he marks every tree outside lol. It should be interesting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This will be Bandit's first Christmas so I don't know if he would or not. But he doesn't lift his leg yet..... But that is funny you can't help but to laugh. Dogs usually do like to lift their legs on trees and bushes... Maybe he did it from a natural instinct to mark his territory on the tree sent.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My former mom-in-law's lab peed on the tree every year.

My hubby made a round platform base, then we take a 6' pole & screw it thru the base. Put the tree on the base, tie it to the pole, and - voila - hanging Xmas tree! Safe for pets & kids. Now, if he'd just patent the darn thing, I could quit work...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
No, but we have seen glowing yellow eyes peering out at us from between the branches, flashing with the lights... darn cat.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
ROFL! This will be Max's first and Callan's as well. We do use a fake tree but it should be interesting 2 dogs and their first x-mas tree. I hope I still have ornaments when its over.

·
Registered
475 Posts
hahahahaha every single one of my past and present male dogs have pee'd on our fake xmas tree, gifts and all! :( That tree has been disinfected, hosed etc so many times now it's not funny. We bought a cheaper smaller tree one year to see if perhaps they were doing it because they could smell previous pee, nope didn't help the new tree got christened to. Xmas gifts don't go under our tree any more until all dogs are in bed xmas eve and the area surrounding the tree has been moped. It's an ordeal.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I guess I've been pretty lucky none of my dogs have done that and that none of the cats climb the tree (especially when I had 7 cats here!)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
never had this happen with any of my dogs, but like Shawn my kitties sure love climbing it:(

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Maybe Micah just felt that Christmas has been overcommercialized and was expressing his displeasure at such.

Jelpy and the Mesquite Mafia

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
No, but if there is snow on the deck, my girl thinks that qualifies as "ground" and is fair game for taking a squat. SIGH!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts