German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has your dog ever gotten in a fight with another dog? What did you do? Did you follow the standard wheel-barrow-hind-legs drag the dogs out of the fight? Did anyone get hurt? How were vet bills delineated? Do you have any tips to prevent or distract a dog fight?

I remember Smoke's reactivity. He once nearly bit my hand in attempt to get into it with a GSD and he once tried to chew his nylon leash to get at another dog. I've had to pull Smokey and Zeeva out of a few altercations and my initial reaction almost always has been to grab the collar and pull apart. Wrong, huh?

Anyway, I just wanna hear your experiences...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I have split up more dog fights than I can count, none really with my own dog, though. The one thing I always tell people is that when dogs fight, they lose awareness of others around them and can harm you without even realizing it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've only broken up pit bull fights. I used a hose. They seem to hate water.

Other than that my dogs get into "arguments". They go at each other barring teeth, stripes up and lots of noise, but they don't actually bite each other. We pull them apart. My smallest 20 pound dog starts these. The last one she started with the 70 pound gsd. I got in between them and pushed Riley (GSD) back telling him to leave it. I should have concentrated on the little dog, because she just followed. little dogs *shakes head* SHe is sweet...except for when she goes cujo.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
-Misty my oldest fought with the male lab that I had one time. She has fought with Robyn one time. All other dogs are corrected, most of them heed the correction.

-Tannor my golden was attacked by a Rott when he was 3-4 months. The only thing I could do was hold onto the jaws of the Rott so he could not bite down on the golden's head. Vet bills were over a thousand dollars and the Rott's owner paid all of them.

-Robyn my female GSD got into it with Misty my oldest. It was really not a big fight and its never happened again. Now they are buddies. Robyn got into a small tiff with the new GSD Midnite.

-Midnite my male GSD got into it with Robyn. It could have been worse then it was...he did try getting me out of the way when I broke it up, but he did not bite. He's been corrected by every dog in the house. When outside he is reactive right now, but I really think he would run like a baby if he pushed another dog to far. He has run into a couple reactive dogs and he completely ignores them.

None of the fights besides the Golden/Rott had any injuries, not even a scratch.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Ive had to break up a few fights throughout the years. Unfortunately when you are trying to break up the fight by yourself you cant grab the back legs of both dogs the only way I could break it up was the grabbing the collars which in all actuality was putting myself in harms way as well and I have been bitten in the process many times. Luckily the two fights involving Diesel, Diesel did not start, a dog attacked her while we at the beach and she fought back to defend herself, and again when I was fostering a GSD husky mix that was horribly food aggressive and again Diesel was attacked and fought back .

A dog fight can be scary but its even more scary when you dont know what you are doing and also if you dont keep calm if your freaking out and screaming its not going to help the situation. Keep calm get them apart, assess for injuries and move on.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It wasn't a real fight, but the closest we have ever come to one. I was walking Niko in town, a white bully breed dog came out of a yard and ran right at us. Niko has dog aggression, so he went for the dog as it approached us. I got knocked down, lost the leash. The altercation was 99% noise and posturing and showing teeth. There was a pause in the "fight" when both dogs stood stiffly staring at each other and I took that opportunity to grab the leash and give the white dog a face full of pepper spray.

The white dog decided he had better places to be. Niko recovered his composure quickly. It took me a lot longer to calm down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
An idea to distract: At the local dog park I saw someone being a soda can filled with coins and she would shake that to distract the dogs when they started posturing to fight. Seemed worth the 20 penny investment.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Minor tiffs, a yelled "HEY" gets it broken up quickly

One fight, a husky attacked Delgado for sniffing another dog. The husky jumped on his back and grabbed his scruff pinning him to the ground, Delgado was only 7-8 months I believe so he just submitted and didn't fight back. Another owner grabbed the husky and I grabbed Delgado and moved him away. Thankfully he wasn't hurt so we parted ways and I just avoided the husky when I saw him around.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Abbi was attacked by a dog at the park that had a muzzle on. I guess she knew the other dog had the muzzle and didn't really fight back just kept trying to get away. I grabbed the dog and picked him up and handed him back to the owner. Neither dog nor person was hurt

·
Registered
482 Posts
Unfortunately yes. My dog with muzzle on attacked by some little over confident dog. Blood was flying he was hanging on my dogs face. The owner just was standing there not even doing anything. When he reached down to pull him off he got bit (by his own dog because mine was muzzled!) The dog came right back at poor Diesel and I could not get him off so the only option was to kick him, I would never do that normally but the owner was not doing anything and my dog was bleeding. That was a few days after we brought home a dog aggressive dog... SMH

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Finn got nailed as a pup by two other dogs. I reached in, grabbed Finn by the scruff and held him up above my head as I yelled at the two dogs. Vet bills weren't an issue; Finn wasn't hurt and neither were the other dogs.

Other than that, I've split up a few while at work. The high pressure water can off the Fire Engine works as well as an indirect blast from a regular fire extinguisher, but pulling the back legs is the standard.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Unfortunately yea.

Dakota was on the beach...maybe 2 years old? Its been so long now. But anyway, a lady came up with her lab and I asked if her dog was friensly and ok with other dogs. Dakota is the one dog in a million who is truly great with every dog, never reactive or dominant or submissive and has been used numerous times to help dog aggressive or reactive dogs in their training. So the lady says yea sure her dog is great and the minute her dog gets a whiff of dakota she grabs kota at the throat and body slams her into the ground. Dakota reacted out of complete fight or flight and bit back. I screamed at the lady to get her dog while I pulled it off of dakota. The lady was then furious at ME because I didn't tell her that dakota was a female because oh by the way her lab was female aggressive. Like I was supposed to read her mind? Thankfully dakota has no issues from that.

Kaiser has been attacked several times, at various types of dog parks. He is now reactive to dominant dogs and will start something if the other dog even looks at him funny. I manage him now and we are working on the aggressiveness in the meantime. I literally pull him off the other dog by his neck/shoulders. I know I can do this with him but i don't recommend it if you don't trust your dog.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bubbles doesn't hang out with other dogs at the dog park. In her mind she is strictly there to catch a ball. Ever since she was 4 months at the dog park if there's a dog fight she comes to me BC I tell her to. I don't want her near it. She's a good girl.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes, some bully breed would not stop pestering and posturing towards my GSD (who tried to leave the dog alone) and they got into it. The stupid owner did not even attempt to help get them apart. There was no way I, a 5'2" girl, was going to be able to keep 2 large dogs apart unless I grabbed them both by the collar. Thankfully it didn't escalate to the point where they were trying to kill each other and I was able to barely hold them apart until the owner finally decided to step in after I chewed him out and dragged his dog off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thankfully no but we've only had Luke for a couple months. This thread makes me think about dog parks and interactions with other dogs a little differently. Unfortunately not all dog owners are responsible or even able to handle their pets. That's a huge pet peeve of mine and it's really unfortunate situations like this happen.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Has your dog ever gotten in a fight with another dog? What did you do? Did you follow the standard wheel-barrow-hind-legs drag the dogs out of the fight? Did anyone get hurt? How were vet bills delineated? Do you have any tips to prevent or distract a dog fight?

I remember Smoke's reactivity. He once nearly bit my hand in attempt to get into it with a GSD and he once tried to chew his nylon leash to get at another dog. I've had to pull Smokey and Zeeva out of a few altercations and my initial reaction almost always has been to grab the collar and pull apart. Wrong, huh?

Anyway, I just wanna hear your experiences...
Yes. And I pray I never see it again.

We mistakenly believed my roommate's Australian Shepherd was no longer antagonizing my Jack. We were wrong. Jack finally had enough, and took him down. Both of my girls joined Jack. I was alone with a four-dog fight. No water hose available. Managed to get them to the threshold, grabbed the Aussie's legs (they had him pinned, but were all on the other side of him), and pulled him inside and slammed the door in my pack's faces.

He was all kinds of torn up, but all superficial. All three of mine had punctures / slight tears. I had a couple of punctures and an inch long laceration.

Roommate wouldn't let me pay his vet bills, because we knew who the butthead was, and he chose to leave him free when he went out that night. I definitely also consider myself responsible, though. Huge learning curve on my part. I thought that because my dogs had several months of successful 5-day weeks at doggie day care without incident, that we would be fine with adding another dog. Didn't think that scenario all the way through. Doh.

I paid my own doctor bill. My dogs didn't get vetted. I saw no signs of infection and nothing big enough to stitch up on them.

TIPS: When introducing dogs into a new household together, make sure you do your homework and exercise caution. When one dog has been "stalking" and growling at another, don't trust that the problem is solved just because you have made corrections and a couple of weeks have passed without incident. Clearly, we were missing the cues.

After the fight, we went to a strict crate and rotate schedule. We wished we had started with one, instead :(

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I have broken up at least three fights w/ our current three and two between Dodger or rather Dodger attacking Lucky and Daisy joining in. Zeeva my first instinct is to grab collars as well but I have been teethed in the abdomen but just a small bruiseand no broken skin. I am now using water and it and my loud voice seems to stop. Lucky is a being a butt head but the triggers are the family room which is small and no way for them to have distance. Lucky sometimes isnt the culprit as Thunder does growly stink eye and so does Cheverily. I try to manage animal movement by girls first in the living room. The dogs in the past week while I had the flu and insiulin reactions all slept in our bedroom and were in the family room w/ me. aAl was good until Friday night when it must have been the end of the cease fire. We had an incidient but it was the three trying to go through the space between a chair and the recliner. The dogs are kept seperate when we are gone. Son keeps them seperate, I do seperate more then my husband. My nervousness I think sometimes sets it off. I'm trying to "be calm and carry on.
PS Jack and Mattie's Dad that sounds really scary. Glad everybodies OK including you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
At work is see a fight every so often. The last "fight" Avery was in was totally my fault. It's an open kennel where I work and had a complete brain fart and forgot to put this overly dominant untrained GSD in the sleeping room and they got into it when I walked Avery through the gate. Avery had a muzzle on and I was stuck in a corner, as I was trying to move Avery's bum around to get moving my hand got in the way. After that I just basically ran out and kicked the other GSD in the gut a few times to save my skin. The ones I see on the training yard are usually pulled apart by the back legs or via the long leashes, it's usually during social time that this happens. Once separated all dogs involved are immediately put in the dog position and have to relax before they can try and be social again. Avery is usually pretty good and ignoring the fights that happen too. I always call him to me and he will usually go into a down position on his own incase I have to help with the problem dogs.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I think, early training is very important. I have noticed that males get some sort of satisfaction out of fights even if beaten, they like this adrenaline flow. The most difficult task for the trainer to engrave into his dog's memory one simple rule "command before the action" becomes a psychological torture. How to make your dog looking at you before he dashed and attacked?
Young males exercise their agressive behaviour sometimes. They pretend to be adults, but don't have any experience in fighting, they bark more than bite. You can divert attention of your puppy with the ball, go away to play, come back and, if the story repeats, repeat this exercise of going away as many times as required. Finally, I would be happy only if I wasn't obliged to move away and my dog came to sit near me at first recall. Your dog learns to pause in his urge to run forward to other dog through diverting his attention onto something of a game with introduction of a new command. The second step is building a block of his anticipation of your command. The best situation for training that is when they play, run together or any other social involvement, absolutely engrossed in what they do. Try to break it, recall your dog when the game is at its hottest. Ask him to sit for a few minutes, talk to him, ask him to look at you. When you release him back into the play - it works as a treat of being a good boy.At the moment when dog fight has already started your recall must ring the bell.
kicked the other GSD in the gut
Wrong doing. By causing pain you cause his fury boiling and bubbling. Grab back legs of the attacker and drug him away swiftly until the distance allows you to catch his collar. And, never rely on the owner of other dog. Probably, he was bitten too many times being caught between two beasts and doesn't want to do anything about it any longer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts