German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9 month old GSD that has developed generalized itchy skin 3 weeks ago. Took her to the vet initially when we noticed she was scooting on her bottom and licking her front paw. She had no anal gland problem, she was just itchy. After washing with medicated shampoo and giving benadryl over 2 weeks those areas have calmed down, but still overall itching. Started the dog on Nordic Naturals Pet Cod Liver Oil almost 3 weeks ago hoping this will help to avoid the antihistamines. Has anyone tried this and has it helped? The vet said she is too young for a blood test to determine type of allergy and changing food to no grains Natural Balance Venison and sweet potato has no effect either.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Has your GSD been de-wormed? Or was that checked?

Have you shampooed your carpet if you have carpet? Used anything in your house (like detergents or sprays) that could be causing a reaction? Anything in the yard? What about flea meds?

Is it dry in your house? If so some humidity could help....but of course it could just be seasonal allergies. Filters in the home might help with that.

To answer your question: I haven't tried that brand of oils.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Good questions rjvamp. Itchy all over can also indicate a bug like mange.

Fish oils supply omega 3s and they do help with inflammation. But you got cod liver oil which is not the same thing. CLO supplies very small amounts of omegas and large amounts of vit a and vit d both of which your dog should be getting enough of through food and the sun. So look for just a fish oil. I do like the nordic naturals brand as it is tested to be pure and free of contaminants which is important to me in a fish oil, but I chose Carlson brand which is also tested but bit cheaper. I buy it here,

Carlson Norwegian Salmon Oil -- 180 Softgels + 50 Softgels Free - Vitacost

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Natalie for the info about the additional Vit A & D is the cod liver oil. I went on the Nordic Natural website and they do mention to be cautious if you are giving your dog other products that might have those vitamins like liver treats, then they might get too much, as you know these vitamins are stored in the fat and can accumulate over time. Nordic Naturals does carry another pet product with just the Omegas - no Vit A. Thanks for referring to the other website for salmon oil. If I can I will stick with Nordic as they are a local business in my area and would like to support them if I can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My GSD developed food allergies but was still somewhat allergic to Natural Balance L.I.D. grain-free because he was also allergic to the Flax Seed they use in that food. I really like Natural Balance, otherwise.

Right now I am feeding him California Natural grain-free since they use Sunflower Oil instead. He is not 100% agreeing with it and I am planning to try EVO Turkey & Chicken which only uses Herring as its omega source.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just came across this thread. I've been giving Joey one Nordic Naturals Omega 3 per day, along with one 400iu Vitamin E, and a 500mg Ester-C.

He still itches. Should I up the dosage of the Omega 3? How safe a dosage can he have?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You can go pretty high with fish oils. I don't know what the suggested dose is for different conditions, but I know if your giving it for allergies it's higher. Penny has some allergies, weights 75 lbs and get 4 capsules a day- 2 in am and 2 in pm.

This link has some info on dosages and the WDJ is pretty reputable so their info should hopefully be correct.

The Benefits of Fish Oil to Your Dog's Health - Whole Dog Journal Article

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Gretchen, my dog last year developed what I think was seasonal type of allergies. He was itchy but i think it was because of the high pollen count last year.
Jax08 recommended giving a teaspoon of raw (it has to be raw) honey daily and it has to be local to your area (like within 50 miles). I tried it with Bear and it did help to eleviate almost all of the itching after a while. I even took it and it helped me as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts