German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misty is 11.5 yrs old now. She eats and has bouts of energy, mostly due to Apollo and on occasion Batman. She sleeps more and now snores:) She loves sleeping outside and I let her(when I'm home) and I always have one of the bigger younger dogs out there with her in case of coyotes. She even gets playful when I try to get her to come in and I go along with it because I'm happy to see her moving. All my dogs are somewhat reacting to her and it's kinda scaring me because I believe they are sensing something. They all smell her back end, she has had anal gland issues before but I don't see anything now. Her back legs seem stiff sometimes and every now and then they cross and it looks like how a person crosses their legs if they have to go to the bathroom. She went swimming tonite and will go once a week to loosen her muscles up. I'm adding small amounts of bone broth and colostrum. Robyn seems more protective of her, which really warms my heart because it's like Misty knows Robyn has her back, especially if the boys get to rough. Robyn is always right there for Misty. So I'm going to take her in for bloodwork and an exam pretty much based on how the others are acting towards her. Has anyone else had other dogs in the house sense something? Is it possible they sense something? I really think they do. I guess it could be either a good or bad thing, if it's not something good maybe it could be something caught early. I'm not ready for her to slow down and this pretty much just stinks. I'm probably going to look at acupuncture for her along with swimming.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
No I haven't had this happen although Lucky was more watchful of Daisy and sniffed her more now that I think about it. I would have a senior check up and I think the dogs sense something is changing. I'm glad Misty is having a sweet and relaxing retirement and that she has you and Robyn at her back. This is hard watching your active dog slow down but Misty sounds like she still has a lot more miles to go just at a different pace.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
The animals in my opinion sense change. Call of the wild. Our king charles cavalier - bella was a saint but she never liked our cats. Our cats mostly lived in the basement with a cat door if they wanted to come up. All but one cat came up she did not put up with Bellas shenanigans. Bella was okay with her and kittens but would bully try our other two cats because they were afraid.
When Bella started getting sick she had-degenerative heart failurec and her condition was progressing. The cats started to come up they sensed Bellas weakness and were know longer afraid of bella and the cats came to hang out upstairs with us. We have wild turkeys that live in the woods that would occasionally visit our yard. At the same time bella was getting sick the wild Turkeys soon after starting visiting our yard much more then usual and when bella passed away they started to invade our yard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts